Paint chipping

My truck is less then 2 weeks old and has started chipping at the corners pretty good. I took it to my dealership and had to argue with the head of their service department that it was paint chipping and not dirt. He spent several minutes trying to rub and scratch the "dirt" away. I insisted that if it was dirt he needed to clean it and show me blue paint underneath. After taking my truck into the back for 10 minutes he came back and admitted it was chipping. He directed me to a repair shop to have it repainted under warranty. He stated factory paint defects were only covered under warranty for the 1st 2000 miles. When I went to the repair shop they gave me a quote but did not recommend doing anything with it until there was some kind of fix for the cause of the chipping. Repainting will only be a short term fix and they thought it was a bad idea to repaint over the factory paint at this time for an issue that is likely to come back.

I'm not sure what my next step should be. I really do not want to have the hood repainted only to have this issue return but also don't want to be past my warranty period and have this be completely my problem.

Any advice on what I should do next?
make him prove the paint is only covered for 2000 miles...i'm not in the know on all the details here but that's the first I've heard of that number and I've had paint warranty done well beyond that mileage by a GM dealer.

I have the same problem, as do many others on the forum, and I'm waiting for a reasonable "fix" before I paint the hood as well. Ultimately, I'm not sure GM will officially release anything (based on what I've heard from the Colorado Zr2 crew that seem to be dealing with a similar problem for longer) but I suspect there will be solid fixes implemented by various paint shops that would be worth implementing. Just my $.02

I already called my dealership about the chipping on my hood and I'm sure they would take care of me, but I would definitely prefer that GM comes out with something before I repaint it. The chipping isn't just in the corners of the scoop for me but actually all around it pretty bad.

I thought the paint warranty was part of the 3 years / 36K bumper to bumper coverage. Is that not accurate?
It is but GM still needs to figure out how to stop it from happening again. There's no guarantee that just having the hood repainted will stop the scoop from chipping the new paint. GM has to come up with a solution that will stop the scoop from touching the paint and chipping it.

It is highly unlikely that GM will pay for more than one hood repaint so it's best to wait until they know how to stop it from happening again.

It is but GM still needs to figure out how to stop it from happening again. There's no guarantee that just having the hood repainted will stop the scoop from chipping the new paint. GM has to come up with a solution that will stop the scoop from touching the paint and chipping it.

It is highly unlikely that GM will pay for more than one hood repaint so it's best to wait until they know how to stop it from happening again.
it does not. i had mine repainted under warranty. checked it out when i picked it up from body shop and it looked perfect. by the time i got back to work literally 5 miles away it had already started to chip in all 4 corners

Gearhead did you see my pic a few pages back? Is that foam gasket from the factory on mine a new thing? The disassembling diagram you posted didn't mention any kind of gasket. I'd grab some more pics but its at the dealership having the Borla and subwoofer installed.

Has anyone noticed chipping around the fender "flares". I noticed toward the bottom on the driver's side rear wheel well very close to/under the trim. I will post pictures tonight, but something for y'all to look into...

I just purchased a 2022 ZR2 last weekend with 5K miles. Build date 4/8/22

It is showing a bit of paint chipping starting in the front corner of the hood insert. I le the dealer know yesterday and gave them the PIT5930 service bulletin with a photo.

I washed my truck last week and noticed the passenger rear door handle paint had started to chip off. I carried it to the dealer and they replaced the handle. Now, the issue is whoever painted it black didn't notice the large run on the handle. To me, the run is more noticeable than the chip in the paint. I will be going back to the dealer again.

Well, it showed up on my new ZR2 this week. I only have 1,200 miles on it and already it is an issue. I am a certified master refinisher from PPG and owned a custom paint shop in Honolulu for 30 years called Cosmic Airbrush. We did all the Harley and many local car dealerships custom work for years. I purchased the truck from a dealership who knows me well and hope I don't have any issues. The service manager is a friend so I'm not too worried.
My opinion is the scoop needs and softening barrier between it and the hood and not paint against paint. I only see metal and not any OM primer in the chips, hmmm. I hope there isn't a new sealer formula they used on these trucks that not getting a good bite to the metal?

Attachments

• tempImagegNOlkV.png
    tempImagegNOlkV.png
    449.4 KB · Views: 79
  • tempImagehenFR7.png
    tempImagehenFR7.png
    448.5 KB · Views: 79
  • tempImagev95dCL.png
    tempImagev95dCL.png
    510.5 KB · Views: 80
Well, it showed up on my new ZR2 this week. I only have 1,200 miles on it and already it is an issue. I am a certified master refinisher from PPG and owned a custom paint shop in Honolulu for 30 years called Cosmic Airbrush. We did all the Harley and many local car dealerships custom work for years. I purchased the truck from a dealership who knows me well and hope I don't have any issues. The service manager is a friend so I'm not too worried.
My opinion is the scoop needs and softening barrier between it and the hood and not paint against paint. I only see metal and not any OM primer in the chips, hmmm. I hope there isn't a new sealer formula they used on these trucks that not getting a good bite to the metal?
They have a soft layer between the hood and scoop(at least mine does) but it's not enough. It's almost as if the foam barrier is too soft and doesn't keep the scoop off of the paint enough when it's tight.

They have a soft layer between the hood and scoop(at least mine does) but it's not enough. It's almost as if the foam barrier is too soft and doesn't keep the scoop off of the paint enough when it's tight.
Dealer's body shop yesterday told me that there's a gasket in there, but that it's "misaligned", so it doesn't keep the two parts from contacting one another. Said they fixed one last week. No idea how true that is - bummer is that once the hood is fixed, I'll have to get the ceramic and PPF redone.

I just purchased a 2022 ZR2 last weekend with 5K miles. Build date 4/8/22

It is showing a bit of paint chipping starting in the front corner of the hood insert. I le the dealer know yesterday and gave them the PIT5930 service bulletin with a photo.
Is PIT 5930 the official service bulletin? I saw it mentioned a while back, but I've never seen anyone confirm if that's what we should be pointing to or not.

I contacted my original dealership this week to discuss the paint chipping on the hood again. FWIW they contacted GM, and was told the engineers are well aware of the paint issues, but have not settled on a solution yet. The contact at my dealership advised me to check in every 4 months or so. I will probably just watch closely here and then check with him quarterly. I think with all of us keeping our eyes and ears open we will hear about the fix when it is issued.

Anyone else notice paint chipped off around the hood insert? I have paint that flaked off on both front corners of the hood insert
Just bought a brand new 2022 ZR2 and 3 days later I discover the paint around the hood piece is peeling! WTF ??!!? I’m seriously thinking about seeing if the dealer will just take it back and swap out for a High Country. I be damned if they are going to paint a new truck. Build date on my truck was 7-22

Attachments

• 3ABA8B02-0BDB-4F60-B9F2-AA77E11F3799.jpeg
    3ABA8B02-0BDB-4F60-B9F2-AA77E11F3799.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 191FB4A1-0C80-4B5E-A5BA-27C327F7FC6A.jpeg
    191FB4A1-0C80-4B5E-A5BA-27C327F7FC6A.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 70
  • C95E7DAE-6936-4E75-8D28-32C523B8B7B2.jpeg
    C95E7DAE-6936-4E75-8D28-32C523B8B7B2.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 4CD5FB0A-1FB3-4E43-9BC2-B766BD10BA70.jpeg
    4CD5FB0A-1FB3-4E43-9BC2-B766BD10BA70.jpeg