New features for 2023

Dealer took care of mine today. Service writer came in to tell me that it wasn't a Tahoe! I wish it extended to the center display, but have to admit that I like opening the door to the ZR2 logo, as well as seeing the correct truck on my display while driving. Holding out hope that an over the air updates the center stack in the future.

There’s a lot of context I failed to mention in my original post, because honestly I didn’t think it mattered. Apparently several people care and want to make sure dealerships get every penny laying on the ground, so I’ll elaborate.
The truck was taken in for the DRL recall and an oil change. They had no clue the update for the gauge cluster even existed. I walked them onto it with the labor code provided in the forum by a generous member. They stated they would update the gauge cluster while they were at it. No mention of a charge at this time. I left and awaited the call to come get my truck. I never received a call informing me that the update would cost me or even a call that my truck was ready for pickup. When I called them, they said it had been ready for some time by that point. I showed up to get the truck and this is when they decide to tell me “oh by the way, that’ll be 152 for the animation update because warranty doesn’t cover that”. I explained how this could have been prevented and told them they can pay their employees a second time to uninstall because at that price point, I don’t want it. Then they decided that they will try to recoup from GM. For those that do care so much, I truly hope this explanation will suffice.
So how exactly did they find the update by using the labor code did they have to plug it in somewhere in order to see it was available?

There’s a lot of context I failed to mention in my original post, because honestly I didn’t think it mattered. Apparently several people care and want to make sure dealerships get every penny laying on the ground, so I’ll elaborate.
The truck was taken in for the DRL recall and an oil change. They had no clue the update for the gauge cluster even existed. I walked them onto it with the labor code provided in the forum by a generous member. They stated they would update the gauge cluster while they were at it. No mention of a charge at this time. I left and awaited the call to come get my truck. I never received a call informing me that the update would cost me or even a call that my truck was ready for pickup. When I called them, they said it had been ready for some time by that point. I showed up to get the truck and this is when they decide to tell me “oh by the way, that’ll be 152 for the animation update because warranty doesn’t cover that”. I explained how this could have been prevented and told them they can pay their employees a second time to uninstall because at that price point, I don’t want it. Then they decided that they will try to recoup from GM. For those that do care so much, I truly hope this explanation will suffice.
I got my DRL recall fixed picking up the truck now and the guy said he couldn’t find any update regarding a cluster update using that labor code. I believe they didn’t even really try they are full of crap. At this point I would even pay for the update $150 but they say my truck is already up to date. But have a freaking LTZ IN MY DASH NOT A ZR2

Dealer took care of mine today. Service writer came in to tell me that it wasn't a Tahoe! I wish it extended to the center display, but have to admit that I like opening the door to the ZR2 logo, as well as seeing the correct truck on my display while driving. Holding out hope that an over the air updates the center stack in the future.
Supposedly my dealer says my truck is already up to date but I still have the old animation with the LTZ truck on cluster. He said that labor code is nothing. Why am I having such a hard time with Chevy dealerships not wanting to update my truck!?

I am not certain if this contains any additional information that would help the dealership identify the update, but am including the portion of the invoice related to the issue from my visit Friday.

1676212870460.png

My dealer did this while my truck was in for some recalls. I mentioned it to them along with the labor code from this thread, and the tech was able to track it down. The service manager said something similar to what others have posted saying something like "the tech said it was a little tough to find the right file but they got it done".

Supposedly my dealer says my truck is already up to date but I still have the old animation with the LTZ truck on cluster. He said that labor code is nothing. Why am I having such a hard time with Chevy dealerships not wanting to update my truck!?
Have you tried other dealerships in the area? Also are you close to anyone who has had it done you can go to their dealership. I am in California.

Have you tried other dealerships in the area? Also are you close to anyone who has had it done you can go to their dealership. I am in California.
Yea I haven’t met anyone close that got it done. And all the dealerships over here think I’m making it up and it doesn’t exist.

I am not certain if this contains any additional information that would help the dealership identify the update, but am including the portion of the invoice related to the issue from my visit Friday.

View attachment 1799
I’ll see if that works whenever I do take it back to the dealership. One of the managers at Chevy told me if they plug it in and it doesn’t have an update available there’s nothing they can do. But it frustrates me because people are actually getting it done.

How much was it? I’m gonna do mine as well soon.
I believe it was around $145ish but you also have to ship them to him so you need to factor that extra cost. The $145 does include the shipping back.

Just got my truck back… Recall performed and added the update… Thanks again to whoever posted the original labor code. First install failed. Worked on the second try. My experience is exactly as others have stated …the center display remains the same with the instrument cluster supporting the new ZR2 graphics.
For what it’s worth, my tech made the statement that he would not be surprised at all if another update is released to put it in line with the existing start up animation currently in the other models.

Last edited:
Just got my truck back… Recall performed and added the update… Thanks again to whoever posted the original labor code. First install failed. Worked on the second try. My experience is exactly as others have stated …the center display remains the same with the instrument cluster supporting the new ZR2 graphics.
For what it’s worth, my tech made the statement that he would not be surprised at all if another update is released to put it in line with the existing start up animation currently in the other models.
I have an appointment coming up
I have the labor code also but the last time I’ve taken it to the dealership I’m not sure if they were being lazy but they said they plugged it up and it said it was already up to date. But obviously it needs the graphic cluster update. So what do I tell them to get mine done ?

I have an appointment coming up
I have the labor code also but the last time I’ve taken it to the dealership I’m not sure if they were being lazy but they said they plugged it up and it said it was already up to date. But obviously it needs the graphic cluster update. So what do I tell them to get mine done ?
Tell them if they don't do it you're gonna cry.....

Post #125 above has some info from an invoice that might help. I’ve also heard if you tell the dealer the vehicle in the cluster doesn’t match the vehicle you own helps too. The truck in the unupdated display is an LTZ not a ZR2.

That’s what I did… I stated the vehicle in the display was not correct for the model. After install, he agreed and said he was surprised the truck was shipped with the base model set in the cluster instead . …first ZR2 they have had in the shop as well.
I recently saw the start up in a high country… Really nice. That’s how this truck should’ve been. Big oversight in my view

Most Member Reactions

Back