2022 ZR2 Silverado transmission issues, 6k mileage

Wutang, just curious when your build was. My truck was built in June 22, arrived at dealer in August 22 and sat in their back lot for 6 months until I bought it in February 23. I believe they updated the software just before I bought it.

I only have about 3k on mine. My infotainment cuts out and sometimes the nav seems to have a shitty connection with phone. Otherwise not much of a problems.

I'm more pissed about the soft clear coat and paint then anything.
Ceramic Coating is your friend! This new water based paint sucks on all new vehicles, except my Wifes BMW X3, but I still had that ceramic coated and xpel as well.

Ceramic Coating is your friend! This new water based paint sucks on all new vehicles, except my Wifes BMW X3, but I still had that ceramic coated and xpel as well.
Water base is ONLY the base coat (the actual color and or Pearls if it’s a three stage) clear coat is ALWAYS urethane (solvent) base.

Bases and tints vary. When they cost more (like Blue Me Away by PPG) the “real” name of “Glacier Blue” they charge more.

“Water base is bad” isn’t accurate. It dries faster and allows easier application. Clear coat is everything. “Good” activated clear is 550 a gallon.

You can see where cost cutting is effective in both quality and thickness of its application.

A simple bumper “repaint” is 1000+ by any Body Shop that warranties the refinish for life. Good clear is BIG money. This obviously a “market” price. If you have connections the cost falls but the actual material cost remains.

Last edited:
Wutang, just curious when your build was. My truck was built in June 22, arrived at dealer in August 22 and sat in their back lot for 6 months until I bought it in February 23. I believe they updated the software just before I bought it.

I only have about 3k on mine. My infotainment cuts out and sometimes the nav seems to have a shitty connection with phone. Otherwise not much of a problems.

I'm more pissed about the soft clear coat and paint then anything.
I picked it up in June 2022 and if I recall build was April / may 2022. In Compton Ca.

Reactions: AXE
Water base is ONLY the base coat (the actual color and or Pearls if it’s a three stage) clear coat is ALWAYS urethane (solvent) base.

Bases and tints vary. When they cost more (like Blue Me Away by PPG) the “real” name of “Glacier Blue” they charge more.

“Water base is bad” isn’t accurate. It dries faster and allows easier application. Clear coat is everything. “Good” activated clear is 550 a gallon.

You can see where cost cutting is effective in both quality and thickness of its application.

A simple bumper “repaint” is 1000+ by any Body Shop that warranties the refinish for life. Good clear is BIG money. This obviously a “market” price. If you have connections the cost falls but the actual material cost remains.
This is what I think the problem is with mine. Weak clear coat that is so thin and soft, when something hits it, the paint underneath flakes. Never seen anything this bad. I've got 3K on truck and it looks like 30k.

purchased new, two major issues this far, the 1st one (electrical ) they fixed, this trany issue started a couples months back.
10 speed transmission, so mostly at speeds 40mph, it’s almost like its toggling between gears, you can feel the hits while it does it more than hear it, what gear it’s in (7,8,9,10) it does not matter.
Then it stops, then it’s back, full auto or Manual shift does not make any difference. It does not toggle on deceleration Just at normal driving or acceleration. Dealers aware and it’ll be be looked at.
I think if I have one more major issue, it’s gone, screw the unreliability.
My tailgate got stuck closed yesterday. I'm with you, one more issue and I'm done.

Idk if it’s the same issue or if yours was actually in the tranny but I’ve noticed a shudder at 33 mph when lightly accelerating past a school zone on Tuesdays usually only on the way to work. But I did see a bulletin came out for the cam magnet causing a similar issue, haven’t had a chance to graph mine to see if it’s my issue but it could be yours.

Most Member Reactions

Back