Borla 400844 Atak Crate Muffler

securityguy

Reaction score
Anyone install this on the latest gen Silverado? I have a new 2023 ZR2 and want to bump up the sound. Found this after a lot of research since I don't want a CAT-BACK...just a muffler replace. Not interested in straight piping it. Sells for around $270 and Borla makes awesome products. Anyone done this and thoughts on this muffler or a recommendation for another high quality muffler?

Thanks!

Anyone install this on the latest gen Silverado? I have a new 2023 ZR2 and want to bump up the sound. Found this after a lot of research since I don't want a CAT-BACK...just a muffler replace. Not interested in straight piping it. Sells for around $270 and Borla makes awesome products. Anyone done this and thoughts on this muffler or a recommendation for another high quality muffler?

Thanks!
This guy did exactly that.

Thanks...I did see this already, but was hoping a few forum members may have done it or had others they would recommend. I appreciate you posting this!
I just got my 2023 ZR2 and I actually ordered this Borla muffler. I wanted better sound too, without drone and not cost $1800+. It should be here next week. I'll let you know how it turns out

Last edited:
I just got my 2023 ZR2 and I actually ordered this Borla muffler. I wanted better sound too, without drone and not cost $1800+. It should be here next week. I'll you know how it turns out
Looking forward to your thoughts. Where did you order it from?

Got it on Amazon for $270
That's the cheapest I saw it to. I have an Amazon Chase Card and get another 5% off so, maybe I'll just pull the trigger now since I can return it for free if you decide it's too loud or don't like it.

Thanks!
I installed mine about a week ago. Sounds much deeper and gave it some volume. I like it so far.

I’m digging around for a Borla part number for the Touring and Type S muffler only options, anyone have those numbers by chance? I think the ATAK may be a bit too much for my needs.

I’m digging around for a Borla part number for the Touring and Type S muffler only options, anyone have those numbers by chance? I think the ATAK may be a bit too much for my needs.
If you leave the OEM resonators on, I think you will find it to be just right based on what I have heard on a few YouTube videos.

It's all right on Borla's website. The crate muffler for the Type S is 400843

ATAK:

There is no crate muffler for the Touring.

ATAK:

I was looking for the Touring mainly and couldn’t find it, so it actually wasn’t on the Borla site (I had at least looked before asking 😅)…I didn’t realize they simply didn’t offer it, just thought I was missing something. I knew the ATAK, thanks for the Type S confirmation

ATAK:

Ahhhh, I see where it says on the Type S to add a specific resonator to get the Touring performance , makes sense now, appreciate the insights. I’ve been a duramax guy since ‘05 which was a bit more simple when it came to exhaust…I.e downpipe back 4” 😅

Ahhhh, I see where it says on the Type S to add a specific resonator to get the Touring performance , makes sense now, appreciate the insights. I’ve been a duramax guy since ‘05 which was a bit more simple when it came to exhaust…I.e downpipe back 4” 😅
Don't lose sight of the fact that, if you leave the factory resonators on, which is recommended so you don't get drone, putting an ATAK crate muffler on will be more like a cross between a Touring and a Type S. May be slanted more towards the Type S, but it will not be as loud as a CAT-BACK ATAK.

Don't lose sight of the fact that, if you leave the factory resonators on, which is recommended so you don't get drone, putting an ATAK crate muffler on will be more like a cross between a Touring and a Type S. May be slanted more towards the Type S, but it will not be as loud as a CAT-BACK ATAK.
100% making more sense now, appreciate all the insights.

Look what just came today :D

Borla ATAK.jpg

I have that same one on mine. Had it put on the day after I bought the truck and I'm over 7k miles now. I left everything in but the flapper. I'm very happy with it. Paid a welding shop 100 bucks weld it in. They cut the old muffler and flapper out. Added some pipe and welded it all in. I'd say go for it. Replacing everything with a clamp together cat back for 1800 on a new truck seems silly to me.
20220818_105936.jpg

I have that same one on mine. Had it put on the day after I bought the truck and I'm over 7k miles now. I left everything in but the flapper. I'm very happy with it. Paid a welding shop 100 bucks weld it in. They cut the old muffler and flapper out. Added some pipe and welded it all in. I'd say go for it. Replacing everything with a clamp together cat back for 1800 on a new truck seems silly to me.
View attachment 1470
Totally agree with you. I'm taking her in next week to have the OEM muffler and flapper cut-out and the ATAK installed. $80 out the door all welded in place. Totally investment is under $360 :)

Most Member Reactions

Back