About that "Premium" Bose system...

It's definitely not very good. I'm hoping this is a software issue and that a reprogram will help at some point. afaik, the speakers are the same as the non-refresh trucks so it's either software with the new electronics or they've skimped on the hardware that's driving the speakers.

Curious if anyone has done any upgrades to their sound system yet (aside from the kicker sub option). Yes, I added the kicker sub, but for a $70k+ vehicle, I feel like the audio is definitely lacking...
Getting the sub installed Thursday. How much of a difference does it make?

Getting the sub installed Thursday. How much of a difference does it make?
The kicker sub makes a huge difference, But you need to adjust it. It has DIP switches on the bottom of the amp. Switch 1, 2 and 3 are for gain. It comes wit 1 up and the other two down. All 3 up is max gain. You can also by a kicker knob on Amazon that plugs into the amp that allows you to make on the fly adjustments to the bass level. If you do those two things to the factory sub it's pretty good.

The kicker sub makes a huge difference, But you need to adjust it. It has DIP switches on the bottom of the amp. Switch 1, 2 and 3 are for gain. It comes wit 1 up and the other two down. All 3 up is max gain. You can also by a kicker knob on Amazon that plugs into the amp that allows you to make on the fly adjustments to the bass level. If you do those two things to the factory sub it's pretty good.
Yea, I have to check this out myself... I had the sub installed before I picked up the truck, so I have no comparison between the system with/without the sub. I've heard about these dip switches. Is it hard to access them? I just haven't gotten out there to mess with it yet. Also, someone mentioned not putting all 3 dip switches up unless you have the adjustment knob. What's your thoughts? put 1 and 2 up?

Yea, I have to check this out myself... I had the sub installed before I picked up the truck, so I have no comparison between the system with/without the sub. I've heard about these dip switches. Is it hard to access them? I just haven't gotten out there to mess with it yet. Also, someone mentioned not putting all 3 dip switches up unless you have the adjustment knob. What's your thoughts? put 1 and 2 up?
Spend the 40 bucks and buy the knob. KICKER 46CXARCT on Amazon is the knob.
Then turn all three up. It's four screws screwed in to plastic. You can take the amp off adjust it and reinstall it in about 10 mins. I've done it a few times on mine when I was figuring out the setting.

Trust me, I had dual 10s and a 1000 watt amp in my Duramax. Also had a 300watt RMS digital amp on my highs and all my speakers were swapped out. Nothing crazy, but was about 3 grand system. The bose system with the factory sub after you make adjustments isn't bad at all. After my dealer put the sub in I wasn't impressed at all and was shopping for a enclosure and Amp after my drive home lol. I decided to look for controls on the kicker amp first before I gave up on. I went with the factory sub because I had gm points and I liked keeping some storage space under the seat. Something I really missed in the old truck with dual 10s.

Then turn all three up. It's four screws screwed in to plastic. You can take the amp off adjust it and reinstall it in about 10 mins. I've done it a few times on mine when I was figuring out the setting.

Trust me, I had dual 10s and a 1000 watt amp in my Duramax. Also had a 300watt RMS digital amp on my highs and all my speakers were swapped out. Nothing crazy, but was about 3 grand system. The bose system with the factory sub after you make adjustments isn't bad at all. After my dealer put the sub in I wasn't impressed at all and was shopping for a enclosure and Amp after my drive home lol. I decided to look for controls on the kicker amp first before I gave up on. I went with the factory sub because I had gm points and I liked keeping some storage space under the seat. Something I really missed in the old truck with dual 10s.
Thanks for the info! Do I need to take of the top of the sub case first to access it? Also, curious how you hid the wire and mounted the knob. I'll definitely buy it. after the price of this truck, $40 is nothing. lol

Thanks for the info! Do I need to take of the top of the sub case first to access it? Also, curious how you hid the wire and mounted the knob. I'll definitely buy it. after the price of this truck, $40 is nothing. lol
Nope the amp is on the driver's side kind of tucked under the lip. You can get to it without removing the speaker. Just take out the 4 screws holding the amp. It's black on a black box sitting on a black floor with black screws. So a little hard to see lol.

I mounted my knob in the center console. The wire runs up the side under the plastic kick panels. Under the seat and up into the center console. The carpet under the seat isn't one piece. You can pull it back and just fish the wire though. I just slid the seat back all the way to give me room to work. The plastic kick panels just pop up and are held with clips. This just seemed like a good spot for it. I didn't really want it on the dash. It's not like you constantly are adjusting it. Mine sits on about 3/4 most of the time. But it's nice to be able to turn it up or down a little depending on the music and your mood. This sub will vibrate the mirrors with it turned up.
20221004_152657.jpg

Nope the amp is on the driver's side kind of tucked under the lip. You can get to it without removing the speaker. Just take out the 4 screws holding the amp. It's black on a black box sitting on a black floor with black screws. So a little hard to see lol.

I mounted my knob in the center console. The wire runs up the side under the plastic kick panels. Under the seat and up into the center console. The carpet under the seat isn't one piece. You can pull it back and just fish the wire though. I just slid the seat back all the way to give me room to work. The plastic kick panels just pop up and are held with clips. This just seemed like a good spot for it. I didn't really want it on the dash. It's not like you constantly are adjusting it. Mine sits on about 3/4 most of the time. But it's nice to be able to turn it up or down a little depending on the music and your mood. This sub will vibrate the mirrors with it turned up.
View attachment 882
Lol. That's actually a really good idea to put it there. Forgive me for the stupid question, but in 22 years of driving, this is the first time I'm doing any modifications to a vehicle. Which kick panels are you referring to that pop off? I'm so nervous to do shit like that. Haha

Lol. That's actually a really good idea to put it there. Forgive me for the stupid question, but in 22 years of driving, this is the first time I'm doing any modifications to a vehicle. Which kick panels are you referring to that pop off? I'm so nervous to do shit like that. Haha
Sorry, that might not even be the terminology. Just what I've always called them. The plastic trim pieces that cover the edge of the carpet and weather striping. No worries I post stuff so people don't have to reinvent the wheel. The whole idea is if you find something that works share the info 😉 Almost nothing online on the refreshed trucks. I know cause I looked haha. Upfitter switches, issues with wireless charging, sub. Ect. I had to figure it all out cause no solutions online yet.

If you have a local stereo shop "not the dealer " you could always check with them on adding the knob and adjusting the amp. If it's something your not comfortable doing. I get it. It's an expensive truck. If I had never pulled a dash apart or messed with running wires, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable starting on a ZR2 lol. But really the knob isn't bad. It plugs in like headphones with a 2.5mm jack on both ends. You can mount it anywhere with some double sided tape. I did drill a hole for the wire to mount mine where I did though. But you just stick it on the bottom of the dash if you wanted.
20221004_165001.jpg

Sorry, that might not even be the terminology. Just what I've always called them. The plastic trim pieces that cover the edge of the carpet and weather striping. No worries I post stuff so people don't have to reinvent the wheel. The whole idea is if you find something that works share the info 😉 Almost nothing online on the refreshed trucks. I know cause I looked haha. Upfitter switches, issues with wireless charging, sub. Ect. I had to figure it all out cause no solutions online yet.

If you have a local stereo shop "not the dealer " you could always check with them on adding the knob and adjusting the amp. If it's something your not comfortable doing. I get it. It's an expensive truck. If I had never pulled a dash apart or messed with running wires, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable starting on a ZR2 lol. But really the knob isn't bad. It plugs in like headphones with a 2.5mm jack on both ends. You can mount it anywhere with some double sided tape. I did drill a hole for the wire to mount mine where I did though. But you just stick it on the bottom of the dash if you wanted.View attachment 885
Awesome. Thanks for the tips and info!

I will admit I was wrong about this system. It could use more bass. Looks like these come with a tiny sub in the center console?

Has anyone tried a hideaway sub? I looked at the dimensions of a Kicker, but not sure if it will fit under the front seats. I'd like to get the rear lockable storage, so the GM Kicker sub wouldn't work.

Last edited:

Thank you so much for this - installed last night and bought the knob. Only thing... where are these DIP switches? I took off the amp with the 4 screws but it's just a box basically. Unless I got the wrong 4 screws.

Thank you so much for this - installed last night and bought the knob. Only thing... where are these DIP switches? I took off the amp with the 4 screws but it's just a box basically. Unless I got the wrong 4 screws.
No problem! There is a rubber plug that covers them. It just pops out. HTH
20221125_173356.jpg

I agree in general, I was pretty disappointed in the stock Bose sound, even coming from a previous gen (2015-2020) Escalade. Going and changing the EQ settings for bass, treble, etc. seemed to help a lot. I'll still probably get the Kicker sub, though.

Lol go figure the one place I didn’t look!

You saved me a ton of headache. All hooked up with the kicker knob. Sounds so much better with the dip switches configured.

Thanks!
NP! It's pretty strange that kicker or GM doesn't provide any info at all on these. No mention of the knob and zero mention of any adjustments. Advertising the knob seems like easy money for them. I'm actually pretty impressed with this little kicker. For a single 10" in a pretty compact box, it pulls its weight for sure. I don't think you could do any better with out losing more storage space.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back