295/70r18 install

I'd like to throw the 35" version of the stock tire on the stock wheel, not a fan of aftermarket wheels for some reason.
I think someone else else has done it......305s I believe. Looked pretty good.

That's gonna be a hard fit without trimming. The limiting factor is wheel wells are just not very wide. You'll likely rub on both front and back when you get 90-100% lock with an increase of 1/2+ inch of new tread. Spacers, wider rims, - offset just amplifies it.

That's gonna be a hard fit without trimming. The limiting factor is wheel wells are just not very wide. You'll likely rub on both front and back when you get 90-100% lock with an increase of 1/2+ inch of new tread. Spacers, wider rims, - offset just amplifies it.
back to the drawing board

What's your take on aftermarket rims with a -12 offset and just run 33s to give it a better stance? Not sure if pushing the tire out will cause any obstructions on the wheel wells....

What's your take on aftermarket rims with a -12 offset and just run 33s to give it a better stance? Not sure if pushing the tire out will cause any obstructions on the wheel wells....
Before I swapped mine out I tested a few setups from mild to agressive. On my truck, it looked like they were all going to cause issues.

If you pull the stock wheel and tire and measure it at 37 psi, it's a 34 inch setup. I was surprised when I rolled it up to my new ones and the 295 Toyo MTs (1/3 of tread left) on my Duramax. They were very close to same height. They'll squat a little on the truck, but it is a fairly tall tire on that stock 8.5 rim. If you got to a 9 inch wide rim and -12 offset, you probably have rubbing.

I don't think a -12 8.5 inch rim helps much in the looks department. It will still be tucked too far in.

I don't think a -12 8.5 inch rim helps much in the looks department. It will still be tucked too far in.
This is a little different take and looks pretty. I like some rubber on my offroad rigs, so probably wouldn't go beyond 20s.

From my research I've done the stock wheels have a +26 offset which is just over an inch . So with another -12mm would push the tires out almost 1.5" from the stock wheel. I don't know , shit is so confusing.

Reactions: AXE
From my research I've done the stock wheels have a +26 offset which is just over an inch . So with another -12mm would push the tires out almost 1.5" from the stock wheel. I don't know , shit is so confusing.
I think you're pretty close on those calculations.

I went -18 and 9 inch rim cause I wanted the tread even with top part of fender flare, with the heavy shoulder lugs sticking out about 1.5 ish.

If I was close to you we'd already have that shit laying in the driveway and sitting enjoying our good work having a beer.

Last edited:

I went -18 cause I wanted the tread even with top part of fender flare, with the heavy shoulder lugs sticking out about 1.5 ish.

If I was close to you we'd already have that shit laying in the driveway and sitting enjoying our good work having a beer.
Not sure what GM engineers were thinking, but there is about a 3-4 inch difference between width of front wheel well vs back. That would give us about 1 to 1.5 more inches each side in the front. I do know there's a subframe brace holding the body to the frame. It could have been located a little readward. They must know that many people change out tires and rims. Maybe it's the only way they could make the suspension work as desired.

In the FWIW column, I sold my stock tires/wheels with 350 miles on them for $1400 to my neighbor. That is essentially the price of the rubber. He liked the rims and put them on his GMC Denali. They look great and he really likes the ride quality. My total cost was only about $2400 and a couple of saw blades, so makes it easier to justify.

I went -18 and 9 inch rim cause I wanted the tread even with top part of fender flare, with the heavy shoulder lugs sticking out about 1.5 ish.

Hell ya absolutely! I'll have a beer anyways lol. Appreciate your help. Wish Chevy would have made this easier ....

Here’s a pic of mine with stock tires and 18x9” with -12 mm offset.
E1068EC5-5E57-4FDB-A99C-CF530E8D459D.jpeg

Reactions: AXE

I think I read, or even saw a YT video, suggesting that spacers may contribute to some sort of suspension failure on our trucks. It was early on, but I could be mixing it up with the Trail Boss.

i had a tire place tell me 295/60/20 may fit with an OEM rim and bf goodrich tires. would def like to fill wheel well up.
Here my 295-55-20 on 20x9 0 offset rim. Tires are flush with truck. Running mudflaps on front and back with no rubbing. Any bigger on this setup and I couldn’t run flaps and prob be trimming which I didn’t want to do.

Attachments

• A0D08326-3172-4073-B0F3-ACD05351A105.jpeg
    A0D08326-3172-4073-B0F3-ACD05351A105.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 23B072E3-00BB-4DCB-ABAB-41D2CA19E0BD.jpeg
    23B072E3-00BB-4DCB-ABAB-41D2CA19E0BD.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 2335158F-030C-45B0-9658-159F0608F11F.jpeg
    2335158F-030C-45B0-9658-159F0608F11F.jpeg
    391.3 KB · Views: 131
  • CB857AAC-C42D-4B99-9374-21DE4539BDD0.jpeg
    CB857AAC-C42D-4B99-9374-21DE4539BDD0.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 129
I think I read, or even saw a YT video, suggesting that spacers may contribute to some sort of suspension failure on our trucks. It was early on, but I could be mixing it up with the Trail Boss.
I think spacers have been widely used based upon what I've seen. It will definitely change the feel of the suspension, but I don't see a huge risk with good quality spacers. That being said, there are inherent risks with any modifications and these trucks haven't been around long enough to really know.

Here my 295-55-20 on 20x9 0 offset rim. Tires are flush with truck. Running mudflaps on front and back with no rubbing. Any bigger on this setup and I couldn’t run flaps and prob be trimming which I didn’t want to do.
Looks good! Interesting that you could run those mudflaps and not get rubbing, most.of my rubbing was in the rear of wheel well. Front wasn't much better.

Most Member Reactions

Back