Pin Head Chips Front Grill and Bumper

Koppster

Reaction score
Anyone having problems with pin-head chips on the front grill and bumper? I'm seeing pin-head size chips on the grill and front bumper, 4 or 5 total.

I drive 20 miles each way on I-35 to and from to work and have taken the truck to Del Rio (200 miles) one time. Never had this issue with any other vehicle.

I also take it to a car wash every week but I take my wife's Cadillac there too and no issues with hers or previous vehicles.

Wondering if it has anything to do with the gloss black paint because I have never experienced this before.

Thanks
Rick

Anyone having problems with pin-head chips on the front grill and bumper? I'm seeing pin-head size chips on the grill and front bumper, 4 or 5 total.

I drive 20 miles each way on I-35 to and from to work and have taken the truck to Del Rio (200 miles) one time. Never had this issue with any other vehicle.

I also take it to a car wash every week but I take my wife's Cadillac there too and no issues with hers or previous vehicles.

Wondering if it has anything to do with the gloss black paint because I have never experienced this before.

Thanks
Rick
I had a clear bra installed in Albuquerque. It's a 3M product. Love it so far. It's practically invisible. BTW I have a Black 2023 ZR2 w/ Toyo Open Country AT111 33x12.5x20 . Give me a day and I'll download and post some pics.

I had a clear bra installed in Albuquerque. It's a 3M product. Love it so far. It's practically invisible. BTW I have a Black 2023 ZR2 w/ Toyo Open Country AT111 33x12.5x20 . Give me a day and I'll download and post some pics.
I've put 3000 miles on it in 3 weeks due to trip to Albuquerque. The clear bra is worth every penny. Not everything is covered like the plastic grill but 90% of painted surfaces are and it's even easier to clean. $700

Thanks
Rick
my grille is ok...a few tiny nicks on front bumper.

Quite a few chips…paint leaves quite a bit to be desired. 13,500 miles in a ‘22 has as many chips as my ‘16 GMC with 120k miles. Should have done the PPF as mentioned and will on my next one.

Didn’t help an idiot in a semi hauling chat was spraying gravel all over I-70 when I came up on him doing 80+ so I actually have a few chips that hit hard enough they dented the hood and busted the windshield. Getting the hood repainted due to the “factory chipping” issue between hood and fake cowl and having them fix dents too.

Quite a few chips…paint leaves quite a bit to be desired. 13,500 miles in a ‘22 has as many chips as my ‘16 GMC with 120k miles. Should have done the PPF as mentioned and will on my next one.

Didn’t help an idiot in a semi hauling chat was spraying gravel all over I-70 when I came up on him doing 80+ so I actually have a few chips that hit hard enough they dented the hood and busted the windshield. Getting the hood repainted due to the “factory chipping” issue between hood and fake cowl and having them fix dents too.
good plan..im thinking maybe do the film on my bumper. i also noticed the paint is soft on my rocker panels.

Same here - the front end is as flat as a chalk board - takes most missiles like a champ, but I am seeing quite a few chips on the bumper and front lip of the hood.
I'm getting clear bra in about a week. Interesting, the shop I go to said the bumper is "powder coated" and said they don't apply film on powder coated surfaces. I'll have to search out a shop that applies Xpel.
I bought a paint pen - apply it to the hood b4 the film - the official GM name for is the night sky blue is - "Some kind of blue metallic"!
I like what AXE said awhile back - the paint chips if you just squint at it sideways. :ROFLMAO:

The paint is shit. It craters when hit, not just regular dings.

Clear bra and PPF is good, but it doesn't last forever and you will eventually start seeing dirt accumulate along the edges and it will fade/oxidize. It's expensive and is a mess to replace as it leaves behind some nasty residue when peeled up.

Depends upon your objective, but if you really want protection for an off road truck, then Line X is the best solution. It won't look as refined, but it'll actually hold up over the long haul for less money. If you want a road queen to look good when it's in your driveway then some clear shit will work better.

Might be better just to take it to a body shop for some heavy clear when new. It's fun to spend another $2k to fix expensive cheap shit.

Last edited:
The paint is shit. It craters when hit, not just regular dings.

Clear bra and PPF is good, but it doesn't last forever and you will eventually start seeing dirt accumulate along the edges and it will fade/oxidize. It's expensive and is a mess to replace as it leaves behind some nasty residue when peeled up.

Depends upon your objective, but if you really want protection for an off road truck, then Line X is the best solution. It won't look as refined, but it'll actually hold up over the long haul for less money. If you want a road queen to look good when it's in your driveway then some clear shit will work better.

Might be better just to take it to a body shop for some heavy clear when new. It's fun to spend another $2k to fix expensive cheap shit.
"expensive cheap shit"....im stealing that. and yes.....my name is Steve and i drive a road queen.

I'm doing the bumper, hood, fenders, door cups and edges with PPF. It's not cheap, but I did it on my last truck and have no regrets. These things chip too easy. In fact, it already had two small paint chips off the lot.

Most Member Reactions

Back