Air Lift Super Duty Bags Installed

Axe, I assume you went with the single/unified compressor setup. I already purchased the same, but have not installed mine. Today I picked up 900 square feet of flooring (no idea on the weight”, squatted about 6”, forklift operator looked like his meth tank was running low, I was sweating. I definitely experienced some decent body roll on the way home, wondering if the dual control might not be the way to go. I was driving like a “gentleman “

Reactions: AXE
I tow horse trailers, boat trailers, tractors/ag, and campers. Put the cap on so my lady can’t make me buy a 5th wheel/goose neck trailer😉….she will probably figure a workaround

Yeah, this suspension is great for daily driving and light loads, butt it needs help over 8k.

Yes I just did the single unit. It wasn't much more for the other option.

I tow 12 to 15k, but it's usually even loads like my toyhauler, small dump trailer, and a couple skid steers and a mini x. They tow pretty nice with bags. If I was hauling something heavier and random uneven loads I would definitely get the dual unit.

Yeah, this suspension is great for daily driving and light loads, butt it needs help over 8k.

Yes I just did the single unit. It wasn't much more for the other option.

I tow 12 to 15k, but it's usually even loads like my toyhauler, small dump trailer, and a couple skid steers and a mini x. They tow pretty nice with bags. If I was hauling something heavier and random uneven loads I would definitely get the dual unit.
I have another rig that could use the single unit, definitely think the Zr2 could use the dual. Going diamond mining in Arkansas end of May, don’t need to bounce and role for 15 hours, with a stupid big camper.

Side note, this truck is the absolute best ride/handling HD that has ever been conceived, not without its caveats though.
Yeah it's pretty damn impressive. I get a lot of people stopping and asking me about it. I pulled into a parking lot today and a guy asked me if it was a diesel. I said yes and his response was "you can't even hear it running".

My main beef with it is the 40 pieces of plastic they have added to the exterior of the damn thing. By my math that's 34 more than my 2015 and 38 more than 2005.

Yeah it's pretty damn impressive. I get a lot of people stopping and asking me about it. I pulled into a parking lot today and a guy asked me if it was a diesel. I said yes and his response was "you can't even hear it running".

My main beef with it is the 40 pieces of plastic they have added to the exterior of the damn thing. By my math that's 34 more than my 2015 and 38 more than 2005.
I know you have the Bison, how do the plastic parts quantities equate to the “commoner’s Zr2”?

I know you have the Bison, how do the plastic parts quantities equate to the “commoner’s Zr2”?
Probably a little less, but I didn't look that close. There's 12 pieces on the front and 10 on the back bumper for Bison. I think the standard has at least 3 on the rear for the top and steps. Front has some around the tow hooks and lights.

I'm battling the trim pieces on the bumper to get aux lights installed. Ended up getting the rears to look okay, fronts are giving me headaches. The plastic light bezels are just odd shapes and not sized right for industry standard lights.

Have the bags and single unit compressor installed, install sucked in my stone car port(pole barns are full of boats and lady stuff), been raining and blowing here. Anyway, not sure if they will last long term, seem to extend a tad further than might be intended. Ride at 5 psi appears to be unchanged.

Axe, you mentioned Daystar earlier, probably a good option. Need to do the math between the added ZR2 composite bump stop, actual Zr2 travel, and what these bags were intended for.

Axe, you had mentioned the zinc plated cups, apparently there are several different kits you can order. The first is zinc, followed by black powder coat, and finally stainless. The stainless kit also comes with stainless shrouded airlines, which look like a pointless pain in the ass, but the cups would make me happy.

Finally, they have a couple upgrade kits that just come with upgraded stainless cups and/or lines.

I was originally going to use the Daystar cradles, cause I've used them on previous lifted trucks. I decided mine had just enough stretch left in them to run without the cradles. I thought cradles would take up too much slack and stiffen the 5 psi ride since you'd already be compressing bags a bit. Could go either way and might require some testing to prove it out.

I painted my zinc caps. Wish I would have powder coated them.

I was originally going to use the Daystar cradles, cause I've used them on previous lifted trucks. I decided mine had just enough stretch left in them to run without the cradles. I thought cradles would take up too much slack and stiffen the 5 psi ride since you'd already be compressing bags a bit. Could go either way and might require some testing to prove it out.

I painted my zinc caps. Wish I would have powder coated them.
We will see, going to be towing some random oversized equipment this week. Don’t get me wrong, this truck can do it. Squat, however, is a pain in the ass. I would imagine that this suspension would be a prime candidate for AirLift

I've always thought they were the best brand and never had leaks or issues. Also like their compressors and remotes. I've had two sets on two different trucks for 10 years each. That's a pretty good run. I've got two sets on two other trucks now, so we'll see how it goes.

If I recall back 22 years ago when I did my first set of bags, the Firestones were prone to leaking. Not sure what the reviews are now.
Thanks for your initial install pics and info. Very helpful. I installed the same bags except I have the independent wireless air setup with the external tank. I was able to squeeze the bags in place (large zip ties) without using the floor jack, just took a little time. Air tank and pump in place (all along passenger frame rail). Need to install controller bracket, wiring, and air tubing next. So far so good. I'll drop the spare for the air line tubing. Need to figure out a good spot for the manual fill schrader valves (2). The nice thing with this setup is having a port to attach an air hose to air up truck and rv tires (with extension). Hope to have everything finished and working in a week or so to prepare for an April RV trip to Texas for the eclipse. Then end of april I pick up a Hawk pop up camper in CA.

Anyone using a rear sway bar on these trucks? It was odd to see there isn't one but then I previously had a RAM 2500 with rear coils.

Thanks for your initial install pics and info. Very helpful. I installed the same bags except I have the independent wireless air setup with the external tank. I was able to squeeze the bags in place (large zip ties) without using the floor jack, just took a little time. Air tank and pump in place (all along passenger frame rail). Need to install controller bracket, wiring, and air tubing next. So far so good. I'll drop the spare for the air line tubing. Need to figure out a good spot for the manual fill schrader valves (2). The nice thing with this setup is having a port to attach an air hose to air up truck and rv tires (with extension). Hope to have everything finished and working in a week or so to prepare for an April RV trip to Texas for the eclipse. Then end of april I pick up a Hawk pop up camper in CA.

Anyone using a rear sway bar on these trucks? It was odd to see there isn't one but then I previously had a RAM 2500 with rear coils.
I've usually spliced in my manuual valve somewhere near the compressor. It's still easy to access and you don't have more line to run. I see some other people run it out the back, but there isn't obvious spots that are much better.

Last edited:
~5k on the bags, absolute must for the ZR2 if you do distance hauling. Feels like my dually, when set right. Best of all worlds. Lost the aluminum exhaust heat shield at some point, maybe I went too tight on the hose clamps….

I'm just curious how does it ride unladen with the few psi in the bags?
Seems the same. If you really wanted to run 0 psi, you could pull the fuse or the battery on the remote. Drain the line with the manual valve. They recommend 5 psi, so the remote defaults to that so the bags don't collapse on themselves or buckle and crack.

I've done several trips now with my utility trailer and now my boat. The bags do a good job of keeping the truck close to level and maintain a comfortable ride.

What I've found different with these bags is the fact that I run quite a bit less air than my previous lifted 2500HD. I think that is due to a more progressive rear spring and less distance between the frame and axle.

With just the standard 5 psi in the bags I get about 1.5 inches of sag. 10 psi, about 3/4 inch and 15 psi about level. 5 psi leaves too much bounce in the rear, 10 psi is better, and 15psi is a little stiff. I end up using about 12 psi and it rides perfect and has about 1/2 inch sag. It's nice to be able to make those micro adjustments to dial it in just right.

Still haven't towed heavy, so I'll have to see how it goes.

Attachments

• 20240419_172817.jpg
    20240419_172817.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I've done several trips now with my utility trailer and now my boat. The bags do a good job of keeping the truck close to level and maintain a comfortable ride.

What I've found different with these bags is the fact that I run quite a bit less air than my previous lifted 2500HD. I think that is due to a more progressive rear spring and less distance between the frame and axle.

With just the standard 5 psi in the bags I get about 1.5 inches of sag. 10 psi, about 3/4 inch and 15 psi about level. 5 psi leaves too much bounce in the rear, 10 psi is better, and 15psi is a little stiff. I end up using about 12 psi and it rides perfect and has about 1/2 inch sag. It's nice to be able to make those micro adjustments to dial it in just right.

Still haven't towed heavy, so I'll have to see how it goes.
Good update.

For comparison, we just towed shy of 8k lbs. with a hitch weight of an estimated 1100 lbs. for ~2800 miles. First shot with the bags (full auto air setup). Same experience with 5psi and no load - don't really notice a difference between this and no bags, maybe "slightly" stiffer but still an incredibly smooth ride. Most of the tow I used 10 PSI in the bags along with a WD hitch which brought us very close to level with a very smooth ride. Still fine tuning the WD and bags for this setup (Propride Hitch, Airstream 28) but I would call the trip a success with the bags. Soon I'll have a light camper in the bed so a few more adjustments will be needed when towing the trailer with camper installed. I did order a Hellwig rear sway bar so I'll experiment with that as well. So, thus far very pleased with the 5k bags and full auto controller with tank.

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back