Tonneau Covers revisited

Awesome - thanks for the head's up! I was just reading your airbag thread a few minutes ago - good stuff!

edit: I am most likely to use the stakes as a hand hold to climb in and out of the bed. My old ass isn't as nimble as it used to be. That also stopped me from ordering the stake pocket covers. :cool:
Ty, I've been really happy with the bags and the onboard air. Was a little bit of pain to figure out what would fit, But it's been great having it. I use the bags when I tow most anything. These shocks ride great, on the other hand they aren't awesome for towing. They really need a little help with most trailers.
That's also a plus with a rack. It gives you something to grab onto. I actually removed the little helper handle that came in the bed with the multiflex tailgate. With my rack it was pointless because I can grab anywhere on the rack. I ended up bolting a lock actuator there using the existing bolts. So my bed cover locks and unlocks with the rest of the truck.
20221007_123943.jpg

Sounds like we are doing the same. I am going to put “normal” roof rack cross bars, the rhino vortex, across the bed width a Yakima skinny warrior on one side and keep the other side open for bikes, skis, or a box depending on what I’m doing. Similar to what I did on my raptor. I’ll need to follow up as I am waiting on the smaller t-slot brackets as the pace Edward is smaller (I think they say Tule sized, but I’ll need to double check) compared to the others. So I’ll let you know how it goes. The rails seem to be over the bed edge enough to what I am hoping should support about ~200 lbs. I would not use it for a tent or anything more substantial.

I like it. The smaller part of of multi flex requires a bit more effort to close against the seal but it does not bother me, and the main tailgate operates normally, auto drops without issue. Some rain does come in the back if you park it all day in the rain and you need to drill out the bed drains in the front to fit the roller box drain tubes. The installation clamping mechanism for the cover to the side of the bed is a little more elaborate than I think it needs to be (watch the e-trailer install video) but now that it is on it seems secured. The locking/unlock and pull rope are smooth, feel secure, and I like it. If I could go back in time I would spend the money and get the full metal version instead of the aluminum and vinyl version. You can get some rattle on Highway with the rear window open.
Bars and basket on

Attachments

• IMG_1989.jpeg
    IMG_1989.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1992.jpeg
    IMG_1992.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 61
After much back and forth about the direction I wanted to go, I decided to stay with the rolling hard cover. I decided to go with the BAK Revolver X4s Tonneau Cover. There were a few reasons, but mainly I liked the functionality based on my projected use. This cover leaves the truck stake pockets open in case I need to use some sort of rack in the future. My last rolling hard cover worked well for me, and I expect this one to work equally as well. Thanks for all of the feedback and comments! This thread will likely be useful for other folks deciding which tonneau cover works best for their needs.
Another quick update - I installed the X4s today (along with an XLT Bedrug, which had the bonus of making the tonneau install more comfortable). Overall relatively easy to install. The only minor setback was that, due to the heat, the front bulkhead weatherstripping didn't want to stay attached - even after using an adhesive promotor. I really like the low profile. The Truxedo Sentry CT on my Duramax was low profile, but this is even more so.

Definitely Paragon. No loss in visibility, compatible with bed rail accessories, great customer service. Also, the retractable cover has a quick release and can be removed or reinstalled in '30 seconds'.
View attachment 5113View attachment 5114
Wow! I may miss that on my retractable T-cover.
I have Roll-n-Lock brand installed and is very similar with T-Slot rails. I was able to use RTT on top of it during our road trip without any issue.

But, not sure if it can be removed or reinstalled in 30 sec.

Wow! I may miss that on my retractable T-cover.
I have Roll-n-Lock brand installed and is very similar with T-Slot rails. I was able to use RTT on top of it during our road trip without any issue.

But, not sure if it can be removed or reinstalled in 30 sec.
The Paragon is not retractable. It's a sectional fold up cover. The Roll-N-Lock and Retrax are in a totally different league of covers.

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back