Paint chipping

Does anyone know how the hood scoop attaches? Does it use 3M type tape or does it bolt through the hood? Since I haven't received my truck yet I can't look

My dealer said he's talked to a GM engineer and there is a known VIN range where the problems started. My truck has the hood issues and it sounds like parts are being made available to space the scoop after repainting the hood.

My dealer said he's talked to a GM engineer and there is a known VIN range where the problems started. My truck has the hood issues and it sounds like parts are being made available to space the scoop after repainting the hood.
Yeah, I think the VIN range is everything produced up to at least a few weeks ago. lol

Not sure if this is a sign but I found over spray on the bottom of my door. Maybe its a good sign I wont have paint peeling from the doors? But, I also ran my fingers on the bottom edge and I felt some areas were smooth and some rough. I've already contact my dealership and a copy of the bulletin that ckwilson73 posted.
That's a paint run or drip.

Just started to see mine chip. Mine was delivered in late March. It’s going to eventually be everyone.

Wonder if there is a way to put spacer so doesn’t chip or some other idea?
At this point, everyone needs to wait on GM's final solution to this. If you try to come up with some homemade solution, they can deny your warranty claim. Best bet is to leave it alone until GM comes up with the fix.

Wonder if there is a way to put spacer so doesn’t chip or some other idea?
Thats why I was thinking they will come up with some kind of seal around the scoop, between the scoop and the hood. Repaint, put on the seal, problem solved. Probably too easy. lol

At this point, everyone needs to wait on GM's final solution to this. If you try to come up with some homemade solution, they can deny your warranty claim. Best bet is to leave it alone until GM comes up with the fix.
I agree gearhead, I'm sure they will deny claims if you mess with it first.

The new Colorado ZR2 has a black hood insert, I wonder if it will fall victim to this as well.

I'm just surprised there was a decision to use this style anyway.
It's not functional. It costs more than a fully molded hood. It can't be made to be functional, because the hood isn't even open under it. Nothing under the hood requires a bulge, and even if it did, this hood couldn't support it because the hood sits lower under the bulge than the rest of the hood.
It's a completely strange thing they've done here. It looks great, but they could achieve the look they want way easier... OR for the money, make it functional.

Anyone else notice paint chipped off around the hood insert? I have paint that flaked off on both front corners of the hood insert
I just noticed on my ZR2 it is also flaking in both front corners, and a little bit in the center. Called my dealership and he said they were having problems with the same thing on the trail boss.

It has been three weeks and still waiting on GM to authorize the warranty work…

It has been three weeks and still waiting on GM to authorize the warranty work…
Just wait for the actual fix. My hood was repainted and it started chipping the same day I got it back which blows me away this wasn't caught before launch by gm

Just wait for the actual fix. My hood was repainted and it started chipping the same day I got it back which blows me away this wasn't caught before launch by gm
I am less concerned about my hood than my doors. The special paint they put on the bottom of the doors just keeps falling off. Up to about a dozen spots on three doors and the rocker along with more paint in the door jam. The door jam paint looks like poor Fitment and the doors and rocks is just bad paint.

I do have several other paint issues, along with the hood. The hood on mine is minor compared to everyone else’s.
1AC12565-8DD9-4FE7-B84F-2A777E58A10E.jpeg

Yeah, mine on the hood scoop is about 5-6" long on the driver's side. Passenger side is smaller, but still a few inches. I also have a 1" stop in the front center. 2 small chips on the bottom edge of the doors.

Attachments

• 20220730_190336.jpg
    20220730_190336.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 109
  • 20220730_190314.jpg
    20220730_190314.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 20220730_190204.jpg
    20220730_190204.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 109
Stopped at my dealership today and met with their warranty manager. He’s very aware of the problem and they have their fix that works. Scheduled for Aug 15th and they will take 3 days to repair. He informs me they will raise the hood mount so it does not rub on the hood. I believe some spacers. He did say there will be a small gap and they already fixed others who had the same problem and no returns. I asked if Chevy will come with a fix but he said that’s how it was designed.

After a month this is my response from the GM body shop.

Sorry for the delay, but I still don't have an update or answer for you yet. My manager, the regional body shop director, GM warranty clerk, GM general manager, and a couple other people are all involved in this. I will let you know when I have an answer or update. Thanks for your patience.

Not sure why this is taking so long!

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back