🔥 HOT Hood Paint Damage bulletin and fix is finally here

For the life of me, I can't figure out why they didn't just stamp these hoods like they do for the Duramax. It would look higher quality and be virtually problem free. They created a problem that should have never existed.

I guess so they could issue some lighter colored trucks with black contrasting cowlings?
i was supposed to bring truck in for the hood scoop paint issue. i decided to ride this out. the more i thought about it, the more i realised what crappy fix GM is going with. foam tape off of Amazon? GM has to come up with something better. rumored new hood and scoop for 24 models maybe.

i was supposed to bring truck in for the hood scoop paint issue. i decided to ride this out. the more i thought about it, the more i realised what crappy fix GM is going with. foam tape off of Amazon? GM has to come up with something better. rumored new hood and scoop for 24 models maybe.
Our 2023's just have the thicker tape. But it works fine. There is a lot of accessories held on with two sided tape these days. I think that a carbon fiber wrap would look cool on the scoop.

So I saw this and immediately have to post this! I bought my truck Jan 20 of this year and as a lot of people I had the common problem with paint chipping. I took it to the dealership they were completely unaware of this problem but promised to take care of it. On March 27 the dealership took my truck to have this fixed service manager stated that GM has come up with a solution and this is exactly what they did to mine. Removed the scoop I did get to choose the body shop where they would fix the paint however they did not respray the whole hood. But did fix the issue and done a good job fixing the paint. Went back to the dealer ship they broke the clips when removing the scoop for paint. So I had to wait and extra week for new parts to come in so they could finish the repair. Fast forward to this week I am currently out of town and noticed that the paint has started to chip again from the scoop rubbing. This time it’s only on the back not the front. Here are some pictures after the repair it’s hard to see the tape in the photos I tried to point it out with my knife. But I could tell there was more clearance in the scoop than before. It added a gap that I don’t like as compared to before. Anyways the back of the scoop the tape did not seem to be placed far enough back to keep the scoop from rubbing on the corners. I have an appointment Friday to drop my truck off to repeat this whole process. The service manager stated that They were going to just put the tape completely around the scoop and not just strips. I hope this helps anyone who is concerning having this done. I am not satisfied at all with this whole process but maybe this gives you guys a good understanding of what to do. Ask any questions I’ll do my best.

Attachments

• IMG_6870.jpeg
    IMG_6870.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6869.jpeg
    IMG_6869.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_6872.jpeg
    IMG_6872.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6871.jpeg
    IMG_6871.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 115
Yeah, it's pretty much a hack fix! May as well just put a bead of black silicone around it

Last edited:
I just wish they would ditch this hood and put the standard Silverado hood on these things. I still hate the scoop on mine. It's too big and then there's the glare you get sometimes from the back of it. Just a shit design all the way around.

So I saw this and immediately have to post this! I bought my truck Jan 20 of this year and as a lot of people I had the common problem with paint chipping. I took it to the dealership they were completely unaware of this problem but promised to take care of it. On March 27 the dealership took my truck to have this fixed service manager stated that GM has come up with a solution and this is exactly what they did to mine. Removed the scoop I did get to choose the body shop where they would fix the paint however they did not respray the whole hood. But did fix the issue and done a good job fixing the paint. Went back to the dealer ship they broke the clips when removing the scoop for paint. So I had to wait and extra week for new parts to come in so they could finish the repair. Fast forward to this week I am currently out of town and noticed that the paint has started to chip again from the scoop rubbing. This time it’s only on the back not the front. Here are some pictures after the repair it’s hard to see the tape in the photos I tried to point it out with my knife. But I could tell there was more clearance in the scoop than before. It added a gap that I don’t like as compared to before. Anyways the back of the scoop the tape did not seem to be placed far enough back to keep the scoop from rubbing on the corners. I have an appointment Friday to drop my truck off to repeat this whole process. The service manager stated that They were going to just put the tape completely around the scoop and not just strips. I hope this helps anyone who is concerning having this done. I am not satisfied at all with this whole process but maybe this gives you guys a good understanding of what to do. Ask any questions I’ll do my best.
The "fix" is a hack job and not worth letting the grease monkeys screw with your hood IMPO.

My Dealer in So Cal says they are aware of the fix and have done one. He neglected to comment on how it went.
I am supposed to drop off in a month or so for (3) weeks+ so they can complete the repair.
they said they would provide a loaner, so im not too bummed about 3 weeks without my truck, but im sketched on the GM recommended Amazon repair.
Has anyone had this done and is satisfied with the results?
I am still well below the warranty expiration date and mileage, so I can wait for a better solution, but is there one?
Except getting rid of the stock ZR2 hood and putting on a lower trim hood without the scoop.
I doubt Chevy would pay that bill, but might be cheaper for them in the long run.

My Dealer in So Cal says they are aware of the fix and have done one. He neglected to comment on how it went.
I am supposed to drop off in a month or so for (3) weeks+ so they can complete the repair.
they said they would provide a loaner, so im not too bummed about 3 weeks without my truck, but im sketched on the GM recommended Amazon repair.
Has anyone had this done and is satisfied with the results?
I am still well below the warranty expiration date and mileage, so I can wait for a better solution, but is there one?
Except getting rid of the stock ZR2 hood and putting on a lower trim hood without the scoop.
I doubt Chevy would pay that bill, but might be cheaper for them in the long run.
They want you to leave it for 3-weeks??? Red flag my friend. This is a repair that can be done in a few hours at most according to what GM told the dealer to do.

my dealer got an ok from GM to respray my hood. they were giving me a colorado loaner and said it would take a week. damn.
When they did mine they would not respray the whole hood and would not give me a loner. It took a total of two week cause they broke some clips and had to order some more. I pray yours goes so much better that mine

When they did mine they would not respray the whole hood and would not give me a loner. It took a total of two week cause they broke some clips and had to order some more. I pray yours goes so much better that mine
thats not good. fuck them.

i bailed..i dont think they thought this out. im waiting.

thats not good. fuck them.
I was not happy at all. The body shop that did the paint I know and trust but the dealership would not pay to have the whole hood painted. So he repaired and had to blend the paint. You can’t tell he does awesome work. But the dealership wouldn’t Even let the body shop dissemble it and of course the broke the clips. It’s all a shit show from the beginning

I just had my service advisor at the dealer make a note of it in the system. That way I have it documented for future repair. I figured let it go until it's really annoying, then get the hood repaired correctly. I may not keep the truck as long as usual.

I just had my service advisor at the dealer make a note of it in the system. That way I have it documented for future repair. I figured let it go until it's really annoying, then get the hood repaired correctly. I may not keep the truck as long as usual.
Honestly think this is the best thing I had them document mine for the second time and thinking about just waiting it out as well. Or may come up with my own solution.

my thought exactly

Most Member Reactions

Back