Paint chipping

My truck arrived and no chipping paint, which is surprising seeing as it sat for almost 5 months in Mexico. It's going to get a black PPF film under the scoop on Monday. Hopefully that will help keep it from chipping.
Any updates on how this came out Gearhead? Since mine is going to be white with the black hood "scoop" I was considering doing a red PPF under the black. Try and pull it together with the Flowtie.

Any updates on how this came out Gearhead? Since mine is going to be white with the black hood "scoop" I was considering doing a red PPF under the black. Try and pull it together with the Flowtie.
So after detailing my truck, I did find some very slight chipping on one corner of the scoop. After talking to my PPF guy, he didn't think it would help. He said that because of how tight the scoop is to the hood, vibration would probably just cause the PPF to lift. I decided to hold off on doing anything until GM has an official fix.

So after detailing my truck, I did find some very slight chipping on one corner of the scoop. After talking to my PPF guy, he didn't think it would help. He said that because of how tight the scoop is to the hood, vibration would probably just cause the PPF to lift. I decided to hold off on doing anything until GM has an official fix.
That is good information. I've been trying to brainstorm ideas on a temp fix but I haven't come up with one. A spacer is not ideal since too much air flow and you might get possible (worse)vibrations and/or whistling. Not a huge fan of the flex seal tape idea either, could trap water if not done perfectly. My Rubicon came with all the fake bulges and vents but they were definitely better thought out. Keep us posted on anything you come up with or if you here anything direct from GM. Appreciate it.

I am finally getting my truck from the body shop. Apparently the rock chip guard failed again! The body shop had to take it off and put it in their way. They say it is the prescribed process from GM causing it to fail. Truck looks great drives great and I still love her.

This is exactly what my ppf guy said as well. Or that the tolerances were so close that it could potentially rub through the ppf as well. He also said I probably wouldn’t be happy anyway because you would easily be able to see the edge of the ppf. He said they just need a spacer. He said he has done this with other vehicles with scoops like this but it takes a lot of time and no matter what the hood needs repainted. So what would you do in the meantime what the paint was curing. Just leave the scoop off? This is a much bigger deal than I originally realized.

That is good information. I've been trying to brainstorm ideas on a temp fix but I haven't come up with one. A spacer is not ideal since too much air flow and you might get possible (worse)vibrations and/or whistling. Not a huge fan of the flex seal tape idea either, could trap water if not done perfectly. My Rubicon came with all the fake bulges and vents but they were definitely better thought out. Keep us posted on anything you come up with or if you here anything direct from GM. Appreciate it.
Agreed. No matter what there will be water and dirt trapped under this scoop.

Curious if you have been hearing anything new about a hood paint recall/fix in the works from GM? Thanks.

My hood got repainted about a month ago and have almost a thousand miles on since. The gasket that was used under the scoop increased the area between the scoop and hood. I will add a couple pictures once the snow melts of the hood to show the extra space.

My hood got repainted about a month ago and have almost a thousand miles on since. The gasket that was used under the scoop increased the area between the scoop and hood. I will add a couple pictures once the snow melts of the hood to show the extra space.
Was it a dealer solution? Any details on the “gasket” that was used? Just curious on the specifics here. Thx

From what I understand my dealer submitted pictures and asked GM for direction on repair. It sounds like an engineer reviewed the situation and provided the document. I had seen this paperwork at the body shop and it showed the thickness of the foam that needed to be used in different spots. The date on the paperwork wasn't current but has seemed to fix the issue with my hood.

From what I understand my dealer submitted pictures and asked GM for direction on repair. It sounds like an engineer reviewed the situation and provided the document. I had seen this paperwork at the body shop and it showed the thickness of the foam that needed to be used in different spots. The date on the paperwork wasn't current but has seemed to fix the issue with my hood.
I also have foam under my scoop. Not the official fix. I was told this is short term until they figure something else out…

Does anyone have a phone and email for GM to slam them with paint complaints and request a fix asap? This will be going on for a close to a year soon.

There is a lot of discussion on this at the the two zr2 owner groups on Facebook. From a recent conversation, gm is looking at a spacer.

Mine is at order code 3400 so I don’t have personal experience to offer. Hopefully your dealership and/gm correct the issue for you and others while ensuring satisfactory repairs.
2022 Colorado paint chipping on tailgate, doors, and fenders. We also had issues when swapping out to black emblems. Never in the history of our long standing Chevy owenership have we had an issue like this.

Picked up my truck about 2 weeks ago, its been bouncing around to the tint shop and some other shops so haven't posted up any introduction pics. Finally got a chance to really look at my hood expecting to find the chipping. Assumed since the truck was white it would hide it better. No chips at all and from what I can tell my truck has a foam piece between the hood and scoop. My truck was one of the late 2022 builds. Anyone think this is what the fix will be? One pic attached.
IMG_5512.JPEG

Last edited:
My truck is less then 2 weeks old and has started chipping at the corners pretty good. I took it to my dealership and had to argue with the head of their service department that it was paint chipping and not dirt. He spent several minutes trying to rub and scratch the "dirt" away. I insisted that if it was dirt he needed to clean it and show me blue paint underneath. After taking my truck into the back for 10 minutes he came back and admitted it was chipping. He directed me to a repair shop to have it repainted under warranty. He stated factory paint defects were only covered under warranty for the 1st 2000 miles. When I went to the repair shop they gave me a quote but did not recommend doing anything with it until there was some kind of fix for the cause of the chipping. Repainting will only be a short term fix and they thought it was a bad idea to repaint over the factory paint at this time for an issue that is likely to come back.

I'm not sure what my next step should be. I really do not want to have the hood repainted only to have this issue return but also don't want to be past my warranty period and have this be completely my problem.

Any advice on what I should do next?

My truck is less then 2 weeks old and has started chipping at the corners pretty good. I took it to my dealership and had to argue with the head of their service department that it was paint chipping and not dirt. He spent several minutes trying to rub and scratch the "dirt" away. I insisted that if it was dirt he needed to clean it and show me blue paint underneath. After taking my truck into the back for 10 minutes he came back and admitted it was chipping. He directed me to a repair shop to have it repainted under warranty. He stated factory paint defects were only covered under warranty for the 1st 2000 miles. When I went to the repair shop they gave me a quote but did not recommend doing anything with it until there was some kind of fix for the cause of the chipping. Repainting will only be a short term fix and they thought it was a bad idea to repaint over the factory paint at this time for an issue that is likely to come back.

I'm not sure what my next step should be. I really do not want to have the hood repainted only to have this issue return but also don't want to be past my warranty period and have this be completely my problem.

Any advice on what I should do next?
My advice is to wait for the official GM fix.

Most Member Reactions

Back