295/70r/18 will fit stock?

So I have the same question that someone mentioned earlier...

I am running 17x8 methods with a tire size of 285/75/17. Zero rub. I have attached a screenshot with a tire size calculator pitting it against a 295/70/18. I want to get a bigger / taller tire without having to do a lift or use spacers. Anyone fit a 315/70/17? lol

Mainly because I do offroad it alot and I am afraid of going bigger with stock suspension, I wont be able to climb without rubbing. Photos and video of recent trips to Anza, CA.

Attachments

• 40AAB2AA-596C-40A5-B88D-C0EF7EAE3247.mp4
    8.5 MB
  • IMG_9402.JPG
    IMG_9402.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_9405.PNG
    IMG_9405.PNG
    360.5 KB · Views: 364
  • Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 11.35.24 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 11.35.24 PM.png
    119.3 KB · Views: 360
In my testing, tires that start to get in the 34.0 to 34.5 inch diameter range will start to rub. Wheel width and offset have an effect on installed tire clearance, as does each brand. There's always some variability in tire selection, so it's a crap shoot on the ZR2 with narrow wheel wells.

Hello, what do you think about 305/65/18?
It's just a little bigger 33.6 vs 33.2 but wider 12 vs 10.8 than stock.

I like the BF KO2 AT
62 lbs

Attachments

• Picsart_23-08-07_11-41-17-518.jpg
    Picsart_23-08-07_11-41-17-518.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 83
  • Picsart_23-08-07_11-41-44-832.jpg
    Picsart_23-08-07_11-41-44-832.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 83
In my testing, tires that start to get in the 34.0 to 34.5 inch diameter range will start to rub. Wheel width and offset have an effect on installed tire clearance, as does each brand. There's always some variability in tire selection, so it's a crap shoot on the ZR2 with narrow wheel wells.
Question, A local pawn shop has 4 brand new Nitto Grapplers 285/70R/18 tires and I can buy them for 800.00 dollars for the 4 tires. Will those fit ok on my 2022 stock suspension ZR2 without rubbing ? My stock tires are LT275/70R/18. Thank you !

Reactions: AXE
Question, A local pawn shop has 4 brand new Nitto Grapplers 285/70R/18 tires and I can buy them for 800.00 dollars for the 4 tires. Will those fit ok on my 2022 stock suspension ZR2 without rubbing ? My stock tires are LT275/70R/18. Thank you !
It's a little taller and wider tire, so potentially will rub some. For that price I'd buy them and try it out, that's 1400+ worth of tires.

I think some other guys are running 285s, but each tire brand is a little different.

It's a little taller and wider tire, so potentially will rub some. For that price I'd buy them and try it out, that's 1400+ worth of tires.

I think some other guys are running 285s, but each tire brand is a little different.
Thank you for your quick reply. I only have 12K miles on my Goodyear's now but I'm going to pick them up tomorrow and when my stock tires wear down some I'll replace them. I was looking at the tire comparison calculator and the difference isn't that much. Checkout the chart.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-08 221911.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-08 221911.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 88
Yeah the only other variable is rim width. I think stockers are 8.5 or 9 inch. A wider rim will stretch Tire and you'll lose height, but gain width. Opposite for narrower rim.

Before I started running HD 3/4 trucks, I always had 285s on my 1/2 ton trucks and they worked really well and looked great. I think they made these wheel wells too narrow to have flexibility for different tires.

Last edited:
Yeah the only other variable is rim width. I think stockers are 8.5 or 9 inch. A wider rim will stretch Tire and you'll lose height, but gain width. Opposite for narrower rim.

Before I started running HD 3/4 trucks, I always had 285s on my 1/2 ton trucks and they worked really well and looked great. I think they made these wheel wells too narrow to have flexibility for different tires.
Yes, I agree with you that they made the wells too narrow. For that kind of money I'll take my chances and maybe I'll even go with some Fuel wheels when the time comes to replace the tires. Thanks again !

Yes, I agree with you that they made the wells too narrow. For that kind of money I'll take my chances and maybe I'll even go with some Fuel wheels when the time comes to replace the tires. Thanks again !
Just posted on page 3 of this thread on Friday those exact tires. No rubbing issues at all, 285/70/18 Nitto ridge grapplers with fuel blitz wheels +20 offset. Highly suggest them, much better than the stock tires

Just posted on page 3 of this thread on Friday those exact tires. No rubbing issues at all, 285/70/18 Nitto ridge grapplers with fuel blitz wheels +20 offset. Highly suggest them, much better than the stock tires
Thank you, that's exactly the wheels I was looking at.

Question, When you switched out the wheels did you use the OEM sensors ? Did the tire shop just switched them from the stock wheels to the Fuels ? Thanks.

Question, When you switched out the wheels did you use the OEM sensors ? Did the tire shop just switched them from the stock wheels to the Fuels ? Thanks.
Correct, I just used stock OEM TPMS and discount tire transferred them for me for my new wheels.

I replaced my TPMS with some from Discount a d they were more accurate than stock ones. you may find it easier to sell your stockers with them installed. I sold mine to my neighbor for $1200 with 350 miles on them. Turns out the TPMS is not backwards compatible, so he had to swap them out anyway.

Thank you for your quick reply. I only have 12K miles on my Goodyear's now but I'm going to pick them up tomorrow and when my stock tires wear down some I'll replace them. I was looking at the tire comparison calculator and the difference isn't that much. Checkout the chart.
The Ridge’s run a little larger than the Recons. Also have a deeper tread. 16~ vs 13~.

That total extra 6/32’s of height (top and bottom of tire) adds up to .1875” so 33.7 (a true 285/70) plus that number is where that additional height comes from.

On 8.5 wheels (stock) nitto measures them at 33.99x11.50

Recons measure true to that calculator according to Nitto. Because of the 13/32 tread depth.

Last edited:
Here’s mine. Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 295/70R18. I love the stock wheels so kept those and just added 1 1/4” spacers. It rides just like stock. I cannot tell the difference. I did not have to do an alignment. Had to slightly trim the left front side of the bumper a little and the black plastic in the rear of the front wells (both sides) to eliminate rubbing. But the trimming was minor. Truck looks good and ride stock and doesn’t rub. Next is exhaust to make it sound rugged, tint windows and stealth Xpel PPF.

Attachments

• IMG_1458.jpeg
    IMG_1458.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_1456.jpeg
    IMG_1456.jpeg
    519.5 KB · Views: 434
We’ve established 35” won’t fit. Is this the largest size that will fit stock? Anyone have them? How do they look, if so?
Check out my photos. I haven’t had one issue at all with the Mickey Thompson tires. They are quite great grip on and off road and they have the mountain rating as well.

Just curious, but has anyone tried 305/70/18? I have the peak 1” lift and was curious if I could go bigger than the 295’s on stock wheels

Attachments

• IMG_0511.png
    IMG_0511.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Here’s mine. Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 295/70R18. I love the stock wheels so kept those and just added 1 1/4” spacers. It rides just like stock. I cannot tell the difference. I did not have to do an alignment. Had to slightly trim the left front side of the bumper a little and the black plastic in the rear of the front wells (both sides) to eliminate rubbing. But the trimming was minor. Truck looks good and ride stock and doesn’t rub. Next is exhaust to make it sound rugged, tint windows and stealth Xpel PPF.

Love your look, you nailed it. What spacers did you use, where did you buy and how have they been so far since it's been a few months?

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back