Terrible fuel mileage

Curious if this is normal for a ZR2 with the duramx. My fuel mileage is absolutely awful. Just clicked 1,000 miles and Im averaging 12.7 MPG. I have not towed anything yet, this is just normal city and highway driving. On the highway with cruise control set the best I have seen for instant MPG is 14. Ive had a few other diesel trucks and have never seen anything this bad. If this is normal I might as well have saved the money and got the gas engine.
I have owned 3 of the 3.0 Duramax trucks and my average was 24.5 across all of them. My normal driving is about 65% highway and 35% city. At 60mph with cruise and little to no wind, 28 mpg would be standard. Something doesn't seem right if that is what you are getting

Oops, didn't see you are talking about the HD version

I have owned 3 of the 3.0 Duramax trucks and my average was 24.5 across all of them. My normal driving is about 65% highway and 35% city. At 60mph with cruise and little to no wind, 28 mpg would be standard. Something doesn't seem right if that is what you are getting
Its a 6.6 hd duramax.

Curious if this is normal for a ZR2 with the duramx. My fuel mileage is absolutely awful. Just clicked 1,000 miles and Im averaging 12.7 MPG. I have not towed anything yet, this is just normal city and highway driving. On the highway with cruise control set the best I have seen for instant MPG is 14. Ive had a few other diesel trucks and have never seen anything this bad. If this is normal I might as well have saved the money and got the gas engine.
Mine was the same way and it’s creeping up. Haven’t reset the odometer since I bought it. Started under 10 mpg. At 3k miles now and it’s at 14 mpg. 65% city, 35% highway. All of my trucks started out low and after the break in period they started to get better mileage. This one seems to be no different. Curious to see what you are getting in a few more thousand miles.

This is one of the trip settings I just leave and that is why it shows 9999.9 miles, but this is a composite average from driving around the ranch in NM in 4 wheel low and highway at 85. Also, quite a bit of idling with the AC on.

Attachments

• 20240518_112459[1].jpg
    20240518_112459[1].jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 27
Just did my first fillup… 15.2mpg (418.6 miles and 27.49 gals). That was probably about 50/50 hwy/city. Highway was 65-75mph. I was taking it fairly easy on it (my plan for first 1k miles, then will push it harder), but not totally babying it.

This is one of the trip settings I just leave and that is why it shows 9999.9 miles, but this is a composite average from driving around the ranch in NM in 4 wheel low and highway at 85. Also, quite a bit of idling with the AC on.
Every lifted Duramax ever!

Poor economy with the Duralax is nothing new that's one reason they are a distant 3rd in sales nationally. but the Cummins and Powerjoke are only a couple MPG better.

Poor economy with the Duralax is nothing new that's one reason they are a distant 3rd in sales nationally. but the Cummins and Powerjoke are only a couple MPG better.
My 2024 ZR2 gets better mileage than my 2022 F250 Tremor by about 10% or so. Will see if it continues to get better with time.

Kind of depends if you get the “high output” Cummins or Powerstrokes - last time I shopped around, it was a bit misleading (or at least confusing) when you go to look at cross the line comparisons given the power differences. Last Cummins I drove and last I looked, the high output for Cummins wasn’t even available in a 2500 (that certainly could have changed since I shopped around). And if memory serves it was even a different transmission. I don’t recall on the Ford but seems like those variables would matter when talking apples to apples.

The Temor has stupid low gear ratios, so it's not a fair comparison. my '22 powerjoke with 3.31 gears get's 18-19 most of the time running empty and towing varies with the load of course.

The Temor has stupid low gear ratios, so it's not a fair comparison. my '22 powerjoke with 3.31 gears get's 18-19 most of the time running empty and towing varies with the load of course.
????????? Not mine. Need to look that one up. 3:55

All I've seen in them are 4.10's. 3.55's are better but my '22 with 3.31's get's about 2 mpg better than my '16 with 3.55's. some of that could be the 10 speed though.

That seems low. Went out for a ride yesterday and consistently got around 18 highway driving in the mid 70's. dropped to around 17 on the town roads.

Attachments

• tempImageUjcum8.png
    tempImageUjcum8.png
    134.1 KB · Views: 19
I think I’m doing ok with my babymax, right now getting about 22mpg. pretty sure its because i drive like an old man… which i am lol

That seems low. Went out for a ride yesterday and consistently got around 18 highway driving in the mid 70's. dropped to around 17 on the town roads.
Curios what your tank average going to be because comp saying 13.5 to 14 with 34 or 35 gallons of fuel in tank. 😀 You have probably the highest milage seen on a 2500 hd during break in. 😀

Curios what your tank average going to be because comp saying 13.5 to 14 with 34 or 35 gallons of fuel in tank. 😀 You have probably the highest milage seen on a 2500 hd during break in. 😀
I'll take it! actually was way lower but I'd been idling a lot. I had heard that Duramax logs your idle mpg but not the gasser. Maybe bs?....

One thing idling wil do is drink the ever living crap out of DEF. At least thats been my experiences…
I noticed that during break in and during cold weather when I got the truck and let idle 5 or so minutes with remote start. Now 1500 miles and 1 min warm ups in 70 and 80s its seems Def is already 2 to 1 better already.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back