Infotainment Audio Cuts In & Out 23 ZR2

Did a bit of a test this weekend, results below. To be clear, the behavior I’m experiencing is like the stereo system mute button is hit for a split second or two randomly the first 5-10 minutes (on average 3-4 times) after startup and driving begins. After 10’ish minutes, zero problems. It’s a bit awkward if you are singing along…you go solo with no supporting background vocals or instruments 😅

It happened consistently in every scenario below…I could NOT find a scenario it didn’t do it.

- iPhone 14 connected via Bluetooth with CarPlay enabled listening to various music apps
- iPhone 14 connected via Bluetooth without CarPlay enabled listening to various music apps
- iPhone 14 connected via Bluetooth without CarPlay enabled listening FM radio
- iPhone 14 connected via Bluetooth with CarPlay enabled listening to FM radio
- NO phone connected listening to FM radio

I let my XM run out recently but I know it consistently occurred before the trial expired but I would have had a phone connected. The only scenario I couldn’t prove here is XM with no phone connected. I was able to see the behavior with no phone connected with FM radio so have to assume XM would be the same.

It would appear to be an infotainment hardware or software glitch as there may be another scenario to try here but that’s a pretty solid test and the behavior existed across the board.
I just got back from doing the same and I do have XM. Regardless of source, it made no difference. As you stated...it's like hitting the mute button for a few seconds periodically of the first 5-10 minutes. Hopefully an update will fix this if GM is even aware of it.

Did a bit of a test this weekend, results below. To be clear, the behavior I’m experiencing is like the stereo system mute button is hit for a split second or two randomly the first 5-10 minutes (on average 3-4 times) after startup and driving begins. After 10’ish minutes, zero problems. It’s a bit awkward if you are singing along…you go solo with no supporting background vocals or instruments 😅

It happened consistently in every scenario below…I could NOT find a scenario it didn’t do it.

- iPhone 14 connected via Bluetooth with CarPlay enabled listening to various music apps
- iPhone 14 connected via Bluetooth without CarPlay enabled listening to various music apps
- iPhone 14 connected via Bluetooth without CarPlay enabled listening FM radio
- iPhone 14 connected via Bluetooth with CarPlay enabled listening to FM radio
- NO phone connected listening to FM radio

I let my XM run out recently but I know it consistently occurred before the trial expired but I would have had a phone connected. The only scenario I couldn’t prove here is XM with no phone connected. I was able to see the behavior with no phone connected with FM radio so have to assume XM would be the same.

It would appear to be an infotainment hardware or software glitch as there may be another scenario to try here but that’s a pretty solid test and the behavior existed across the board.
Yeah, I originally thought it went away when I disconnected my phone, but I think it just happen to align with it going away after 10 minutes of run time. I did the same testing except with XM radio, Carplay, and bluetooth audio. I found the same results. It happened in every scenario, but usually (not always) stopped after 10 minutes or so.

This happened to mine shortly after I bought it. I drove around for a few days thinking it was an antenna issue. Troubleshooted the best I could and ultimately just factory reset the thing. That fixed it and I haven’t had the issue resurface. It’s been months since that time currently. You do have to go in and customize all your settings again but I suppose that is a small price to pay.

Mine does the same as mentioned above. Always goes away after about 5 minutes but it is annoying. I'll have to try the factory reset that "ZR2dude" suggests. Will report back.

Mine does the same as mentioned above. Always goes away after about 5 minutes but it is annoying. I'll have to try the factory reset that "ZR2dude" suggests. Will report back.
Thanks...before I do a full reset, it will be nice to know that it either solved the issue for you or still same old same old.

glad i found this thread, the past week or so i've noticed this same issue. Thought it might have been a spotty internet connection, but after seeing it's not just me i'm convinced it's a software issue.

This happened to mine shortly after I bought it. I drove around for a few days thinking it was an antenna issue. Troubleshooted the best I could and ultimately just factory reset the thing. That fixed it and I haven’t had the issue resurface. It’s been months since that time currently. You do have to go in and customize all your settings again but I suppose that is a small price to pay.
I'm sure a silly question but how do you perform the Factory Reset?
I've been annoyed long enough. TYIA

Reactions: AXE
Have a 23 Silverado Zr2 and when hooked to CarPlay the audio when watching a video on my phone the sound is like 2 seconds behind. When parked people. Really annoying. Even touching the screen on CarPlay to pause music it takes a couple seconds to react. Happens wireless and threw usbc. Find this system really lagging. Coming from a 22 f150 limited that was spot on in the audio

Have a 23 Silverado Zr2 and when hooked to CarPlay the audio when watching a video on my phone the sound is like 2 seconds behind. When parked people. Really annoying. Even touching the screen on CarPlay to pause music it takes a couple seconds to react. Happens wireless and threw usbc. Find this system really lagging. Coming from a 22 f150 limited that was spot on in the audio
What you are experiencing is not normal and mine does not react that way at all. It its very fast and no lag. Try doing the factory reset to see if that changes things for you.

Last edited:
Mine does this only if I am parked under a overhang or enclosed parking structure. When driving out in the open, no problems.

I just got 500 miles logged and I have heard my radio cut out for a second several times. I onkyblosten to SiriusXM, but sometimes I have Android auto running too. There were a few times early on that SiriusXM seemed to lock up and I had to switch channels and it started again with no problem. No real pattern for me, but it happens.

I just got 500 miles logged and I have heard my radio cut out for a second several times. I onkyblosten to SiriusXM, but sometimes I have Android auto running too. There were a few times early on that SiriusXM seemed to lock up and I had to switch channels and it started again with no problem. No real pattern for me, but it happens.
I onkyblosten to XM too ;)

If I had $205k, I would have left with it.

A month ago they had this one and it was only $105k. Seems like a deal now!

Attachments

• 20221207_175900.jpg
    20221207_175900.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 31
Same here, very disappointing. Factory reset doesn't help. It's like the processor is way under powered and can't handle all the functions. It's worse at startup when everything is booting up.

I did a factory reset today and the problem appears to be solved for now. Mine didn't start doing until I had it for a few weeks so I won't be surprised if it returns.
I did one to fix the audio cut issue and it worked for a couple weeks, then the issue came right back.

Jumping in on the class action here. :ninja:

Mine does this as well, various audio sources. takes me about 5 minutes to reach the highway for my normal commute, where I don't notice it happening at all. Similar if not the exact same to everyone else's experience here. I'll factory reset, but based on experience shared here, it looks like it will be back in a few weeks. I'll report to the dealer at my next visit. Disappointing.

It's one of those things where it's not bad enough that I want to take it in, and have a rookie mechanic tear apart the dash to tell me CCND. However, it is annoying enough that for the price point on this truck, should be non-existent. Ideally a service bulletin is issued soon, and all it is, is a OTA software update. (y)

Frustrating. In the meantime... now me and the mad scientist gotta rip apart the block, and replace the piston rings you fried...

Hopefully that does it.

Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 7.37.30 AM.png

yeah sync4 is waaaaay better. this infotainment system has been really disappointing

Most Member Reactions

Back