Shock skids installed

JacoZR2

Reaction score
This morning I was able to finally get at the 589 shock skids I’ve had for over a week. Process was pretty simple, but couple items will save you some time, so hope this helps. Reached out to 589 and they didn’t have install instructions or photos, so here goes:
1. You’ll need a 1/2 inch socket for the smaller alignment tab
2. 13/16 inch socket and wrench for shock bolts
3. Loosen shock bolts and slide out. A little pressure upward on shock makes them slide out easily.
4. (Do this before trying to get shock bolt in and save frustration) Slide tab support down into shock mount almost to where welded thread hits bottom of the slot. Then slip smaller bolt through shock skid and thread to tab. This keeps skid supported for next step.
5. Pull back slightly on shock to compress and line up shock bolt from inside out letting shock down to slide bolt through fully and through the other side.
6. Thread shock nut on and tighten by hand
7. Slightly tighten alignment tab bolt to seat snug but not tight with socket
8. Use socket and wrench to fully tighten to torque spec (85 ft-lb according to GM)
9. Tighten support tab bolt
10. Repeat on the other side and reverse shock skid to match mounting bracket.
11. Open beer, enjoy, go play in rocks!

Attachments

• IMG_7178.jpeg
    IMG_7178.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_7183.jpeg
    IMG_7183.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_7184.jpeg
    IMG_7184.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 105
This morning I was able to finally get at the 589 shock skids I’ve had for over a week. Process was pretty simple, but couple items will save you some time, so hope this helps. Reached out to 589 and they didn’t have install instructions or photos, so here goes:
3. Loosen shock bolts and slide out. A little pressure upward on shock makes them slide out easily.
4. (Do this before trying to get shock bolt in and save frustration) Slide tab support down into shock mount almost to where welded thread hits bottom of the slot. Then slip smaller bolt through shock skid and thread to tab. This keeps skid supported for next step.
5. Pull back slightly on shock to compress and line up shock bolt from inside out letting shock down to slide bolt through fully and through the other side.
8. Use socket and wrench to fully tighten to torque spec (85 ft-lb according to GM)
so that just protects bottom of shock when 4wheelin?? doesnt lift..

Pretty common, especially on my wife’s Bronco(check out the forums), to take a beating on the shock/ mounts so this give you extra shielding. Really inexpensive protection for life’s “doh” moment. I’ve spend more on changes in badges than this, so well worth it.

So what was the part number?

Here's the link to the parts kit:

Reactions: AXE
Here's the link to the parts kit:
Thank you.

It didn't list the ZR2, but seen in the website review that someone had used them for the ZR2 so placed the order and it shipped yesterday.

Most Member Reactions

Back