Borla 400844 Atak Crate Muffler

Are you guys leaving both factory resonators in and also installing the Borla resonator that comes with the kit?

Are you guys leaving both factory resonators in and also installing the Borla resonator that comes with the kit?
We are not installing the cat-back kit. We are just installing a new muffler after cutting out the OEM one. The muffler is like $250...why spend $1500-$2000 on a cat-back that's not necessary???

What @securityguy said, just hacking the OEM muffler and flapper out and swapping in the Borla muffler. I left factory resonators on but going to add a 14” resonator (@securityguy I don’t remember the brand the local shop had on hand, maybe MBRP?).

It’s all personal preference in the end, can’t echo that enough. It’s like asking does the truck have enough power? You can only answer that yourself.

We had a guy in this forum do this muffler swap and literally ended up driving hours, get a hotel, pay a muffler shop to swap, and trade another forum member straight up for their stock muffler he was so beside himself at the sound. Personally, I’m going a resonator route to tone it down a bit 😅

We are not installing the cat-back kit. We are just installing a new muffler after cutting out the OEM one. The muffler is like $250...why spend $1500-$2000 on a cat-back that's not necessary???
Because I ordered the kit a few months ago and it just arrived so I'm stuck with it :( All good though. I think I'll get them to do the Borla resonator as well as leaving in the factory set.

Because I ordered the kit a few months ago and it just arrived so I'm stuck with it :( All good though. I think I'll get them to do the Borla resonator as well as leaving in the factory set.
If you bought a cat-back kit, your factory resonators will be trashed and replaced with new piping with no good way to salvage them but to have them cut off the OEM pipe and welded into the cat-back if you really feel the need to do so based on the volume of your system. Personally, I'd buy a Borla resonator versus using the OEM crap resonators on a new cat-back system.

What @securityguy said, just hacking the OEM muffler and flapper out and swapping in the Borla muffler. I left factory resonators on but going to add a 14” resonator (@securityguy I don’t remember the brand the local shop had on hand, maybe MBRP?).

It’s all personal preference in the end, can’t echo that enough. It’s like asking does the truck have enough power? You can only answer that yourself.

We had a guy in this forum do this muffler swap and literally ended up driving hours, get a hotel, pay a muffler shop to swap, and trade another forum member straight up for their stock muffler he was so beside himself at the sound. Personally, I’m going a resonator route to tone it down a bit 😅
Can you take a pic of it under the truck so I can see its size and where they tied it in? Thanks

Can you take a pic of it under the truck so I can see its size and where they tied it in? Thanks
I’ve gotta find time to drop it off (or catch them when I have time to wait) but will do when it’s installed. 👍

Exactly, it really is a personal preference thing. I heard the Borla performance oem exhaust and I wasn't impressed, especially for 2k. I opted for the Atak crate muffler for 280. I hadn't heard it in person yet. I figured it was cheap enough that I could try something else if I didn't like it.

Personally I think it's spot on. Loud enough to hear but not obnoxious. Cold starts are a little rowdy, but it sounds good and again it's not obnoxiously loud. It quiets down very quick. Really though pretty much anything other then stock Is going to be a little rowdy on cold starts. Some more then others, but if you are cranking up in a garage at 5 am and trying not to wake up anyone in the house. Probably should just leave it stock really. It's a 6.2 v8. Even with stock exhaust I could hear my truck crank in the garage with remote start lol.

I bought the ATAK Cat Back kit from SS Exhaust in Arlington TX for $1250, no shipping and no tax. Had it installed for $200. It is louder than the S I had on my LTZ but I am an old 60s Muscle Car (64 GTO) guy so the louder and more on obnoxious, the better I like it.

Attachments

• 4CC52E20-208E-46B1-903B-4EAB6774F8C4.jpeg
    4CC52E20-208E-46B1-903B-4EAB6774F8C4.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 92
  • CC57CCA6-69B0-4A35-8A8C-9CC1612335A0.jpeg
    CC57CCA6-69B0-4A35-8A8C-9CC1612335A0.jpeg
    375 KB · Views: 94
  • FC37596D-BED3-4601-A532-A7CC170A3E46.jpeg
    FC37596D-BED3-4601-A532-A7CC170A3E46.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 89
  • D323461E-B4F8-4A1D-953E-43B4E4FE3674.jpeg
    D323461E-B4F8-4A1D-953E-43B4E4FE3674.jpeg
    460.2 KB · Views: 89
  • FCD163D2-377D-48B5-BF96-B6CB66EE500E.jpeg
    FCD163D2-377D-48B5-BF96-B6CB66EE500E.jpeg
    464.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 56A0CD0C-C2AA-4F53-B3FC-6A517D4138FF.jpeg
    56A0CD0C-C2AA-4F53-B3FC-6A517D4138FF.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 97
I bought the ATAK Cat Back kit from SS Exhaust in Arlington TX for $1250, no shipping and no tax. Had it installed for $200. It is louder than the S I had on my LTZ but I am an old 60s Muscle Car (64 GTO) guy so the louder and more on obnoxious, the better I like it.
Very surprising that, for a professional $200 install, they used clamps and did not weld the pipes. They should have welded all of the fittings.

I like my Borla "S" with the resonator it came with. To me it sounds like a C8. Cold starts are aggressive with the garage closed up. Traveling down the highway though, it is very mellow. I like the shot of the oil filter. Now I don't have to look it up. AC Delco PF 63.

I like my Borla "S" with the resonator it came with. To me it sounds like a C8. Cold starts are aggressive with the garage closed up. Traveling down the highway though, it is very mellow. I like the shot of the oil filter. Now I don't have to look it up. AC Delco PF 63.
The Borla S doesn't come with a resonator?

If you bought a cat-back kit, your factory resonators will be trashed and replaced with new piping with no good way to salvage them but to have them cut off the OEM pipe and welded into the cat-back if you really feel the need to do so based on the volume of your system. Personally, I'd buy a Borla resonator versus using the OEM crap resonators on a new cat-back system.
Good call, maybe I'll leave the OEM cats out and just do the full cat back install since I have the kit, I can always add another resonator later. I dont mind the loud cold start but absolutely need some tone when I step on it

The Borla S doesn't come with a resonator?
The Borla S-type does come with a resonator. The S-type and the Attack use the exact same muffler. The difference between the systems is what comes after the muffler. The S-type gets a resonator and the Attack gets a Polyphonic Harmonizer.
The clamps are part of the kit, and are used to allow the system to be easily removed or modified. If you want to go from S-type to Attack you just pull the resonator out and install the Polyphonic Harmonizer.
I have the S-type on my ZR2 and wanted it a little louder, so I removed the resonator and installed a 3.5" section of t-304 stainless pipe. To me, it sounds perfect! The whole system is very high quality and can easily be removed, and the stock system re installed. I can transfer it to my next truck if I so chose or sell it. I've done the muffler swaps on both my '20 and '21 trail bosses and while they sounded good, I always had drone with them. (I hate drone) With the Borla system you will not have any drone.

The Borla S-type does come with a resonator. The S-type and the Attack use the exact same muffler. The difference between the systems is what comes after the muffler. The S-type gets a resonator and the Attack gets a Polyphonic Harmonizer.
The clamps are part of the kit, and are used to allow the system to be easily removed or modified. If you want to go from S-type to Attack you just pull the resonator out and install the Polyphonic Harmonizer.
I have the S-type on my ZR2 and wanted it a little louder, so I removed the resonator and installed a 3.5" section of t-304 stainless pipe. To me, it sounds perfect! The whole system is very high quality and can easily be removed, and the stock system re installed. I can transfer it to my next truck if I so chose or sell it. I've done the muffler swaps on both my '20 and '21 trail bosses and while they sounded good, I always had drone with them. (I hate drone) With the Borla system you will not have any drone.
I thought maybe they used the same muffler! Sound levels are so much the choice of the end user. When I was younger, I definitely enjoyed louder exhausts! Now that I'm an old Geezer I like a more mellow tone, LOL. I used to buy exhausts for every motorcycle that I owned and some on dirt bikes were loud as hell! Following a Harley on a road trip with loud pipes kind of cured me a bit. I agree with you on drone. My biggest worry was an aftermarket exhaust would create drone and this one doesn't.

Then you are talking about the cat-back and not the muffler only. You have to be very clear as some buy the cat-back and others save money, get the same results, and just buy the $250 muffler.

I thought maybe they used the same muffler! Sound levels are so much the choice of the end user. When I was younger, I definitely enjoyed louder exhausts! Now that I'm an old Geezer I like a more mellow tone, LOL. I used to buy exhausts for every motorcycle that I owned and some on dirt bikes were loud as hell! Following a Harley on a road trip with loud pipes kind of cured me a bit. I agree with you on drone. My biggest worry was an aftermarket exhaust would create drone and this one doesn't.
Yep...no drone at all.

Most Member Reactions

Back