ZR2 Project

Blue Two

Reaction score
Going to start this thread for what we are doing to the '22 ZR2 with the L87 and 10spd Allison Transmission (obviously). The goal is to be a supercharged Raptor and TRX killer, attend 'Jeep Week' in Moab, UT next spring with the hopes of developing a thoughtful and cost effective plan for ZR2/AT4X owners who want the performance and capability without spending $100K+ on a cheap build via AEV package.

I just took delivery of the ZR2 roughly 10 days ago the mods added are as follows:

1. Window Tint ($175.00)
2. AWE Exhaust (bashguards) ($1,595.79)
3. aFe Stage 2 enclosed cold air intake ($324.62)
4. headers, injectors, and camshaft from Texas Speed, also playing with some developmental stuff from other companies, update coming. ($3,791.27)

Initial reactions so far is that the ZR2 is SIGNIFICANTLY quicker, much more flow and a god awful DFM system that really sucks, hopefully Range or Diablo will have a DFM delete for us soon because my goodness it is terrible to drive unless you're pounding it wide open.

I won't get too far in the weeds here but we've hit a snag as of today, 07/18 - torque converter code hit and we're spewing trans fluid with the ZR2.. Currently at 1501 miles.

I will try to give weekly updates, depending on supply chain and parts that come in, I will also update you on the costs incurred. Feel free to bombard me with questions or if you want SKU or part numbers on what we're adding.

Ideally I'd like to add videos instead of just photos here - I guess we might just have to start a YouTube page.

How are you modifying the fuel maps for the modifications? Didn’t think tuning was possible yet on global B. Are you running a stand-alone solution?

If the truck has been strapped to a Dyno, when did the trans give up? Unless this was purely tuned with a data log on the street.

Last edited:
How are you modifying the fuel maps for the modifications? Didn’t think tuning was possible yet on global B. Are you running a stand-alone solution?

If the truck has been strapped to a Dyno, when did the trans give up? Unless this was purely tuned with a data log on the street.
So we’re running into a few problems, going to roll them up into a post tomorrow. However, with the new L87 it has a different cam phaser so we can’t even use the 3 different shafts we ordered for testing. The trans issue was supposedly gaskets from factory not torqued to spec, we have the truck back without leaks so far but now some shuttering in steering column above 45mph.

There are zero tunes for fuel right now and very few developmental stand alone for the new fuel management system. So with what bolt ons we have added we’re barely pushing the block’s potential.

My opinion: these trucks are a waste of money, get a base model trail boss and buy a crate LT4 motor for the same cost at the end of the day. I’ll be more detailed tomorrow after my travels and talking to my techs.

So we’re running into a few problems, going to roll them up into a post tomorrow. However, with the new L87 it has a different cam phaser so we can’t even use the 3 different shafts we ordered for testing. The trans issue was supposedly gaskets from factory not torqued to spec, we have the truck back without leaks so far but now some shuttering in steering column above 45mph.

There are zero tunes for fuel right now and very few developmental stand alone for the new fuel management system. So with what bolt ons we have added we’re barely pushing the block’s potential.

My opinion: these trucks are a waste of money, get a base model trail boss and buy a crate LT4 motor for the same cost at the end of the day. I’ll be more detailed tomorrow after my travels and talking to my techs.
Given the nightmare global B is by itself I can’t imagine doing an entire engine swap would be easy. The upcoming V Escalade might make this easier on the T1 platform IF you can get the V ECM to talk to BCM. With all the lockdowns I can’t imagine it would be an easy task.

The major selling point for myself with the truck was basically the cooled seats and obviously the styling. The “performance” aspect is a wash with an TB 6.2 for street stuff as I’m sure most can agree.

Buying a 21 LTD TB and swapping the ZR2 suspension in is about as close as you can get at this point with a “modifiable ZR2” platform for horsepower.

I truly hope the AM doesn’t give up on global B. But market saturation and therefore demand needs to drastically increase to justify the R&D costs and headaches. We are year 3 into the C8 with no solutions.

Look forward to the post.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back