Air Lift Super Duty Bags Installed

AXE

Reaction score
I put some Air Lift Super Duty 5000 air bags and Wireless One compressor on my rig today. It cost about $1350 for them shipped from RealTruck.com. I think Etrailer.com might be a little cheaper.

I did mine in the driveway and I did not drop the spare because that only helps if you have a lift, so you have head clearance. I chocked up the front wheels and jacked up the truck under the reciever so the suspension was fully extended. Once you get the bags in place, you'll lower it some to get the bolts installed. Once you have the bags secured drop it again to install air compressor and lines.

I had my son help me so it was easier to hold the bags square and install the u bolts, but you can do it yourself.

Gave them a test and they work great. Compressor is quiet and efficient. You can hear it in the cab, which I like so I know if for sure air is being added. Takes about 65 seconds to go from 0 to 60 psi. Takes about 20 seconds or less to drop back to factory 5 psi that is a constant in computer.

Attachments

• 20240204_125832.jpg
    20240204_125832.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 20240204_125848.jpg
    20240204_125848.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 20240202_150955.jpg
    20240202_150955.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 20240204_155610.jpg
    20240204_155610.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Overall install was pretty easy, but a little tedious. Directions are good, but Etrailer.com has a couple of videos specifically for 2024 that are really good to watch prior to install. I did a couple things a little different, but for the most part the videos are spot on.

One thing to be aware of that isn't shown in the directions or that video is there are some plastic caps on the axle base plates that need to be removed as well. I believe this is unique to the ZR2 and set up to interact with the jounce and DSSV shocks. Otherwise, you cannot get the Super Duty mount to sit properly.

Attachments

• 20240204_160400.jpg
    20240204_160400.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
The bags sit pretty squarely on the frame and axle both empty and full. In the past, it seemed like they would sit a little forward leaning until they got some air and weight.

I don't care for the extra bolts protruding from bases and wish they were black oxide. I might spray them.

I painted the bag cups and heat shield black so they didn't look like flying saucers. The other kits come with black cups...... go figure.

The wireless compressor installs easy on the frame below the cab b pillar.

Attachments

• 20240204_160641.jpg
    20240204_160641.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 20240204_155951.jpg
    20240204_155951.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 20240204_160036.jpg
    20240204_160036.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 20240204_160641.jpg
    20240204_160641.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 20240204_160734.jpg
    20240204_160734.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20240204_160741.jpg
    20240204_160741.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 20240204_161140.jpg
    20240204_161140.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 20240204_180749.jpg
    20240204_180749.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
In the past with lifted trucks, I've run some Daystar cradles in place of the lower mount so the bag will free float. This is so the suspension can fully extend without pulling the bag apart. The way theses installed, there is still some slack in the bag when suspension is fully extended, so don't think they are needed.

I am going to test this on some off camber terrain. I may end up installing some cradles later if they look stressed.

I'm a little surprised you didn't go for the ultimate series with the internal jounce bumper. That way you can run the bags at zero or open even.

How did they effect up travel? That was one aspect where the trailboss bags killed the ride on my 1500. The upper bracket and bag took up way more space then the stock jounce did. Which meant big bumps were harsh. That was why I ended up adding cradles and mixing up bags and brackets from two kits.

Reactions: AXE
I didn't want that internal jounce specifically because I thought it would interfere with the performance of the DSSV suspension by limiting travel on the down stroke. Before I ordered, I measured and didn't think there was enough clearance before the jounce would come into play, maybe 2.5 inches.

Up travel is fully extended in two of those pictures and the bag was still pliable, so I think it's good. It seemed to ride the same over some speed bumps and a choppy dirt road near my house. Won't really know until some more ride time and testing.

I've run this same bag on three different trucks before this, two lifted, one not. I liked how they worked towing between 13 and 16k.

Last edited:
I’m waiting to put my little Peak lift on before I install this. I want to make sure I don’t need those lift spacers that elevate the base platform. Did you end up needing them?

I’m waiting to put my little Peak lift on before I install this. I want to make sure I don’t need those lift spacers that elevate the base platform. Did you end up needing them?
This is on a 2500HD, so different setup from the 1500. The base plate was not compatible with the lower bag mount. 8-ball had posted some photos and info on his 1500 air bags.

This is on a 2500HD, so different setup from the 1500. The base plate was not compatible with the lower bag mount. 8-ball had posted some photos and info on his 1500 air bags.
Not a lot of time has passed since your install but figured I would ask if you still think that cradles aren't needed or do you still need more testing to determine that? Would there be any downside using them on a new install such as requiring different upper mounting hardware, etc.?

I've been traveling for work, so haven't even driven the truck for two weeks. No meaningful seat time with the bags or towing. Hell, the truck is 4 months old and I've ony driven it 1000 miles.

I think you can mount the cradles to the lower bracket and they would work fine. I feel like you might have less clearance for the bags with added thickness. So In theory that might mean a slightly harsher ride, since you'll be into the bags sooner. Probably not a big deal.

I used cradles on my 6 inch lifted trucks and thought they were needed. Not sure they are on this rig as the bags were still a tad loose at full extentsion with included mounts.

I've been traveling for work, so haven't even driven the truck for two weeks. No meaningful seat time with the bags or towing. Hell, the truck is 4 months old and I've ony driven it 1000 miles.

I think you can mount the cradles to the lower bracket and they would work fine. I feel like you might have less clearance for the bags with added thickness. So In theory that might mean a slightly harsher ride, since you'll be into the bags sooner. Probably not a big deal.

I used cradles on my 6 inch lifted trucks and thought they were needed. Not sure they are on this rig as the bags were still a tad loose at full extentsion with included mounts.

Any particular reason why you chose Air Lift vs Firestone?

Any particular reason why you chose Air Lift vs Firestone?
I've always thought they were the best brand and never had leaks or issues. Also like their compressors and remotes. I've had two sets on two different trucks for 10 years each. That's a pretty good run. I've got two sets on two other trucks now, so we'll see how it goes.

If I recall back 22 years ago when I did my first set of bags, the Firestones were prone to leaking. Not sure what the reviews are now.

Yes. Old school gas station. A buddy of mine sold his gas station/wrecker service and I bought the lift for $50 with the caveat I had to move it. I cut it out with a concrete saw and pulled them and moved it with his wrecker. Another buddy with a backhoe dug a hole 8 feet straight down next to my driveway, then we set it with the backhoe. I then poured the pad. The whole project cost me $600 not counting my labor. I live in a residential neighborhood didn't want a 4 post lift in the front of my house. I'm "that guy....."

Last edited:
Yes. Old school gas station. A buddy of mine sold his gas station/wrecker service and I bought the lift for $50 with the caveat I had to move it. I cut it out with a concrete saw and pulled them moved it with his wrecker. Another buddy with a backhoe dug a hole 8 feet straight down next to my driveway, then we set it with the backhoe. I then poured the pad. The whole project cost me $600 not counting my labor. I live in a residential neighborhood didn't want a 4 post lift in the front of my house. I'm "that guy....

That is awesome !!!

Yes. Old school gas station. A buddy of mine sold his gas station/wrecker service and I bought the lift for $50 with the caveat I had to move it. I cut it out with a concrete saw and pulled them moved it with his wrecker. Another buddy with a backhoe dug a hole 8 feet straight down next to my driveway, then we set it with the backhoe. I then poured the pad. The whole project cost me $600 not counting my labor. I live in a residential neighborhood didn't want a 4 post lift in the front of my house. I'm "that guy....."
Sounds like me salvaging $50k boat lifts with 12’+ aluminum eye beams sunk 17’ into the mud. That is badass

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back