Under hood lighting mod can't believe it doesn't come stock lol

Wildturkey707

Reaction score
I can't believe that for roughly $85,000 out the door we don't get any lighting under the hood? I thought this was crazy anyway wanted to share what I did and ask others what they have done. This is a $15 LED light strip with hoodpin combo. Have about 1,000 mile on it still working and holding strong.

Attachments

• Hoodpin 2.jpg
    Hoodpin 2.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 194
  • Hoodpin 3.jpg
    Hoodpin 3.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Hoodpin.jpg
    Hoodpin.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 161
  • LED Underhood 2.jpg
    LED Underhood 2.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 164
  • LED Underhood.jpg
    LED Underhood.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 163
I can't believe that for roughly $85,000 out the door we don't get any lighting under the hood? I thought this was crazy anyway wanted to share what I did and ask others what they have done. This is a $15 LED light strip with hoodpin combo. Have about 1,000 mile on it still working and holding strong.
frickin beautiful. nice job.

Very nice job there! Im gonna look to get this now! Thanks!

Can you throw a tape measure next to the hoodpin so I can get an idea how high to adjust it?!
Mine showed up today!

Can you throw a tape measure next to the hoodpin so I can get an idea how high to adjust it?!
Mine showed up today!
Looks like an 1-3/4" from the shelf it is nice that stock there is a spot for the hoodpin so no drilling required.

Attachments

• PXL_20230529_212942887.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230529_212942887.MP.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20230529_212956651.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230529_212956651.MP.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 38
Don't get me wrong, I'm partial to Chevys. My first truck was a C10 Custom Deluxe. But chevy is pretty notorious for cheaping out on odd and ends. Several years ago I went from a Titan to a Tundra, then went to a Chevy Duramax. I loved my Duramax and I kept it a while. But week one of driving it I noticed all the little things like this that my Titan and Tundra had. Chevy had no light under the hood, No light in the glove box, Cup holders weren't great and no lights there either. No charging ports in the back seat. No cabin air filter. Only had a 7way plug on the bumper so any trailer with a 4 way I had to use an adapter. Which the 7way only is actually the same even with the ZR2 lol. They do better now and seem to have most features. But simple little things like lighting, they seem to skimp on. I mean Our reverse lights and tag lights weren't even LED. I'm sure it is the bean counters fault. But the simple small things that other brands are doing at the time, chevy always seems to fall short on.

That looks slick! I have one of these I'm going to install. What do they throw away good ideas....?

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I'm partial to Chevys. My first truck was a C10 Custom Deluxe. But chevy is pretty notorious for cheaping out on odd and ends. Several years ago I went from a Titan to a Tundra, then went to a Chevy Duramax. I loved my Duramax and I kept it a while. But week one of driving it I noticed all the little things like this that my Titan and Tundra had. Chevy had no light under the hood, No light in the glove box, Cup holders weren't great and no lights there either. No charging ports in the back seat. No cabin air filter. Only had a 7way plug on the bumper so any trailer with a 4 way I had to use an adapter. Which the 7way only is actually the same even with the ZR2 lol. They do better now and seem to have most features. But simple little things like lighting, they seem to skimp on. I mean Our reverse lights and tag lights weren't even LED. I'm sure it is the bean counters fault. But the simple small things that other brands are doing at the time, chevy always seems to fall short on.
I think those other brands have a more all or nothing when it comes to options. They are not a heavy player in supplying work or fleet trucks so they dont have to 'tier' certain options within certain trims. Which sucks for us because every option is then an add on and can increase the price rather than just being included in the trim you want. My last truck was a loaded '17 LTZ and I hated that the lumbar didn't move vertically up the back of the seat. My friends '17 High Country did though. How different is a HC from a loaded LTZ; like 3 or 4 options and the badge on the door maybe? Maybe it was an option on the LTZ's and just I missed it, but why; just include something like that when you're spending that kind of money. Like you said, the little things they seem to skimp on..

Something that also bugs me as well about GM, while on the topic, and this may be another sticking point when it comes to option's, is their stubbornness to not upgrade their current gen trucks with new options and tech. They instead wait for the next gen to roll everything out instead of slowly integrating new options year after year giving a nice refresh. This may be changing with the newer gens, but I always noticed that with the past generations.

I think those other brands have a more all or nothing when it comes to options. They are not a heavy player in supplying work or fleet trucks so they dont have to 'tier' certain options within certain trims. Which sucks for us because every option is then an add on and can increase the price rather than just being included in the trim you want. My last truck was a loaded '17 LTZ and I hated that the lumbar didn't move vertically up the back of the seat. My friends '17 High Country did though. How different is a HC from a loaded LTZ; like 3 or 4 options and the badge on the door maybe? Maybe it was an option on the LTZ's and just I missed it, but why; just include something like that when you're spending that kind of money. Like you said, the little things they seem to skimp on..

Something that also bugs me as well about GM, while on the topic, and this may be another sticking point when it comes to option's, is their stubbornness to not upgrade their current gen trucks with new options and tech. They instead wait for the next gen to roll everything out instead of slowly integrating new options year after year giving a nice refresh. This may be changing with the newer gens, but I always noticed that with the past generations.
i always said my first Sierra 1500 SLT premium plus was like an unbadged Denali. i finally traded up and yup..almost same truck. Denali had magnet ride. SLT didnt.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back