Chevy Performance Exhaust

ZR2EDDYB

Reaction score
This might be sacrilege… but I am looking to quiet down the Chevy Performance exhaust I just installed. I have a newborn on the way and I’m almost sure I’ll leave my wife with a crying baby every time I leave for work.

I am hoping to simply swap out the muffler for a more touring type. Any recommendations?

Wrapping the muffler in header wrap will help with drone a bit, but thats about it

Wrapping the muffler in header wrap will help with drone a bit, but thats about it

There really is no drone. It just sounds like it has a muffler with holes drilled in it at start-up. I’m sure the neighbors love me.

This might be sacrilege… but I am looking to quiet down the Chevy Performance exhaust I just installed. I have a newborn on the way and I’m almost sure I’ll leave my wife with a crying baby every time I leave for work.

I am hoping to simply swap out the muffler for a more touring type. Any recommendations?
i had the GM Borla kit installed. i called Borla and they said the touring muffler came with the kit. im doubting that. on startup its like an M80 but after 20 seconds its ok. i called them yesterday and they said it was most likely an S type. she is calling me back today. also told me they were getting lots of calls about the db level and they are aware if it. maybe a new front pipe in the works to quiet down. i love the warmed up tone but want something in the middle. stock exhaust is anemic.

My loud exhaust days are behind me….love the sound of my stock exhaust!

So did you have the exhaust installed by the dealer? Do you or they have the original exhaust? Maybe you go back to original for a year or two….

i had the GM Borla kit installed. i called Borla and they said the touring muffler came with the kit. im doubting that. on startup its like an M80 but after 20 seconds its ok. i called them yesterday and they said it was most likely an S type. she is calling me back today. also told me they were getting lots of calls about the db level and they are aware if it. maybe a new front pipe in the works to quiet down. i love the warmed up tone but want something in the middle. stock exhaust is anemic.
I bought the GM Performance directly from Chevrolet and installed myself. It is most definitely exactly the same as the Borla S-type as it came with a smaller muffler and resonator. The touring comes with one larger muffler.

My exhaust came in a Borla box with a Chevrolet sticker on it.

I bought the GM Performance directly from Chevrolet and installed myself. It is most definitely exactly the same as the Borla S-type as it came with a smaller muffler and resonator. The touring comes with one larger muffler.

My exhaust came in a Borla box with a Chevrolet sticker

My loud exhaust days are behind me….love the sound of my stock exhaust!

So did you have the exhaust installed by the dealer? Do you or they have the original exhaust? Maybe you go back to original for a year or two….
You are instructed to cut the exhaust when removing the stock until. I cut a few more times for ease of removal.

i purchased from dealer and they installed...kit was $1700 and $135 install. i think i was given wrong info on my first call to Borla/ touring muffler. dont get me wrong, i like it but it needs some tinkering. im waiting for a call back from Borla. fyi, when i looked under truck i noticed the muffler and res...said uh oh!!!

Reactions: AXE
You will have to order a new front pipe from Borla And the touring muffler. It will bolt up to the rest of the catback. Otherwise you are cutting and welding.

I attached the part number list directly from the touring version of the ZR2 catback.

Attachments

• CD9351AC-4614-4073-9DD5-9CCAC9138715.png
    CD9351AC-4614-4073-9DD5-9CCAC9138715.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 91

Man. I got the same kit. I find it super quiet. Loud on start up but too quiet driving down the road. Paid 3000 bucks for just a little bit louder then stock.

Man. I got the same kit. I find it super quiet. Loud on start up but too quiet driving down the road. Paid 3000 bucks for just a little bit louder then stock.
Here’s the gm part number( Exhaust system part # 87816783). Mine only has a muffler on it. No other resonators that I can see

Here’s the gm part number( Exhaust system part # 87816783). Mine only has a muffler on it. No other resonators that I can see
That is the Borla Touring system. It’s been rebadged by GM. The other part number is the S-Type kit.

They are absolutely identical to the equivalent Borla systems minus the part number.

The one you bought is designed exactly to be how you are describing.

You will have to order a new front pipe from Borla And the touring muffler. It will bolt up to the rest of the catback. Otherwise you are cutting and welding.

I attached the part number list directly from the touring version of the ZR2 catback.
great info. thanks.

That is the Borla Touring system. It’s been rebadged by GM. The other part number is the S-Type kit.

They are absolutely identical to the equivalent Borla systems minus the part number.

Thank you. Awesome advice. !!

$3,000? Did you get the gold plated version?

Any idea what I’d need to do to make it into the Atak system? Front pipe and atak muffler ???

Any idea what I’d need to do to make it into the Atak system? Front pipe and atak muffler ???
The atak system is the same as the S Type minus the resonator.

Borla sells the replacement part. They call it a “polyphonic harmonizer”

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back