Borla 400844 Atak Crate Muffler

Then you are talking about the cat-back and not the muffler only. You have to be very clear as some buy the cat-back and others save money, get the same results, and just buy the $250 muffler.
Your correct. The muffler is the better way to go money wise. Had I thought more about it I would have done that.

Then you are talking about the cat-back and not the muffler only. You have to be very clear as some buy the cat-back and others save money, get the same results, and just buy the $250 muffler.
Yes, I am referring to the cat back.

Can you take a pic of it under the truck so I can see its size and where they tied it in? Thanks
9C06C745-F23C-49BF-9A96-AE2D7134A226.jpeg

Toned down a bit but still has some growl, a nice in between for the wife and me. I just realized I didn’t even ask them the brand, it was something they stocked, $120 all in cost.

View attachment 1733
Toned down a bit but still has some growl, a nice in between for the wife and me. I just realized I didn’t even ask them the brand, it was something they stocked, $120 all in cost.
I get that we all want to save money and sill have a nice sounding exhaust. I have went that route many times. The thing is, on the exhaust with any '19-'23 truck with the 6.2. It goes from 3.5" diameter down to 3" from the flapper and muffler, then back to 3.5" and then to 2.5" for the dual tail pipes. The whole purpose of a performance exhaust is to decrease back pressure, which will in turn increase HP and TQ. All performance exhaust systems use mandrel bent tubing to smooth the exhaust flow, which also increases power. The Borla kits are also all 3.5" diameter from the flange at the y to the dual split at the rear. If you do decide to just do a muffler swap, you should at least cut out all the 3" and replace it with a 3.5' muffler and tubing. Then you you will get a nice gain in power, along with the sound we all love!

Last edited:
I get that we all want to save money and sill have a nice sounding exhaust. I have went that route many times. The thing is, on the exhaust with any '19-'23 truck with the 6.2 it goes from 3.5" diameter down to 3" from the flapper and muffler, then back to 3.5" and then to 2.5" for the dual tail pipes. The whole purpose of a performance exhaust is to decrease back pressure, which will in turn increase HP and TQ. All performance exhaust systems use mandrel bent tubing to smooth the exhaust flow, which also increases power. The Borla kits are also all 3.5" diameter from the flang at the y to the dual split at the rear. If you do decide to just do a muffler swap, you should at least cut out all the 3" and replace it with a 3.5' muffler and tubing. Then you you will get a nice gain in power, along with the sound we all love!
Yes!!

It wasn’t necessarily to save money it had to do more with sound. I love AWE and have it on my grand sport corvette. It’s just too loud for an everyday driver/business vehicle. The muffler gives it a little growl without being too crazy.

I get that we all want to save money and sill have a nice sounding exhaust. I have went that route many times. The thing is, on the exhaust with any '19-'23 truck with the 6.2. It goes from 3.5" diameter down to 3" from the flapper and muffler, then back to 3.5" and then to 2.5" for the dual tail pipes. The whole purpose of a performance exhaust is to decrease back pressure, which will in turn increase HP and TQ. All performance exhaust systems use mandrel bent tubing to smooth the exhaust flow, which also increases power. The Borla kits are also all 3.5" diameter from the flange at the y to the dual split at the rear. If you do decide to just do a muffler swap, you should at least cut out all the 3" and replace it with a 3.5' muffler and tubing. Then you you will get a nice gain in power, along with the sound we all love!
My thoughts are that If you really think that your system will produce more power, or anything truly measurable, you are mistaken. I agree with what you stated above regarding the pipe differences. However, any high-quality free-flow muffler system will provide a reduction in back pressure and replacing the entire cat-back's performance enhancement over a free flow replacement is almost non-existent. Only a true DYNO will tell, but it will be negligible and you will never feel it.

All good, to each his own…I have a 3500 duramax tuned up for all extra power I need….if I were chasing horsepower here I would have gone a supercharged route to be honest. Simply wanted a bit of v8 tone. First world problems 🍻

I’m digging around for a Borla part number for the Touring and Type S muffler only options, anyone have those numbers by chance? I think the ATAK may be a bit too much for my needs.
S-Type part number 400843, don’t know about the touring.

I don't think you're really gaining any HP with any exhaust. Maybe 1 or 2 hp. I did mine simply for sound. Louder might seem faster, but like someone else mentioned a dyno would probably have a hard time telling the difference. Lol, Now if you could cut the cats off and do a Tune. Then you might start seeing something.

same time though, spending 2k Worrying about a couple hp while everyone is putting bigger lifts and aggressive 35s is sort of pointless.

Reactions: AXE
I don't think you're really gaining any HP with any exhaust. Maybe 1 or 2 hp. I did mine simply for sound. Louder might seem faster, but like someone else mentioned a dyno would probably have a hard time telling the difference. Lol, Now if you could cut the cats off and do a Tune. Then you might start seeing something.

same time though, spending 2k Worrying about a couple hp while everyone is putting bigger lifts and aggressive 35s is sort of pointless.
I agree completely! I just want the sound of my truck to match the look. ROUGH and TOUGH!

Anyone install this on the latest gen Silverado? I have a new 2023 ZR2 and want to bump up the sound. Found this after a lot of research since I don't want a CAT-BACK...just a muffler replace. Not interested in straight piping it. Sells for around $270 and Borla makes awesome products. Anyone done this and thoughts on this muffler or a recommendation for another high quality muffler?

Thanks!
Put a Borla 400844 on this month.

Attachments

• IMG_3650.mov
    23.2 MB

Most Member Reactions

Back