Magnaflow 19543 Exhaust Installed

AXE

Reaction score
Installed the Magnaflow 19543 exhaust system. It really sounds great. Not loud on startup, sounds great running through the gears (especially manual 1-5 and tow/haul mode), easy install, excellent materials and craftsmanship, low cost at $528 delivered in 2.5 days from Hottexhaust.com. I believe that is a Magnaflow company. Not much drive time, but I can recommend this one

Last edited:
Here are a few pictures of parts and install. Really a nice quality system and fairly easy to install.

Attachments

• 20230810_091813.jpg
    20230810_091813.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 20230810_101201.jpg
    20230810_101201.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 20230810_101209.jpg
    20230810_101209.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 20230810_101246.jpg
    20230810_101246.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 175
Here are some sound clips! I hate to even post these cause it sounds so much better in person. These phones just don't capture the sound accurately. They do sound better on a speaker with some bass.

Attachments

• 20230810_101331.mp4
    11.2 MB
  • 20230810_101556.mp4
    20.3 MB
Last edited:
Here's a couple clips after I cut the stock exhaust out. In fact, with a straight pipe by Magnaflow or AWE, this sounds petty damn good. I didn't think too loud and Hella growl. If you like being a little more aggressive or anti social it's a $100 part.

Attachments

• 20230810_085444.mp4
    15.3 MB
  • 20230810_085654.mp4
    14 MB
I ran a few miles on the highway between 55 and 75 mph. My sound meter was about the same at 75 to 77 dB cruising. A hair louder going up hill. You can definitely hear the exhaust more in the rear cabin. Not what I would call a drone, but just steady exhaust. I thing it's the DFM in auto mode causing it. When you run gears 7-9 and in tow/haul, it sounds about normal.

She livens up rolling on and off taking off from a light in 2-4 gear. I used to hate stop lights, now I hope for one.

Last edited:
Start up/idle dBs on my meter vs stock.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230810_101452_Sound Meter.jpg
    Screenshot_20230810_101452_Sound Meter.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_20230809_113142_Sound Meter.jpg
    Screenshot_20230809_113142_Sound Meter.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 60
Play this on your truck speakers, it actually sounds pretty close to if you were sitting in there....... basically, I'm like AI.......LMFAO.

Love mine 😎
Do you notice any early transmission shifting when in auto mode. I feel like it sometimes short shifts. I don't notice it in manual mode.

Seems like the transmission is "learning" with the modification made due to increased exhaust flow. I know with any tuning charges made in the Duramax Allison transmission requires some driving before the shift points are optimized. Is this a "smart" transmission?

Last edited:
Do you notice any early transmission shifting when in auto mode. I feel like it sometimes short shifts. I don't notice it in manual mode.

Seems like the transmission is "learning" with the modification made due to increased exhaust flow. I know with any tuning charges made in the Duramax Allison transmission requires some driving before the shift points are optimized. Is this a "smart" transmission?
I don’t think it shifts differently. I think I just notice the shifts more now that I can hear the exhaust. I think it sounds and shifts better in trailer mode.

Should have no impact on the tranny.

I don’t think it shifts differently. I think I just notice the shifts more now that I can hear the exhaust. I think it sounds and shifts better in trailer mode.
Yeah I thought of that too. Might be something with the reduced back pressure on freer flowing exhaust. Seems to rev quicker, so when I am in traffic accelerating a little, then roll off as traffic slows it shifts too early, then lugs a little and feels soft. I also notice it when I roll around a corner, it'll shift as I decelerate getting into corner, then it's soft coming out. Didn't do it before, so not sure. I'll have to feel it out some more and see what happens.

Last edited:
A few more videos with driving sound. Not really getting on it since my wife is driving in the hood. Listen with some bass or it doesn't tell you much.

Attachments

• 20230813_110830.mp4
    15.5 MB
  • 20230813_110905.mp4
    9.8 MB
  • 20230813_110954.mp4
    13.3 MB
Installed the Magnaflow 19543 exhaust system. It really sounds great. Not loud on startup, sounds great running through the gears (especially manual 1-5 and tow/haul mode), easy install, excellent materials and craftsmanship, low cost at $528 delivered in 2.5 days from Hottexhaust.com. I believe that is a Magnaflow company. Not much drive time, but I can recommend this one

I'm very interested in doing this to my truck. My question is, Do you experience any kind of exhaust leaks since clamps are being used and not welded ?? That would be a deal breaker for me, Thanks !

Reactions: AXE
I'm very interested in doing this to my truck. My question is, Do you experience any kind of exhaust leaks since clamps are being used and not welded ?? That would be a deal breaker for me, Thanks !
Most of the time, clamps are fine and won't leak. I, however, always like to have my exhaust welded.

Most of the time, clamps are fine and won't leak. I, however, always like to have my exhaust welded.
I had a Borla exhaust done on my high Country and the shop Mig welded all the fittings even though the kit came with nice SS clamps. I also like the fittings to be welded if at all possible. I'm in the HVAC field and I see lot's of guys using Staybright 8 soft solder with Mapp gas on fittings but I'm old school and I like to use 15% silver rods with Oxy and Acetylene to complete my fittings, A much stronger weld. Perhaps I can use my silver solder on this Magnaflow exhaust fittings instead of clamps.

No leaks that I could tell. The clamps are pretty wide and and have nice size bolts, so you can torque them down good and solid. I started them each and went back and forth between them a couple times to make sure they squared up good. There is about 2.75+ inches of overlap at each of the three well formed joints. There's about 1/8 to 1/4 inch play at each joint based upon the cuts in stock exhaust. Makes for a pretty tight fit. Will retorque again to make sure they don't come loose.

The rear joint is up high near the shock and hangers, so might be a little hard to weld. Possibly on a lift it would be easier.

One of the reasons I bought this exhaust was the ease of install with clamps. I figured if I didn't like the sound I could pull it and drop in another Magnaflow crate muffler for a different sound pretty easily and minimal cost. It sounds great, so no longer worried about that. Now that I know I like it, you could weld it.

Last edited:

I have same one and it’s great Did straight pipe and on the high way it was torture

I have same one and it’s great Did straight pipe and on the high way it was torture
Yeah they did a really good job with this package. Great sound quality, but no annoying drone or noise.

I am wondering how the longevity is going to be for the steel wool and fiber packed can on the exhaust. I know on motorcycles I repack them occasionally to keep the sound in check, but they are most fiber material.

Last edited:
Yeah they did a really good job with this package. Great sound quality, but no annoying drone or noise.

I am wondering how the longevity is going to be for the wool and fiber packed can on the exhaust. I know on motorcycles I repack them occasionally to keep the sound in check, but the are most fiber material.
I think Flow master & Borla are the only ones who don't use some kind of packing.

Reactions: AXE

Most Member Reactions

Back