Tonneau Covers revisited

I'll measure tomorrow. I doubt a deck system will work. In addition to the cover itself, there are ramps on either side between the wheel well and the cab.
View attachment 5136

View attachment 5137
I cannot imagine that a deck system can be used with this cover. I would be very surprised to learn that it could. I have had Retrax covers on most all of my trucks. I had a BAK X4S on my last mid-size truck and loved it, so I bought the X4S for my ZR2 and I am very pleased with the quality, 5-year warranty, and ease of use.

I have a Retrax on mine and am happy with it. It’s very smooth and really easy to use, locks securely, and after some adjustment resists water. But the box that it rolls up into takes up almost a foot of bed space at the top to the box. You can still slide things under so it’s not terrible and hasn’t caused me any trouble yet but is something to consider if you might need the full bed space often.
What were the adjustments to make it resist water? I’m about done with mine. Had a leaking canister, replaced it, had a side rail that needed to be replace because weather stripping kept sliding out, still leaks when it rains. I have positive slope and even caulked the corners where the sides meet the front but still leaks. For the amount of $$, they shouldn’t be inferior to the 300 vinyl roll up, but this one is

I have a Roll-N-Lock bed cover on mine. It's the 4th truck I've put one on and have been very happy with them. The only water intrusion I seem to be getting in mine is from the is through the bed stake holes on the back. Have been meaning to order the hole covers for them.

I cannot imagine that a deck system can be used with this cover. I would be very surprised to learn that it could. I have had Retrax covers on most all of my trucks. I had a BAK X4S on my last mid-size truck and loved it, so I bought the X4S for my ZR2 and I am very pleased with the quality, 5-year warranty, and ease of use.
The X4S is similar to the Truxedo Sentry CT I had on my last truck. I am leaning toward going back to the CT or moving to the X4S. I still haven't decided, but I like the hybrid nature of these covers (hard, rolling).

As for the decked system, I looked up the measurements a few days ago. After installing the decked system, it only leaves a few inches at the front of the truck. The total length of the Decked system is 64.54". The total length of the short bed is 69.92. That leaves right around 5" remaining at the front of the truck. I don't have the exact measurements for the Retrax system, but I think that it is more than 5".

How much depth when folded does it take? I have a decked drawer system and want to know if the Paragon will work with it.
Measuring from the bed to the bottom of the ramps (that are between the wheel well and cab on both sides), there is just a hair over 9 1/4" of space. This is slightly lower than the retracted cover itself.

The X4S is similar to the Truxedo Sentry CT I had on my last truck. I am leaning toward going back to the CT or moving to the X4S. I still haven't decided, but I like the hybrid nature of these covers (hard, rolling).

As for the decked system, I looked up the measurements a few days ago. After installing the decked system, it only leaves a few inches at the front of the truck. The total length of the Decked system is 64.54". The total length of the short bed is 69.92. That leaves right around 5" remaining at the front of the truck. I don't have the exact measurements for the Retrax system, but I think that it is more than 5".
I believe the Retrax is around 8-9"

Sold my Silverado HD and picked up this awesome ZR2. I am now overthinking what tonneau cover I want for the new truck. I had a Truxedo Sentry CT on my HD. Best tonneau cover I’ve used to date. It is best described as a rolling hardcover.

View attachment 5062
I am now trying to decide if I am going to repeat this purchase. I am also considering the Retrax or Roll-n-Lock with the intention of grabbing a rack system. I have no experience with the retractable systems or racks. Looking for some real world opinions!
I had a Retrax Pro on a 2011 Raptor and thought it was a really great cover. Only issue is the “lock in any position” pin would start sliding open once you took it off-road, and the pop-up handle/lever would be in the way with crossbars I had so I put my own pull strap on.

With my 2022 ZR2 I went with a Pace Edwards with T-slot rails. I like the locking mechanism better, it feels more solid than the Retrax pin, but I wish I went with the full metal one instead of the regular aluminum one.

I am about to put the rhino vortex rack on the t-slots.

Attachments

• IMG_1559.jpeg
    IMG_1559.jpeg
    514.5 KB · Views: 47
I had a Retrax Pro on a 2011 Raptor and thought it was a really great cover. Only issue is the “lock in any position” pin would start sliding open once you took it off-road, and the pop-up handle/lever would be in the way with crossbars I had so I put my own pull strap on.

With my 2022 ZR2 I went with a Pace Edwards with T-slot rails. I like the locking mechanism better, it feels more solid than the Retrax pin, but I wish I went with the full metal one instead of the regular aluminum one.

I am about to put the rhino vortex rack on the t-slots.
You're the first I've found who went with the Pace Edwards Ultra Groove. Like it? How does it do with the multi-function tailgate? I'm torn between the Ultra Groove, and the Truck Covers USA with the HD Yakima rails.
I plan to run racks but not a crazy overland setup. Rods/baskets and an occasional kayak. Have you put a rack on yours? I worry if added weight on a rack will cause the tracks to deflect inward and pull the weather seals off the bedrail...

You're the first I've found who went with the Pace Edwards Ultra Groove. Like it? How does it do with the multi-function tailgate? I'm torn between the Ultra Groove, and the Truck Covers USA with the HD Yakima rails.
I plan to run racks but not a crazy overland setup. Rods/baskets and an occasional kayak. Have you put a rack on yours? I worry if added weight on a rack will cause the tracks to deflect inward and pull the weather seals off the bedrail...
Sounds like we are doing the same. I am going to put “normal” roof rack cross bars, the rhino vortex, across the bed width a Yakima skinny warrior on one side and keep the other side open for bikes, skis, or a box depending on what I’m doing. Similar to what I did on my raptor. I’ll need to follow up as I am waiting on the smaller t-slot brackets as the pace Edward is smaller (I think they say Tule sized, but I’ll need to double check) compared to the others. So I’ll let you know how it goes. The rails seem to be over the bed edge enough to what I am hoping should support about ~200 lbs. I would not use it for a tent or anything more substantial.

I like it. The smaller part of of multi flex requires a bit more effort to close against the seal but it does not bother me, and the main tailgate operates normally, auto drops without issue. Some rain does come in the back if you park it all day in the rain and you need to drill out the bed drains in the front to fit the roller box drain tubes. The installation clamping mechanism for the cover to the side of the bed is a little more elaborate than I think it needs to be (watch the e-trailer install video) but now that it is on it seems secured. The locking/unlock and pull rope are smooth, feel secure, and I like it. If I could go back in time I would spend the money and get the full metal version instead of the aluminum and vinyl version. You can get some rattle on Highway with the rear window open.

Attachments

• IMG_1638.jpeg
    IMG_1638.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1565.jpeg
    IMG_1565.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1563.jpeg
    IMG_1563.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 65
This is awesome detail, thanks for your reply!
Yep, that's my plan as well with the Yakima HDs... skinny warrior and bikes/rods. Nothing more that ~250lbs.
Great looking truck and setup! I'll take note, and go for the full metal slats.

If you are willing to pay the price, Truck Covers USA is a great company. I had their retractable on my old f150 for 7 years. A part broke in year 5 and they sent me a new part For free. no questions. I just couldn’t spend that much this time around. Ended up with the Undercover Armor flex hard tri-fold. Seems durable and water resistant.

What were the adjustments to make it resist water? I’m about done with mine. Had a leaking canister, replaced it, had a side rail that needed to be replace because weather stripping kept sliding out, still leaks when it rains. I have positive slope and even caulked the corners where the sides meet the front but still leaks. For the amount of $$, they shouldn’t be inferior to the 300 vinyl roll up, but this one is
Waterproofing is the one area that Retrax could definitely do better in. At best it’s water resistant but it’s definitely not waterproof. I ended up using a silicone grease on all the seals to get the water resistance to an acceptable level. I will probably need to regularly reapply to keep it up. The seals that it comes with are a little disappointing.

I almost went with a diamondback cover to get get something that would be waterproof and more heavy duty but for now I’m happy enough.

Waterproofing is the one area that Retrax could definitely do better in. At best it’s water resistant but it’s definitely not waterproof. I ended up using a silicone grease on all the seals to get the water resistance to an acceptable level. I will probably need to regularly reapply to keep it up. The seals that it comes with are a little disappointing.

I almost went with a diamondback cover to get get something that would be waterproof and more heavy duty but for now I’m happy enough.
Interesting...I have had 3 RETRAX covers and never a water intrusion issue. You sure it's not your install?

Retrax with the Yakima Overhaul HD & second rack just above tonneau is the way to go!
you can add a second rack approx 6" high, for recovery gear and etc above the Tonneau cover. I used a platform and racks from Rino Rack for anayting that does not fit under the tonneau cover.
and whatever yakima stuff to the Overhaul HD, add the side bars and some rotopax for fuel and etc.
the ZR2 short bed with this set up holds almost as much gear as my long bed with camper shell, with way more offroad capabilities.

I think i am over the offroad weight recommendations from Yakima but they have a factory of safety built in, i have not had any issues on the bumpy roads of baja with this set up.

After much back and forth about the direction I wanted to go, I decided to stay with the rolling hard cover. I decided to go with the BAK Revolver X4s Tonneau Cover. There were a few reasons, but mainly I liked the functionality based on my projected use. This cover leaves the truck stake pockets open in case I need to use some sort of rack in the future. My last rolling hard cover worked well for me, and I expect this one to work equally as well. Thanks for all of the feedback and comments! This thread will likely be useful for other folks deciding which tonneau cover works best for their needs.

After much back and forth about the direction I wanted to go, I decided to stay with the rolling hard cover. I decided to go with the BAK Revolver X4s Tonneau Cover. There were a few reasons, but mainly I liked the functionality based on my projected use. This cover leaves the truck stake pockets open in case I need to use some sort of rack in the future. My last rolling hard cover worked well for me, and I expect this one to work equally as well. Thanks for all of the feedback and comments! This thread will likely be useful for other folks deciding which tonneau cover works best for their needs.
Sounds good. Just a FYI, Most racks don't use the stake pockets. Some basic ladder racks might. But Racks like the Yakima, Rhino, ect, Use either a T slot track mounting system or a bed rail clamp. If you look up in the thread a little I posted a picture of my Duramax with a rack and Decked. It shows the type of clamps. They basically won't work with a bed cover, That's why some covers have the T slot tracks on them. It's so you can run both a cover and a rack. Just giving you a heads up. I went through all this last year because I don't normally run a bed cover. Did a lot of shopping on options to have both. If you want a rack at some point. I'd get a cover with T-slot tracks. If not you will probably have to buy a new cover when you buy a rack.

Sounds good. Just a FYI, Most racks don't use the stake pockets. Some basic ladder racks might. But Racks like the Yakima, Rhino, ect, Use either a T slot track mounting system or a bed rail clamp. If you look up in the thread a little I posted a picture of my Duramax with a rack and Decked. It shows the type of clamps. They basically won't work with a bed cover, That's why some covers have the T slot tracks on them. It's so you can run both a cover and a rack. Just giving you a heads up. I went through all this last year because I don't normally run a bed cover. Did a lot of shopping on options to have both. If you want a rack at some point. I'd get a cover with T-slot tracks. If not you will probably have to buy a new cover when you buy a rack.
Awesome - thanks for the head's up! I was just reading your airbag thread a few minutes ago - good stuff!

edit: I am most likely to use the stakes as a hand hold to climb in and out of the bed. My old ass isn't as nimble as it used to be. That also stopped me from ordering the stake pocket covers. :cool:

I think you're going to love it. If you have any install questions, feel free to call me.

Most Member Reactions

Back