Paint chip and other refreshed issues!

Diesel328

Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok, I guess I'm getting a little sick of this whole paint chip and issues with the refreshed trucks. What do think? A totally new dash, infotainment system and new hood design aren't going to have any issues! Come on....we all know that anytime you buy a new generation or refreshed vehicle, you are going to have bugs that need to get worked out. What, have you never heard to wait a few years before you by a vehicle in that category. To me it was worth the risk to have the very first ever ZR2 silverado. I knew going I to this there may be some glitches in the new infotainment system and dash, along with possible issues with the hood. Big deal! What I also knew is that the "bones" of the truck are a carryover. The powertrain is rock solid along with the suspension. I mean, look at all the rear windows that leaked when the T1 trucks first came out. I haven't heard of any issues with the refreshed trucks. GM most likely resolved the issue. I have not experienced any infotainment issues. I do however have paint chipping on the hood. Yes it bothers me, but it's a very minor issue and I'm happy to know GM is aware it's a problem and they are taking steps to correct it. I am just fine waiting for the fix, and its nice to know any stone chips that I get in the hood along the way will all be fixed!
If you think it's only GM that has issues with there new products...think again! If you want the latest and greatest truck on the market, its a chance you take. For me it was well worth it! I absolutely love this truck and would do it all over again. I constantly get compliments on it and rarely, and I mean rarely see another one. Sorry for the rant 😁

agree however the paint quality is absolute shit. my hood is chipping and if you even look at the rock guard it chips. along with halos and other imperfections that i won't even mention

I would tend to agree with you...if the paint was a unique first gen zr2 feature and not an issue on other GM vehicles. Ultimately, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and glad you are happy with the truck, I really want one but am waiting until they get the hood insert/paint thing right before I drop 70k+. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and where they spend their coin....debating on the interwebs does seem to be fun for some folks too though 🤷

Last edited:
What they consider “rock guard” is non sense. It’s a textured coating UNDER the base and clear. Rocks will still blow the paint off.

PPF is the only real “rock guard” but that goes to shit after some years in the sun so it’s best replaced every 3 years or so.

Everyone on this forum for the first 2 years of a “new” truck are beta testers. You knew what you signed up for when you paid for it.

Count your blessings that the driveline is a direct carry over. I’ve had zero problems with my truck minus the plastic insert rubbing the paint off on the 4 corners. If that’s all I have to deal with, I’m very pleased with my dice roll.

The paint on my truck does have Nibs in places, and the orange peel is pretty bad.

But orange peel is a double edged sword. The “texture” hides minor blemishes well. You polish it to a mirrior, and the swirl marks will drive you nuts.

I think expectations have gotten a little out of control for a massed produced vehicle. This isn’t a hand built exotic. It’s made on the same line the county worker white work trucks are.

It’s a very high quality vehicle overall. Like usual, the internet has blown everything out of proportion.

I’m just looking at it from the perceptive that I’ve got a warranty and they can fix whatever comes up so I’m not going to worry about it. I’ve been through the beta testing with my C5 back in the day and there’s no way this truck can be the problem child that car was. lol

Am I wrong to be more upset by the cut rate audio system than I am the paint? I’m genuinely ticked off that I’m going to spend more money to install what should have been there to start with.

What is cut rate on the audio system? I only have about 150 miles so far but it sounds good to me. Sirius sounds cheap in any vehicle I have driven so I don't judge based on Sirius alone. I played some FLAC files and it sounded good to me.

I have a couple chips in the paint already. No chips on the hood but a couple chips in front of the rear flares. I'm wondering if the tires kick up rocks. There are similar complaints on Bronco forums and these tires look similar to the Bronco w/ Sasquatch package tires.

It needs some bass. It’s sounding good enough but it can and should be better for the price point and honestly, it’s a quick fix and a complaint that is subjective to the listener. In the end, I guess that I came in expecting more considering how much they’ve improved everything else.

What is cut rate on the audio system? I only have about 150 miles so far but it sounds good to me. Sirius sounds cheap in any vehicle I have driven so I don't judge based on Sirius alone. I played some FLAC files and it sounded good to me.

I have a couple chips in the paint already. No chips on the hood but a couple chips in front of the rear flares. I'm wondering if the tires kick up rocks. There are similar complaints on Bronco forums and these tires look similar to the Bronco w/ Sasquatch package tires.
I would recommend PPF in front of the flares on the bed. That will solve your problem.

It needs some bass. It’s sounding good enough but it can and should be better for the price point and honestly, it’s a quick fix and a complaint that is subjective to the listener. In the end, I guess that I came in expecting more considering how much they’ve improved everything else.
That’s part of the premium of the AT4X. Not regarding bass but higher speaker count. I did chuckle to myself when the sun shined on the massive speaker grill in the door and there’s only a tiny 6.5 at the bottom.

I do strongly recommend the kicker add on. It fills the hole in the frequency range on the bottom end without overpowering the system.

I would recommend PPF in front of the flares on the bed. That will solve your problem.

I'm going to get an appointment setup for PPF soon. Any other areas I should do?

Today was the first day I drove for a few hours. I did notice the sun reflecting on the black hood scoop a couple times. Need to do something about that.

Ok, I guess I'm getting a little sick of this whole paint chip and issues with the refreshed trucks. What do think? A totally new dash, infotainment system and new hood design aren't going to have any issues! Come on....we all know that anytime you buy a new generation or refreshed vehicle, you are going to have bugs that need to get worked out. What, have you never heard to wait a few years before you by a vehicle in that category. To me it was worth the risk to have the very first ever ZR2 silverado. I knew going I to this there may be some glitches in the new infotainment system and dash, along with possible issues with the hood. Big deal! What I also knew is that the "bones" of the truck are a carryover. The powertrain is rock solid along with the suspension. I mean, look at all the rear windows that leaked when the T1 trucks first came out. I haven't heard of any issues with the refreshed trucks. GM most likely resolved the issue. I have not experienced any infotainment issues. I do however have paint chipping on the hood. Yes it bothers me, but it's a very minor issue and I'm happy to know GM is aware it's a problem and they are taking steps to correct it. I am just fine waiting for the fix, and its nice to know any stone chips that I get in the hood along the way will all be fixed!
If you think it's only GM that has issues with there new products...think again! If you want the latest and greatest truck on the market, its a chance you take. For me it was well worth it! I absolutely love this truck and would do it all over again. I constantly get compliments on it and rarely, and I mean rarely see another one. Sorry for the rant 😁
I picked up mines on the 16th of September and I absolutely love it!

Most Member Reactions

Back