Rough shifting

G

Guest552

Hello All, I just picked up a new glacier blue ZR2 on Wednesday. While driving I notice that there is a weird lag between 1st and 2nd gear when leaving a stop sign or light. It's a really weird sensation, like it's pausing between gears. Does anyone have a similar issue, is this normal for the 10 speed tranny? Thanks in advance!

Hello All, I just picked up a new glacier blue ZR2 on Wednesday. While driving I notice that there is a weird lag between 1st and 2nd gear when leaving a stop sign or light. It's a really weird sensation, like it's pausing between gears. Does anyone have a similar issue, is this normal for the 10 speed tranny? Thanks in advance!
There is a tranny break in / learning period. You will notice some “weird” behavior as it’s learning and finding normals. Can’t say if that’s what you are experiencing or not but something to be aware of as you log the first 500-1000 miles, at least that was my experience.

Last edited:
The initial drive home from the dealer and for about 1,000 miles originally, I experienced similar behavior. The delay would actually cause your body weight to shift forward and then back into the seat during the shift.

Also anytime you disconnect the battery, the vehicle will go into a “mini” relearn. Including the transmission.

After I installed my CAI, the truck wasn’t happy. Until once again, serveral hundred miles later it sorted itself out.

The initial drive home from the dealer and for about 1,000 miles originally, I experienced similar behavior. The delay would actually cause your body weight to shift forward and then back into the seat during the shift.

Also anytime you disconnect the battery, the vehicle will go into a “mini” relearn. Including the transmission.

After I installed my CAI, the truck wasn’t happy. Until once again, serveral hundred miles later it sorted itself out.
Thanks! That makes me feel a little better. I hope it smooths out.

I had the same experience as others. When it was brand new and was learning. I had a noticeable delay/slow shift starting off from a stop. It went away once the computer learned what it needed to do. Just ignore it, drive the truck normally and let it figure out the shift points.

Are you babying it? Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but mine went away after I got past break in period and actually started getting on it some. I stayed out of the pedal until I hit around 500miles. I don't know if it was miles driven or the fact that I started giving it the beans some lol. Either way the issue went away around the same time.

I had the same experience as others. When it was brand new and was learning. I had a noticeable delay/slow shift starting off from a stop. It went away once the computer learned what it needed to do. Just ignore it, drive the truck normally and let it figure out the shift points.

Are you babying it? Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but mine went away after I got past break in period and actually started getting on it some. I stayed out of the pedal until I hit around 500miles. I don't know if it was miles driven or the fact that I started giving it the beans some lol. Either way the issue went away around the same time.
Thanks! I have been babying it big time. lol. I’m not sure why, I guess old habits die hard. It probably doesn’t even matter with a modern engine.

Babying it can sometimes confuse the computer. You could always disconnect the negative battery cable for 10-20 minutes and let it start over.

Thanks! I have been babying it big time. lol. I’m not sure why, I guess old habits die hard. It probably doesn’t even matter with a modern engine.
Nahh modern or not you got all kinds of parts meshing together for the first time, engine, transmission, differentials, ect. I get modern tolerances and materials are better. Personally I always take it easy the first 500 or so and let that stuff wear in easy. I didn't tow till I got over 1k.

Me and a buddy both got LML duramaxs. I took it easy and did my normal break in. He broke it in like he planned on driving it. Hooked up to his trailer with only 200 miles on his truck. His magnet on his transmission filter looked like a etch a sketch when he changed it, lol. Mine was clean. He cracked several pistons around 160k. I sold mine to another friend who drives it daily. 190k and never had a problem yet. Not scientific evidence or anything. But I'm pretty convinced break in does matter.

It’s important to vary your driving styles during the learn process. Giving the computer different TPS information helps the shift maps be built effectively.

Mine shutters in between shifts really bad. I have it at the dealer now, hopefully this issue will be addressed. I had a 21 Trail Boss with 6.2, put 19,000 miles on it, and never any issues. My new ZR2 only has 600 miles on it.

Mine shutters in between shifts really bad. I have it at the dealer now, hopefully this issue will be addressed. I had a 21 Trail Boss with 6.2, put 19,000 miles on it, and never any issues. My new ZR2 only has 600 miles on it.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back