What antenna is used for the trucks data?

dw886

Reaction score
I consistently only have 1 bar on the 4G LTE logo on the top of the screen.

When using voice to text, it rarely captures what I'm saying, and when I get an incoming text message they will rarely play.

Today when trying to play an incoming message, the system said that the current connection wasn't fast enough or something to that extent which is making me wonder if I have a loose connection somewhere.

I replaced the radio antenna with a shorter variant from Amazon (not the solid metal version, but like a 10" that's still supposed to work as an antenna) , and I'm now wondering if it's that antenna or the one on the roof that is used for the cellular connection...

I would not be surprised if the antenna itself wasn’t plugged in.

I consistently only have 1 bar on the 4G LTE logo on the top of the screen.

When using voice to text, it rarely captures what I'm saying, and when I get an incoming text message they will rarely play.

Today when trying to play an incoming message, the system said that the current connection wasn't fast enough or something to that extent which is making me wonder if I have a loose connection somewhere.

I replaced the radio antenna with a shorter variant from Amazon (not the solid metal version, but like a 10" that's still supposed to work as an antenna) , and I'm now wondering if it's that antenna or the one on the roof that is used for the cellular connection...
The antenna on the cowl is AM/FM.

The “shark fin” is digital/satellite/cellular.

Also keep in mind that “4G LTE” is approaching 13 years old now. Data rates are directly tied to the cellular modem and antenna design. MIMO is not likely integrated into the system.

Most automotive systems trail modern smartphone performance by 5 years. The SOC in the new system is extremely underpowered for what it asks of it.

Last edited:
So am I chasing a red herring? It seems like when I use things that require data (like Spotify streaming, or voice commands that are being translated to text via the internet) things come to a grinding hault. Maybe that's the norm for the new Android system and Global B, or maybe it's my data connection. Just trying to understand how to tell.

Another observation, I rarely get speed limit signs (I know this was reported that these go away after the trial data plan expires after you subscribe, but I'm still in the honeymoon period about 2 weeks post-delivery), even when on interstate.

Have your dealer check your connections. This sounds like it’s a wiring issue.

If you’re on any interstate in this country you should have decent cell signal. Since you don’t have it anywhere you need to look more at the vehicle.

Most Member Reactions

Back