Lifter Issues?

seanannnigans

Reaction score
I've seen one or two folks mention this still being an issue with 2022 trucks and/or the ZR2. Any current owners out there experiencing any lifter drama or sounds leading up to that drama? I got lucky with my 2014 2WT having zero issues and 2019 RST having only minor electronic bugs but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried paying $80k for a truck with that kind of dependability issue still looming. Having minor bugs is one thing but what I've seen (consistently) with these lifter issues leaves folks stranded on freeways/interstates hundreds of miles from home, etc. with catastrophic failure of their engine as well as weeks in the shop. HOPEFULLY I get tons of responses telling me those lifter issues are done and over with and not to worry about my ZR2 on order. 🤞

The lifters have been a problem since 2007 and GM hasn't changed the design at all since then(when cylinder deactivation started). They don't normally fail until they get a bunch of miles on them though.

It's been a while since I've seen a relatively new 5.3 or 6.2 have a lifter failure. What happened back in 2020-2021 was a bad batch of lifters from the supplier. There were a lot of factors that cause this but you can pretty much blame the disaster that was Covid and the production problems that it caused back then.

I have a 2021 Trail Boss with a 6.2L that was built right at the tail end of the timeframe when it could have issues. So far, 15k+ miles with no issues(knocks on wood).

My 2009 with its lifter eating AFM 5.3 made it 165k with not a single engine related problem.

The lifter supplier issue is over.

I’m a firm believer in you get out what you put in. Impeccable routine maintenance.

Service ahead of schedule, use quality oil. Coolant flushes, diff fluid changes, transmission fluid.

This truck had its oil swapped at 1k with M1EP and will receive the same every 5k as long as it’s mine. (No oil plug, use what you like)

That’s the secret. Cheap insurance.

My 21 TB 6.2L I traded in for my ZR2 had lifter failure at 10-11k miles

well since i've got about 5K miles and I'm currently 500 miles from home, I think I'll follow this thread... :unsure:

The 2021 6.2L I traded in had 45k with no issues. Currently have 5k on the ZR2 with no issues. Good times.

No idea. I wouldn't want it disabled. The 6.2 already sucks with fuel mileage. At least DFM helps. It's a misconception that disabling it will prolong the lifters.
With an aftermarket exhaust the sound isn't great when DFM is active. I would like to see real world MPG difference with/without it

Had this feature on all my trucks with 5.3 since 2010 and had zero issues.

I'll say, I am new to GM, but from what I have seen, this lifter "issue" is way blown out of proportion across the interwebs. Even then, it seems the 5.3s have more issues than the 6.2s. I'm sure there will be issues eventually, just not as many as some people make it out to be.

The engineers I know at GM made mention the lifters issue was a bad batch of parts, not the overall design. Those parts haven't been used in a long while and it's pretty quiet in the 2022 models. It is overblown, for sure.
You guys should join Ram and F150 forums. Those guys gripe just as much about their trucks. Especially Raptor Gen2 owners.

The engineers I know at GM made mention the lifters issue was a bad batch of parts, not the overall design. Those parts haven't been used in a long while and it's pretty quiet in the 2022 models. It is overblown, for sure.
You guys should join Ram and F150 forums. Those guys gripe just as much about their trucks. Especially Raptor Gen2 owners.
Truth! Coming from a 1x Ram and 2x Gen 2 Raptor owner..

exactly! search for cam phasers on any F150 forum and see what happens! 🤬
🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬

Engine just blew in my 2022 ZR2. I bought the truck 2 weeks ago tomorrow, Tuesday I was driving 60 ish mph and my truck shut off, I pulled over and was unable to get it started again. Truck would just click, towed to the dealership and 2 days later I was told it was my starter… replaced it and I drove to the dealership to pick my truck up, I live about an hour away and on my way home I started hearing a clicking sound, I pulled over and called the dealership. I was told to finish the drive home because it was only a mile and they would send a tow truck in the morning, got a call today and was told my engine had blown due to lifter problems

I'll say, I am new to GM, but from what I have seen, this lifter "issue" is way blown out of proportion across the interwebs. Even then, it seems the 5.3s have more issues than the 6.2s. I'm sure there will be issues eventually, just not as many as some people make it out to be.
I would assume the 5.3s seem to have more issues because the amount of 5.3s out there I’m sure is much more than the 6.2s

Most Member Reactions

Back