Paint chipping

After a month this is my response from the GM body shop.

Sorry for the delay, but I still don't have an update or answer for you yet. My manager, the regional body shop director, GM warranty clerk, GM general manager, and a couple other people are all involved in this. I will let you know when I have an answer or update. Thanks for your patience.

Not sure why this is taking so long!
Thank you

I need some help! So after 6 weeks GM says it just rock chips they want more eyes on it. The body shops original quote for 7 was rejected and they told the body shop 4800. I am going back to the shop to meet with both service managers and hopefully the paint rep. Meanwhile paint issues keep piling up.

My ask to this group is please reply to this post with your pictures of the chip guard falling off your doors. The shop told me that GM has never heard of the chip gaurd falling off before

That's ridiculous. All you have to do is touch the rock guard and you can feel how poor the paint quality is. I could easily pick it off with my finger nail. For gm to deny that is insane

I need some help! So after 6 weeks GM says it just rock chips they want more eyes on it. The body shops original quote for 7 was rejected and they told the body shop 4800. I am going back to the shop to meet with both service managers and hopefully the paint rep. Meanwhile paint issues keep piling up.

My ask to this group is please reply to this post with your pictures of the chip guard falling off your doors. The shop told me that GM has never heard of the chip gaurd falling off before
Is that actually GM or the dealers? Because GM knows about the issues with the ZR2's, but maybe not all dealers are aware of the issue being widespread?

Is that actually GM or the dealers? Because GM knows about the issues with the ZR2's, but maybe not all dealers are aware of the issue being widespread?
I agree. I will be showing this dealer this thread on Monday.

Here's two pictures - my truck has 86 miles on it, and has had these since I picked it up. There's a little water spotting on the actual rockers below the door that got wet when they added the tint yesterday, but if you look at the doors themselves you can see the chipping on both sides.

Driver's Side:
20220818_082949.jpg

Passenger Side:
20220818_082740.jpg

Question for you guys:

I am still waiting on my ZR2 to arrive (built 6/8, 4D00 since). If it arrives with chips on hood and/or doors, should I really drive it home? I know the final decision is ultimately mine, but knowing what I know and potentially having paint issues on my truck, they can't really expect me to accept that, right? Just wondering your guys' opinion. Has anyone here known about the paint issue on their truck and still signed the paperwork? I really like the truck still overall, just disappointed in this quality defect.

Question for you guys:

I am still waiting on my ZR2 to arrive (built 6/8, 4D00 since). If it arrives with chips on hood and/or doors, should I really drive it home? I know the final decision is ultimately mine, but knowing what I know and potentially having paint issues on my truck, they can't really expect me to accept that, right? Just wondering your guys' opinion. Has anyone here known about the paint issue on their truck and still signed the paperwork? I really like the truck still overall, just disappointed in this quality defect.
I knew that it would probably show up with them, and when it did show up, I pointed them all out to the salesman - the trailboss units on the lot had the same issue. At the end of the day, I'm a perfectionist, especially with vehicles, but I needed a truck so I didn't have much choice but to take delivery after waiting for 8 months. I'm still in the honeymoon period, but if they can't fix it I may just order another 2023 and drive this one in the year that it takes to build the next one...

Here's two pictures - my truck has 86 miles on it, and has had these since I picked it up. There's a little water spotting on the actual rockers below the door that got wet when they added the tint yesterday, but if you look at the doors themselves you can see the chipping on both sides.

Driver's Side:
View attachment 703

Passenger Side:
View attachment 704
Thanks! And good luck.

Well the dealers body shop refused to work on my truck. He said we was not willing to take the project on.

I went back to the dealer I purchased the car from. The service manager is personally taking my truck on. The good news is the rock chip coating is now listed as a known problem along with the hood. They are not fixing the hood yet as GM doesn’t know how.

The rock chip fix is for the doors rocker panel front fenders and the bed. I believe he told me it is an 11,000 dollar fix and it is especially bad on the white ones. I was told for all paint it will probably be pushing 20,000.

Well the dealers body shop refused to work on my truck. He said we was not willing to take the project on.

I went back to the dealer I purchased the car from. The service manager is personally taking my truck on. The good news is the rock chip coating is now listed as a known problem along with the hood. They are not fixing the hood yet as GM doesn’t know how.

The rock chip fix is for the doors rocker panel front fenders and the bed. I believe he told me it is an 11,000 dollar fix and it is especially bad on the white ones. I was told for all paint it will probably be pushing
Are they going down to the raw metal and repainting? That cost seems excessive.

Are they going down to the raw metal and repainting? That cost seems excessive.
All rock chip on the truck must be completely removed. It was not allowed to fully cure is what I was told. You have to scuff all the doors, bed, rockers and front fenders then reclear. 1 week min.

For all I know about body work it could be 2000 grand. Just what the service manager told me.

Would a professional ceramic coating application do anything to prevent this issue if it’s not happened already?

Would a professional ceramic coating application do anything to prevent this issue if it’s not happened already?
No. I was told it did not cure properly. I was also told ceramic coating could give GM an out for warranting your paint.

No. I was told it did not cure properly. I was also told ceramic coating could give GM an out for warranting your paint.
Well I’m glad I asked. Guess I can take the money I had budgeted for that and add the Borla exhaust. If cc voids a warranty that’s kinda nuts imo but definitely believable.

Most Member Reactions

Back