Paint chipping

Went to the body shop today to get my paint issues looked at(hood scoop, peeling paint, etc) and the body shop guy noticed something. Those of you with paint issues related to the hood scoop have you noticed blue paint on the scoop where it meets the hood?

Also those with the door problems look in the jam. I have paint coming off there as well.

Attachments

• 1293017E-4987-4C6F-B545-213CCAF2838D.jpeg
    1293017E-4987-4C6F-B545-213CCAF2838D.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 193
Went to the body shop today to get my paint issues looked at(hood scoop, peeling paint, etc) and the body shop guy noticed something. Those of you with paint issues related to the hood scoop have you noticed blue paint on the scoop where it meets the hood?

Also those with the door problems look in the jam. I have paint coming off there as well.
I dont have any blue paint by the hood scoop where it is flaking off.

That looks like some sort of insulator between the paint and the hood insert. Almost looks like blue painters tape to me.
It looks like a bad blue pin stripe. The body shop guy thinks it’s primer or the scoop is blue plastic and it wasn’t completely painted. The paint issues keep piling up. Goobers on the roof, thin spots on the front quarter panels, and in between seemed there are air bubbles that are starting to peel.

So I had my hood fixed and within 1 day the paint cracked and is started to flake off on all 4 corners of the hood insert again. Gm better come out with something. redesign the hood insert or come out with some type of spacer

Since I’ve had two ZR2’S now in the past 4 weeks with BOTH having paint peeling on all 4 doors and hoods (along with a tear in the passenger seat, paint defects on the rear spoiler, and damaged tow hooks to name a few other defects), I have decided to trade this 2nd consecutive pile of SHI* in while I can get my money out of it. I found a Lexus dealer willing to give me what I paid for it and I’m headed back to a Lexus SUV. I’ve had several Lexus vehicles and know exactly what quality I’m getting. I’m so ticked off that GM would even allow these trucks out of the factory in the conditions they are in. Worst build quality I’ve seen in a long time. Lifters, paint issues, zero quality control, I’m done with GM. I wish you all luck getting this stuff fixed. Me, I can’t continue to own a new truck that needs all 4 doors and hood repainted immediately after purchasing. Once panels are torn apart, clips compromised, etc, it’s never the same. I didn’t pay $73K for a “new” truck that is nowhere close to new condition. Cheers everyone, best wishes.

I just got my bid back from the dealer's body shop. $8,000! Come on GM!

This was from a Facebook post.

For all of you with the paint issue on the hood only, Have your dealer reference Service Information bulletin #PIT 5930. The bottom line is that they are aware of the issue and are working on a permanent fix.

Attachments

• C6A751E7-4FEB-49DE-A27D-45E3EDEB3AA6.jpeg
    C6A751E7-4FEB-49DE-A27D-45E3EDEB3AA6.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 254
Went to a neighboring town dealer this morning that has a ZR2 on the lot close to what I want and I had a couple observations:
1. paint chipped on hood already, they had no idea.
2. Also tailpipes we’re not even, left side hung down 1.5” below bumper.
Where is the quality on a $70k vehicle? Really second guessing my truck that’s coming in next couple weeks.

Went to a neighboring town dealer this morning that has a ZR2 on the lot close to what I want and I had a couple observations:
1. paint chipped on hood already, they had no idea.
2. Also tailpipes we’re not even, left side hung down 1.5” below bumper.
Where is the quality on a $70k vehicle? Really second guessing my truck that’s coming in next couple weeks.
I'm glad you mentioned the tailpipe, i noticed that on mine, not 1.5" but it is definitely lower than the right side... was that the factory exhaust or the optional Borla exhaust?

Oh, and at 1,000 miles --- paint chips around the hood scoop.

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I was just browsing a dealer lot, and they had 2 new Trail Bosses - I got out to inspect just to see if there was chipping. The hood inserts on both of them had chipping on both the corners closest to the grill as well as the rear of the insert closest to the windshield. Too bad that this is an issue, but I'm guessing it's probably on all of them...

I was at my dealer today to get an alignment done because my steering wheel was off from the factory. While I was there I asked my service advisor about the paint on the hood chipping. He was aware of the issue and told me to wait till GM has a resolution to the problem. He informed me that GM will only repaint it one time. Well I'm gonna take his advise and wait till the last minute!

I was at my dealer today to get an alignment done because my steering wheel was off from the factory. While I was there I asked my service advisor about the paint on the hood chipping. He was aware of the issue and told me to wait till GM has a resolution to the problem. He informed me that GM will only repaint it one time. Well I'm gonna take his advise and wait till the last minute!
well gm already repainted mine before the tsb came out so they better fix it once the repair comes out. it didn't last 1 day

well gm already repainted mine before the tsb came out so they better fix it once the repair comes out. it didn't last 1 day
I would get on them right away. Get it in writing that they will repair it whenever GM comes up with a solution.

Here’s mine and not even 24 hours of ownership. Not sure if this helps but my build date shows 5/22.

Photos shot with iPad at 5x zoom. It looks bigger in the photos and if you look with the naked eye it’s looks like dirt.

Attachments

• 0A5FB841-0D69-457A-8D0F-8F431F05E589.jpeg
    0A5FB841-0D69-457A-8D0F-8F431F05E589.jpeg
    392.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 1878EF7E-9206-4761-AAA2-49F04F9F23AB.jpeg
    1878EF7E-9206-4761-AAA2-49F04F9F23AB.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 105
Not sure if this is a sign but I found over spray on the bottom of my door. Maybe its a good sign I wont have paint peeling from the doors? But, I also ran my fingers on the bottom edge and I felt some areas were smooth and some rough. I've already contact my dealership and a copy of the bulletin that ckwilson73 posted.

Attachments

• IMG-0328.jpg
    IMG-0328.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 126
Not sure if this is a sign but I found over spray on the bottom of my door. Maybe its a good sign I wont have paint peeling from the doors? But, I also ran my fingers on the bottom edge and I felt some areas were smooth and some rough. I've already contact my dealership and a copy of the bulletin that ckwilson73 posted.
mine is the exact same

Most Member Reactions

Back