DSSV shocks for heavy loads

theGrooveTime

Reaction score
Please pardon my ignorance with respect to suspension systems, I hope this isn't too dumb of a question.

I'm looking at getting the new HD ZR2 and would be planning to use a slide in truck camper. The camper fully loaded with gear would be under, but nearly reaching, the payload limit. Would having this heavy of a load in the truck be tough on the shocks, and specifically the Multimatic DSSV shocks?

Thanks

Reactions: AXE
I think your gonna want to add air bags or overload springs for load like that. I prefer air bags as you can adjust accordingly to camper weight + gear + food + water.

I think the HD ZR2 DSSV suspension will be firmer than the 1500, but my biggest concern is that it'll be a little soft for a tow rig or heavy cargo.

Last edited:
Thanks, that makes sense. I would plan to add the 'heavy duty spring package' when ordering the truck, and I would add airbags. I was mainly curious if there was anything about the DSSV shocks that would make them not as well suited to that sort of load.

I don't think anyone really knows. They are brand new and untested. I know I've seen a few posts about leaking shocks on the 1500s. Typically by someone who overloaded their truck right when they got it. If the 2500 is anything like the 1500s, Then I wouldn't buy a ZR2 HD if I was planning on maxing out its capacity. Or if you do, I would expect air bags are a must. Not knocking them. I bought the 1500 knowing it had soft suspension. But I've had trucks that could easily haul their rated capacity or more and I've had trucks that even the stated capacity was a bit optimistic. ZR2 is the latter lol. I suspect the ZR2 HD will be similar. The suspension will be geared way more towards better ride off road than heavy hauling. Honestly you are much better off giving your self a buffer. IE, If I knew I needed haul 1500Lbs. I wouldn't buy a new truck rated at 1480Lbs. It's one thing to make due with what you have. Doesn't make a ton of sense when starting from scratch to cut it so close.

I think I’ll have to have airbags installed when I start converting my 1500 to a overlanding truck. I have to say though I’m worried about the airbags limiting the flex and articulation of the suspension. I’m not looking to go hard core with it off road, but there will be times.

I've never felt like my air bags affected my ride when aired down to recommended 5 psi. If you install an air compressor, it'll always keep 5 psi in them.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone really knows. They are brand new and untested. I know I've seen a few posts about leaking shocks on the 1500s. Typically by someone who overloaded their truck right when they got it. If the 2500 is anything like the 1500s, Then I wouldn't buy a ZR2 HD if I was planning on maxing out its capacity. Or if you do, I would expect air bags are a must. Not knocking them. I bought the 1500 knowing it had soft suspension. But I've had trucks that could easily haul their rated capacity or more and I've had trucks that even the stated capacity was a bit optimistic. ZR2 is the latter lol. I suspect the ZR2 HD will be similar. The suspension will be geared way more towards better ride off road than heavy hauling. Honestly you are much better off giving your self a buffer. IE, If I knew I needed haul 1500Lbs. I wouldn't buy a new truck rated at 1480Lbs. It's one thing to make due with what you have. Doesn't make a ton of sense when starting from scratch to cut it so close.
Do you really think that GM would put these shocks on an HD without fully testing them? There is a difference in the suspensions between a 1500 and a 2500 beyond just the DSSV shocks.

Do you really think that GM would put these shocks on an HD without fully testing them? There is a difference in the suspensions between a 1500 and a 2500 beyond just the DSSV shocks.
There is testing to meet a standard and there is real world applications that people are used to and will put the trucks through. I don’t think anyone is saying or thinking they aren’t tested, personally I’m curious about overall handling and driving characteristics under load in real world applications long term vs a traditional suspension setup.

The reality is, from my own real world experience, a standard HD handles a bit differently loaded than even a mildly lifted HD with softer suspension…it’s simply the reality of the situation. It’s not that it doesn’t “pass the test” but it does in fact handle a bit differently.

An example, a Porsche is a rear engine sports car, can do all the things a front engine v8 can do and pass all those “tests”…but they sure do handle differently. Obviously not a great apples to apples there but I think folks are just curious in general.

If you aren’t going to load your HD diesel, you ain’t got nothing to worry about my friend.

There is testing to meet a standard and there is real world applications that people are used to and will put the trucks through. I don’t think anyone is saying or thinking they aren’t tested, personally I’m curious about overall handling and driving characteristics under load in real world applications long term vs a traditional suspension setup.

The reality is, from my own real world experience, a standard HD handles a bit differently loaded than even a mildly lifted HD with softer suspension…it’s simply the reality of the situation. It’s not that it doesn’t “pass the test” but it does in fact handle a bit differently.

An example, a Porsche is a rear engine sports car, can do all the things a front engine v8 can do and pass all those “tests”…but they sure do handle differently. Obviously not a great apples to apples there but I think folks are just curious in general.

If you aren’t going to load your HD diesel, you ain’t got nothing to worry about my friend.
So it will handle my trips to the grocery store without issue? Sometimes those bags can get pretty heavy. Whew...that's good to know ;)

So it will handle my trips to the grocery store without issue? Sometimes those bags can get pretty heavy. Whew...that's good to know ;)
You’ll have horses to spare…

But joking aside, I am pretty interested to see the towing reviews and overall handling. I’m excited about the possibility of a solid performer on the farm and having some extra off-road chops on hunting trips out west.

You’ll have horses to spare…

But joking aside, I am pretty interested to see the towing reviews and overall handling. I’m excited about the possibility of a solid performer on the farm and having some extra off-road chops on hunting trips out west.
I hear ya my friend. You are correct that, for me, it won't matter since it's just a big toy that will do very little. But for others, it could make a big difference. I'll look forward to hearing thoughts once folks get their hands on them and can do what they do.

I'm not saying the truck won't do truck stuff. I'm saying it's lifted with off road suspension. It won't handle well at close to max capacity. It also won't handle trailers and heavy loads like a normal HDs either. You add softer off road suspension you lose some load handling. That's just how it works. The springs will be softer and the DSSV shock are multi valve. Soft but able to handle big hits.

I've towed and pulled a lot. My airbag thread was linked in this thread actually, lol. I figured out how to put airbags on a 1500 ZR2 because I realized instantly I would have to have them. I'm not even close to maxing out the tow rating with the stuff I normally tow either. Again I'm just guessing it will be the same on the HD. I could be wrong. Maybe a youtuber will actually stick 2800lbs in one and test drive it.

As far as all the differences besides shocks. I'm not so sure. Our ZR2s have all the exact same suspension components as a trailboss. The only difference is springs and shocks. I don't see why the HD ZR2 would be any different. It's only 1" taller than a standard HD. That's probably just the 35" tires and the shocks.

As far as all the differences besides shocks. I'm not so sure. Our ZR2s have all the exact same suspension components as a trailboss. The only difference is springs and shocks. I don't see why the HD ZR2 would be any different. It's only 1" taller than a standard HD. That's probably just the 35" tires and the shocks.
Our ZR2 and Trailboss are 1500 1/2 ton trucks. The only difference being the DSSV shocks and factory lift. The 2500 is 3/4 ton. You already know this. They do not use the same suspension setup on a 2500 they use on a 1500. I believe the rear leaf spring setup is different (beefier) in a 2500. The lift on the 1500 ZR2 is higher than that of the HD as well. 2" versus 1" I think. As far as the DSSV shocks, I do believe they are the same part numbers but not 100% sure if they made any mods to it for the HD. My only point above was that the set-up on a 2500 is different than a 1500. If anyone has any additional details, please do share.

The answer is a resounding yes! If they use the same logic as they have for bad DEF systems, infotainment/electronics, and lifters they'll definitely screw us every chance they can. Remember, customer satisfaction is about half way down the list of shit that matters to them.

I've driven every ZR2 made since 1995 and they've all been great rides and handling. The HDs are likely to be a stiffer ride due to heavy leaf springs and torsion bars. If they get the valving correct, then that with make them a better ride. The chances of the valving being correct is pretty good cause GM wasn't the developer, Mulitmatic probably has it figured out tho.

I can tell you one thing, about 1 month after I take delivery you'll get a fair assessment.

Last edited:
The more you load it, the better it rides. That's what you get with stiffer springs and torsion bars. Better be hauling canned goods and water back from the store.

2500 does have a different suspension from a 1500. I was more saying the ZR2 HD will be just like any other 2500 except with different shocks and lighter springs. Just like our 1500 Zr2 compared to other 1500s. But those lighter springs and different shocks is what makes them worse at load handling.

Our ZR2 and Trailboss are 1500 1/2 ton trucks. The only difference being the DSSV shocks and factory lift. The 2500 is 3/4 ton. You already know this. They do not use the same suspension setup on a 2500 they use on a 1500. I believe the rear leaf spring setup is different (beefier) in a 2500. The lift on the 1500 ZR2 is higher than that of the HD as well. 2" versus 1" I think. As far as the DSSV shocks, I do believe they are the same part numbers but not 100% sure if they made any mods to it for the HD. My only point above was that the set-up on a 2500 is different than a 1500. If anyone has any additional details, please do share.
A stock HD sits higher than the 1500 ZR2. The 2500 HD will be close to 7 feet tall back of cab. The bodies of these trucks sit higher on the frame. This is a big truck, by every metric, and is +2000 lbs heavier. The first thing your gonna notice when you leave the lot is everything feels and handles differently. You adjust everything you do to turn, park, back, tow, etc.

The first time through an off camber intersection or driveway and your head is wobbling back and forth like a bobble head, you'll know your in an HD.

Last edited:
2500 does have a different suspension from a 1500. I was more saying the ZR2 HD will be just like any other 2500 except with different shocks and lighter springs. Just like our 1500 Zr2 compared to other 1500s. But those lighter springs and different shocks is what makes them worse at load handling.
I'm with ya!

Can confirm that I've been pulling a 17K lbs camper with it. It doesn't sag as much as you think it would. However, I still want airbags just because I don't want to keep stressing the suspension.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back