Brake Job ?

SeaHunt

Reaction score
My pad life indicator is telling me I have around 45% of pad life remaining. My question is, Is the dealer the only one that can reset the computer once the pads are replaced or can an independent shop/mechanic/myself do it ? I've always done my own brake jobs until I purchased this truck. I just don't want the truck throwing codes as I've read in other places. Thank you !

Reactions: AXE
My pad life indicator is telling me I have around 45% of pad life remaining. My question is, Is the dealer the only one that can reset the computer once the pads are replaced or can an independent shop/mechanic/myself do it ? I've always done my own brake jobs until I purchased this truck. I just don't want the truck throwing codes as I've read in other places. Thank you !
I believe you can do it through the gauge cluster.

That's pretty good. I'm sort of the mindset to change them early and not run them down too low where pad can just get brittle and break. Then you're doing rotors too.

My 2005 Duramax had the original brake pads when I sold it after 10 years and 150k miles. They still looked 65%. That was with towing and city traffic. I don't brake hard, but that was crazy. Current Duramax has 84k and they look great. Not sure why all brakes can be that good.

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back