Paint chipping

So my service manager said they are sticking a piece of rubber between the hood scoop and the hood. The way it should have come from the factory.

I checked with our mgr and rep and there is no GM fix yet.
My dealer said he had started a case (can't remember the official name he called it) on my truck and waited till he got a response from GM. I met with him at the body shop after he got the okay to repair. The manger of the body shop showed me a bulletin from GM that showed the different foam inserts and where under the scoop they needed to go.

Ask them for the bulletin #. So it can be verified on SI.

My dealer said he had started a case (can't remember the official name he called it) on my truck and waited till he got a response from GM. I met with him at the body shop after he got the okay to repair. The manger of the body shop showed me a bulletin from GM that showed the different foam inserts and where under the scoop they needed to go.
Ask them for the bulletin #. So it can be verified on SI.
Yes, please see if they will give you the bulletin number so I can share the bulletin with everyone else here. I still can't find anything new on SI.

Sub’d - looks like I’m picking my ZR2 in a week and would like to have them do this before I take delivery if possible

My paint started coming off at 800 miles dealer doesnt have body shop sent me to Toyota dealer that is gm certified came back with $5000.00 to paint all 4 doors and hood. Dealer said there is no way gm will pay that and give the dealer time to look around been 3 1/2 weeks havent heard anything. Paint is coming off bottom of all 4 doors and front corner of hood scoop. going to see if gm will take it back

My paint started coming off at 800 miles dealer doesnt have body shop sent me to Toyota dealer that is gm certified came back with $5000.00 to paint all 4 doors and hood. Dealer said there is no way gm will pay that and give the dealer time to look around been 3 1/2 weeks havent heard anything. Paint is coming off bottom of all 4 doors and front corner of hood scoop. going to see if gm will take it back
The dealer should eat the extra cost.

It should be GM. There's no need for the customer or the dealer to pay for this. It's a manufacturing defect.
I agree. I will let the dealer work with GM. 100% the customer should not pay a dime and it should get fixed though. For whatever it is worth my dealer said 11000 grand is what GM approved just for redoing the rock chip gaurd. I have no idea if that is true however.

My truck arrived and no chipping paint, which is surprising seeing as it sat for almost 5 months in Mexico. It's going to get a black PPF film under the scoop on Monday. Hopefully that will help keep it from chipping.

My truck arrived and no chipping paint, which is surprising seeing as it sat for almost 5 months in Mexico. It's going to get a black PPF film under the scoop on Monday. Hopefully that will help keep it from chipping.
I was considering doing something similar and possibly even having the scoop wrapped in a matte black at the same time to deal with the reflection issue I've read some people talk about. Any ideas how difficult it is to remove the scoop?

I was considering doing something similar and possibly even having the scoop wrapped in a matte black at the same time to deal with the reflection issue I've read some people talk about. Any ideas how difficult it is to remove the scoop?
1665595799126.png

1. Hood Insulator Retainer (1) » Remove [6x]
2. Release the 3 integral tabs at the bottom of the hood insulator.
3. Hood Insulator (2) » Remove

1665595807178.png

4. Hood Center Molding Nut (1) » Remove [8x]

1665595816550.png

5. Apply two layers of masking tape to the painted surface surrounding the hood center molding (2) to prevent paint damage.
6. Using a suitable plastic trim tool, carefully release the [14x] hood center molding retainers (1).
7. Hood Center Molding (2) » Remove

Reinstall:
  1. Hood Center Molding (2) » Install
  2. Ensure all of the hood center molding retainers (1) are fully seated. Hand tightened, not too tight.
  3. Remove the double layer of masking tape around the perimeter of the painted surfaces.
  4. Remove any remaining adhesive residue with a 50/50 mixture by volume of isopropyl alcohol and clean drinkable water. Wipe the surface dry with a clean lint-free towel.

Hoping to take delivery of my 2022 ZR2 built August 23, 2022 late next week. .
Do you think they corrected the paint issue as of this build date ?

View attachment 960
1. Hood Insulator Retainer (1) » Remove [6x]
2. Release the 3 integral tabs at the bottom of the hood insulator.
3. Hood Insulator (2) » Remove

View attachment 961
4. Hood Center Molding Nut (1) » Remove [8x]

View attachment 962

5. Apply two layers of masking tape to the painted surface surrounding the hood center molding (2) to prevent paint damage.
6. Using a suitable plastic trim tool, carefully release the [14x] hood center molding retainers (1).
7. Hood Center Molding (2) » Remove

Reinstall:
  1. Hood Center Molding (2) » Install
  2. Ensure all of the hood center molding retainers (1) are fully seated. Hand tightened, not too tight.
  3. Remove the double layer of masking tape around the perimeter of the painted surfaces.
  4. Remove any remaining adhesive residue with a 50/50 mixture by volume of isopropyl alcohol and clean drinkable water. Wipe the surface dry with a clean lint-free towel.
Thanks @GearheadSS - supposed to pick mine up next week when I get back to town, is this the official GM “fix” or a forum DIY recommendation (which is also appreciated)? Thx

Thanks @GearheadSS - supposed to pick mine up next week when I get back to town, is this the official GM “fix” or a forum DIY recommendation (which is also appreciated)? Thx
Like GearHead said there is no official fix but browse some of the Colorado ZR2 forums and this has become the unofficial fix for a lot of those owners of the years. Some of the owners went to using some foam tape and other solutions as well.

Most Member Reactions

Back