Paint chipping

They need to issue a bulletin or recall on this. Here's a new Trail Boss that just came in today.
My ZR2 paint was all perfect to start, then last week I started noticing the chipping around the hood insert. I took it in today and basically agreed with the service manager that we should wait a month or two to do anything in the hopes that GM comes out with a solution assuming it is related to the hood insert and not just bad paint. If we repaint it now it seems like it would most likely start chipping again. The only thing that could cause a repeated chipping would be the hood insert is vibrating at speed and rubbing on the paint, correct? What do you all think about waiting a bit and flooding GM with paint complaints? Then the question becomes where do we send our paint complaints?

That's really bad. I figured it started after vibrations from driving around a bit, but apparently not. Crossing my fingers for my truck that it doesn't come like this.
I do think vibration plays a part. I also think that all of the dirt that collects on those spots is helping cause this.

My ZR2 paint was all perfect to start, then last week I started noticing the chipping around the hood insert. I took it in today and basically agreed with the service manager that we should wait a month or two to do anything in the hopes that GM comes out with a solution assuming it is related to the hood insert and not just bad paint. If we repaint it now it seems like it would most likely start chipping again. The only thing that could cause a repeated chipping would be the hood insert is vibrating at speed and rubbing on the paint, correct? What do you all think about waiting a bit and flooding GM with paint complaints? Then the question becomes where do we send our paint complaints?
I wouldn’t hold your breath

I’ve kept mine virtually spotless since I bought it. I picked it up 1 week after it was dropped off. Still all 4 corners of mine are chipped
Well keep in mind that it's very dusty in Silao so when these are staged waiting on shipment, they're normally pretty dirty. All of ours have had a layer of that Mexico dust/dirt in the cracks.

Well keep in mind that it's very dusty in Silao so when these are staged waiting on shipment, they're normally pretty dirty. All of ours have had a layer of that Mexico dust/dirt in the cracks.
Working for another brand that also has a huge plant in Mexico we never see paint issues. It’s just poor paint quality plain and simple

Question, How many owners do we have that haven't had any paint issues as of yet, and how long have you had possession of your truck? I've had mine since the Saturday before Memorial Day and no issues yet.

May be a dumb question...but could the paint damage on bottom of doors be from illegals trying to catch a ride into the US? Are these trucks locked up while being transported on the rails?

Question, How many owners do we have that haven't had any paint issues as of yet, and how long have you had possession of your truck? I've had mine since the Saturday before Memorial Day and no issues yet.

May be a dumb question...but could the paint damage on bottom of doors be from illegals trying to catch a ride into the US? Are these trucks locked up while being transported on the rails?
My paint was fine for about a month and than started falling off.

Mine is starting around the hood as well, very small chips. I think it may have to do with the different materials used on the hood (plastic and aluminum). I noticed when I pull the truck out of the garage into the hot sun, I can hear creaking and popping sounds from the different materials reacting to the heat. Idk, just a guess.

They need to issue a bulletin or recall on this. Here's a new Trail Boss that just came in today.
do you drive on the highway a lot, I'm thinking this is being caused by air getting underneath and vibrating the cowl. that one is much worse than mine, but i haven't done much highway driving yet as i only have 300 miles on it.

do you drive on the highway a lot, I'm thinking this is being caused by air getting underneath and vibrating the cowl. that one is much worse than mine, but i haven't done much highway driving yet as i only have 300 miles on it.
That truck is one that just arrived at our dealership. It has like 3 miles on it. I think they see a lot of vibration on the train ride from Mexico with a bunch of dirt caked on the hoods.

Add mine to the club. 5 days and 100 miles

Attachments

• Paint Chip.jpg
    Paint Chip.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 183

May be a dumb question...but could the paint damage on bottom of doors be from illegals trying to catch a ride into the US? Are these trucks locked up while being transported on the rai

I never said it wasn't poor quality.
i know. i wasn't trying to call you out or anything. sorry if i came off a little strong

Not likely. We would be seeing damage to more than just the ZR2 doors and so far, those are the only trucks with this issue on the doors. It's just a quality issue with adhesion of the paint.

This is my 2nd ZR2 in 4 weeks. Both are/were peeling on the bottom of all 4 doors and hood. I’ve now been to 3 separate body shops and all have said the same thing…poor paint quality and not enough flash time to allow drying. Their guess is workers are pushing out these trucks so fast that proper curing time isn’t being allowed. Hence, paint peeling and flaking. Ready for the fix? Remove hood and all 4 doors, disassemble exterior and interior door and hood trim, strip and repaint then reassemble. Good luck with it looking factory much less things fitting tightly like from factory. Those comments also came from the body shop managers. I would assume most if not all of our trucks will peel. I’ve been on the phone with GM 3 different times, and I will never call them again….useless. Very frustrating.

This is my 2nd ZR2 in 4 weeks. Both are/were peeling on the bottom of all 4 doors and hood. I’ve now been to 3 separate body shops and all have said the same thing…poor paint quality and not enough flash time to allow drying. Their guess is workers are pushing out these trucks so fast that proper curing time isn’t being allowed. Hence, paint peeling and flaking. Ready for the fix? Remove hood and all 4 doors, disassemble exterior and interior door and hood trim, strip and repaint then reassemble. Good luck with it looking factory much less things fitting tightly like from factory. Those comments also came from the body shop managers. I would assume most if not all of our trucks will peel. I’ve been on the phone with GM 3 different times, and I will never call them again….useless. Very frustrating.
Great info. So do you think if I get the hood repainted the right way it will stay intact, or do you think the hood insert has any vibration or contact with the hood paint that is causing the corners to flake and it will just happen again? I hate to repaint it in a week, and then have it happen again in a month.

Yeah it's not likely that it will ever match the rest of the factory paint. I have no interest in owning a truck that needs something painted when it's still new. This is why I'm not going with a 2022 now. I think they have a lot of issues to get through on these refresh trucks and the paint is just one of them.

It definitely depends on your body guy. There are some excellent body guys and painters out there. The paint will honestly probably be better then factory in some cases

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back