Towing

They are more or less the same truck. ZR2 has softer suspension, so you will need airbags probably. You are well with in the 8900 rating on the zr2. 6.2 is the same in both trims, Same transmission, same rear end, ect. The only real difference is with a high country you can add a max trailering package that steps up the rear end gear ratio to 3.42 vs the standard 3.23. With the 10speed GM themselves has said going up on the gear ratio makes very little difference though. I'd go with which ever trim you like the most. It's not like a high country is known for having a stiff suspension that handles heavy loads either.
I'm towing my boat with the ZR2 for the first time tomorrow. Much smaller boat than yours though, lol. It's about a 65mile haul for me with a small mountain in the middle. Not concerned at all. Truck handles my Tractor NP.
View attachment 5239
Thanks...picked up the ZR2 Saturday.

This may have already been a thread so forgive me if I'm repeating things here....

Has anyone done much towing with their ZR2. Yes, I realize this is an off road truck with suspension tuned as such.

I've got a 5700 lb camper and based on what I've seen should be fine with a weight distributing hitch. I also plan to put airbags on when it gets here. Anyone have any suggestions or know for sure which ones will fit? I've been looking at the Airlift Loadlifter Pro Series which sounds like it should fit and my mechanic also seems to think it will.

I've watched the TFL guys tow a 10000 lb camper with a 1000 lb tongue weight on their "gauntlet" so figured it won't have any problems. Just curious to hear some firsthand account from anyone who has towed.

Thanks.
I Tow a 16ft tandem regularly and it does a good job. I do balance the jeep a little further back on the trailer to keep the load evenly distributed. The tow ratings are a little less than other GM trucks due to the suspension, but it still will do everything I need it to.

Attachments

• F3663224-3AC4-4157-9F3E-5D674E61B758.jpg
    F3663224-3AC4-4157-9F3E-5D674E61B758.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 26
Is there a difference in the tow ratings between the TB and ZR2?

I imagine the TB might be a tad better for towing.
Only a 200 pound difference, with the TB towing more

I've exceeded the GVWR on the truck by a significant margin on a 2,000 mile trip and aside from the inherent squat and the dreadful fuel mileage it handled it surprisingly well.

Attachments

• Long Haul MPG.jpg
    Long Haul MPG.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 27

Most Member Reactions

Back