Borla 400844 Atak Crate Muffler

Stupid question, what is the flapper? what is its purpose?
From what I understand it's for the cylinder deactivation feature. Basically to help with sound when the v8 turns into a v something else lol. With aftermarket exhaust it doesn't help much and the muffler shop said they get people in their shop all the time with couple year old vehicles complaining about exhaust rattles or sqeaks. 9 out of 10 times it's the flapper after it gets dirty and corroded. Basically it causes more trouble then it's worth. Kind of like DFM 😅

I was thinking the thing. I was going to go for the AWE (I have it on my Corvette GS) he’s an amazing exhaust and loud as hell. The ZR2 is my daily driver and I would like a good sound but not as loud as the AWE. Plus the AWE is $2400, I only paid $900 for my Vette exhaust which was technically a muffler delete.

The reason why I like AWE exhaust on the ZR2 is due to the tips, I like to see the exhaust tips on the back of the truck. If I went with a Borla muffler, would an exhaust shop be able to weld in some outlet tips? Sounds like a stupid question but just wondering. If that’s the case I’ll probably go that route.

I was thinking the thing. I was going to go for the AWE (I have it on my Corvette GS) he’s an amazing exhaust and loud as hell. The ZR2 is my daily driver and I would like a good sound but not as loud as the AWE. Plus the AWE is $2400, I only paid $900 for my Vette exhaust which was technically a muffler delete.

The reason why I like AWE exhaust on the ZR2 is due to the tips, I like to see the exhaust tips on the back of the truck. If I went with a Borla muffler, would an exhaust shop be able to weld in some outlet tips? Sounds like a stupid question but just wondering. If that’s the case I’ll probably go that route.
Any good shop could easily weld some nice tips onto your tail pipes without issue. If you can buy a crate muffler for under $300, and REALLY nice tips for $100-$200, to me it's a no brainer as the $2400 Cat-Back will not perform any better than the $300 crate muffler. Even a Borla Cat-Back at $1500-$2000 is no different. The "sound" may be a bit different, but performance will be about the same. I have installed black ceramic coated tips on my last truck and they looked amazing. Might do the same here in the spring.

Any good shop could easily weld some nice tips onto your tail pipes without issue. If you can buy a crate muffler for under $300, and REALLY nice tips for $100-$200, to me it's a no brainer as the $2400 Cat-Back will not perform any better than the $300 crate muffler. Even a Borla Cat-Back at $1500-$2000 is no different. The "sound" may be a bit different, but performance will be about the same. I have installed black ceramic coated tips on my last truck and they looked amazing. Might do the same here in the spring.
I agree, I’m going to check with my exhaust shop and see what they say. I’d rather go that route, I love AWE but just think it’s too loud for a daily plus the cost is insane for what it is.

Stupid question, what is the flapper? what is its purpose?
Spring loaded flapper valve right before the muffler.

Picture your intake manifold, but on the 3" pipe right before your muffler.

Pressure actuated, it keeps it nice and quiet for your "Karen" type neighbours, and works actively during DFM modes to control done/frequency to keep the cabin quiet.

check it out:

R I G

FINALLY got the Borla S-Type installed today :D After a few members went the ATAK route and stated it was just too loud, I decided to take their advice and returned it and bought the S-Type. Very happy I did as the S-Type will make some noise if you get on her, but sounds great at start and cruising. I had the shop cut out the OEM and the flapper and weld in a piece of stainless T304 to make up the difference. The OEM resonators were left in place. Great shop that does excellent quality work!

ZR2 Borla.jpg

Last edited:
FINALLY got the Borla S-Type installed today :D After a few members went the ATAK route and stated it was just too loud, I decided to take their advice and returned it and bought the S-Type. Very happy I did as the S-Type will make some noise if you get on her but sounds great at start and cruising. I had them shop cut out the OEM and the flapper and weld in a piece of stainless T304 to make up the difference. The OEM resonators were left in place. Great shop that does excellent quality work!

View attachment 1629
I actually took your advice and ordered the Borla muffler and Borla exhaust tips over getting the $2300 AWE. Should be in the end of this week or next.

Im on the fence in regards to removing the resonators or not.

I actually took your advice and ordered the Borla muffler and Borla exhaust tips over getting the $2300 AWE. Should be in the end of this week or next.

Sounds like a plan! My advice...do NOT remove the resonators until you drive it for a bit. Then decide if you want it louder. Let it "break in" first. I can tell you this...if I had the resonators removed...I would have driven down the street, made a U-Turn, and asked that they be reinstalled. Give it a while and then decide.

Nice!

Best Solution for our trucks right now. Looks great. Welds look clean as well!

We need a cold start! I want to hear the difference between the ATAK and S-TYPE!

Where did you buy the tips? I love the Borla exhaust tips and would like to see them just poking out from under the bumper.

I'm probably never taking this truck rock climbing, even when we travel out west, so I'm not worried about clearance.

Where did you buy the tips? I love the Borla exhaust tips and would like to see them just poking out from under the bumper.

I'm probably never taking this truck rock climbing, even when we travel out west, so I'm not worried about clearance.
I got the single black Borla exhaust tips off Amazon, cost about $90 each.

They have beautiful quad carbon fiber ones but they want close to a grand just for exhaust tips….😂

plus I think a single dual exhaust tip looks better on these trucks versus the quad

I got the single black Borla exhaust tips off Amazon, cost about $90 each.

They have beautiful quad carbon fiber ones but they want close to a grand just for exhaust tips….😂

plus I think a single dual exhaust tip looks better on these trucks versus the quad
Amazon link please?

Nice!

Best Solution for our trucks right now. Looks great. Welds look clean as well!

We need a cold start! I want to hear the difference between the ATAK and S-TYPE!
Hey, new to the forums. My wife and I both have Silverados, She has the RST and I have the ZR2. She's rocking the Borla S-type and I have the Atak. I went with the cat-back. I can tell you that on cold starts, the Atak can get pretty loud. But it tapers off in roughly under a minute to a mild tone. The S-type and Atak sound very similar when it tones down on idle. Driving? The S-type and Atak have absolutely no drone, but I can definitely hear the Atak more than the S-type. The times I had to WOT, you can for sure here them then. I like them both. I don't think the Atak is too loud at all. No annoying drone at all. Just during a cold start and what time you fire it up might be annoying to the neighbors. IDC. However, I did notice that driving on normal drive, and the DFM (or whatever it's called) kicks in, it sounds like doodoo. So, I just drive in L9 and keep it in V8 the entire time. Accelerations and the down shifting sound better.

Just got the GM performance Borla installed yesterday as my brother works at my local dealer and got me a great deal installed. It's exactly what I wanted nothing too loud but sounds great when you start it up and when you step on it. How the truck should of came from the factory in my opinion.

Do you guys get a gurgle on downshift from the last few gears when you get to close to a stop? I was wondering if that's the flapper valve or just the nature of these engines.

Just got the GM performance Borla installed yesterday as my brother works at my local dealer and got me a great deal installed. It's exactly what I wanted nothing too loud but sounds great when you start it up and when you step on it. How the truck should of came from the factory in my opinion.

Do you guys get a gurgle on downshift from the last few gears when you get to close to a stop? I was wondering if that's the flapper valve or just the nature of these engines.
You should have no flapper valve on the Borla set-up.

Any regrets on the Borla s-type crate muffler ? I’m Ready to have one installed this week.

I would do it again.

I’m getting a resonator added to tone it down a bit (mainly for neighborhood cold starts and the wife) but that’s the beauty of this option. It gives you a good sound and flexibility to tune it into your preferences at less cost.

Any regrets on the Borla s-type crate muffler ? I’m Ready to have one installed this week.
I don't at all. Loving the nice rumble at cold start and the mild sound while driving around town and then the louder "get up and go" rumble when you hit the accelerator to speed up or pass a vehicle. Just don't take off the factory resonators.

Most Member Reactions

Back