Paint chipping

GM knows about the issue but is telling dealers not to fix it yet because they don’t know how.
they should of put a rubber seal a round it then that would of not happened my scoop is loose it does move a round push down on it and you will see the proplem

Picked up my new rig yesterday and thanks to this forum I knew what to look.
I did find paint flaking off on the bottom of the doors. Dealer claims they have never seen that before, I had them put write it down and say they would fix it. So now my question is how long do I wait to let them fix and does anyone know the right way to fix it

Picked up my new rig yesterday and thanks to this forum I knew what to look.
I did find paint flaking off on the bottom of the doors. Dealer claims they have never seen that before, I had them put write it down and say they would fix it. So now my question is how long do I wait to let them fix and does anyone know the right way to fix it
GM has a fix for it. Tell your dealer there is a bulletin out on the rock chip guard.

Picked up my ZR2 yesterday and checked for the paint defects around the hood scoop but all looked good. 45 minute drive home and looking at it the next day already seeing the rubbing. Definitely must be related to vibration and heat of engine. Likely why you don’t see at dealer since they aren’t running the trucks long or with road vibration till after they leave the lot.

Picked up my ZR2 yesterday and checked for the paint defects around the hood scoop but all looked good. 45 minute drive home and looking at it the next day already seeing the rubbing. Definitely must be related to vibration and heat of engine. Likely why you don’t see at dealer since they aren’t running the trucks long or with road vibration till after they leave the lot.
We've seen it on every one of them delivered to our dealership, right off of the transport.

Does the issue keep progressively getting worse or is there a point that it stops?

We've seen it on every one of them delivered to our dealership, right off of the transport.
Is it worth it to take it in for service to at least document it for when a fix is available or just wait? What are most people doing?

I had mine repainted and i looked at it before i left and it was perfect. by the time i got to work it was already chipping off and it's literally 3 miles away from the body shop

I had mine repainted and i looked at it before i left and it was perfect. by the time i got to work it was already chipping off and it's literally 3 miles away from the body shop
Was this “GM fix” for it. Someone said they have a bulletin out on it with a fix

No this was awhile ago. There is a bulletin but no repair at this time as far as I know

I guess Im the odd ball out.....knock on wood. I have yet to see any chipping on the hood or doors, just hit 1800 miles. just took a trip to the beach 800mi~ RT. fresh wash and wax after, paying close attention the chip prone areas

Last edited:
add mine to the list.at the dealer now.

Attachments

• BC9B3912-E2F3-4D70-94D2-5388DB5A2BB9.jpeg
    BC9B3912-E2F3-4D70-94D2-5388DB5A2BB9.jpeg
    340.1 KB · Views: 77
  • C42A4FE7-C047-4AF3-9FF9-69D6E03C247E.jpeg
    C42A4FE7-C047-4AF3-9FF9-69D6E03C247E.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 77
  • 88F0AE33-95F1-407A-A6F8-22F03A81E2E6.jpeg
    88F0AE33-95F1-407A-A6F8-22F03A81E2E6.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 79
  • B8E63530-FDBF-439C-B880-5249B5E1814F.jpeg
    B8E63530-FDBF-439C-B880-5249B5E1814F.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 77
I guess Im the odd ball out.....knock on wood. I have yet to see any chipping on the hood or doors, just hit 1800 miles. just took a trip to the beach 800mi~ RT. fresh wash and wax after, paying close attention the chip prone areas
4000 miles and zero paint issues. Dark Ash Gray

Looks like I spoke too soon. Barely noticeable I wonder if it will get worse? Maybe I’ll wait for GM to have an actual fix 0E63082D-B3B0-4E70-A3F6-43D49F6F12B7.jpegB22299E5-53BE-4146-93BB-6CAF865EBCFB.jpeg

Drove a trailboss yesterday in dark ash metallic that just showed up at my local dealership.
Was thinking about purchasing but decided to wait (mostly because I already ordered a topper from ARE that's been built and fits the standard tailgate, this one had the multiflex).
Did a close inspection on the hood scoop. Was literally dropped off at the dealership 3 days ago. I was the first person to drive it. Already had the chipping paint on all four corners of the scoop.
Everyone make sure you inspect your truck when you pick it up.....hoping mine will be here soon....

I should add that the other interesting thing is this....
The trailboss was ordered on the exact same day as my ZR2 and built the exact same timeframe.
Obviously it is here....and the ZR2 is still sitting in Mexico.
Sooooo, one would assume that the missing parts are specific to the ZR2 or the other higher trim levels (maybe the high country)?
Just an observation...

Can add me to the list.
image.jpg

One of these days at work ill have to pull the hood and scoop off and fix it. I’ll touch it up or have the paint department blow color in and clear the hood. I’ll apply PPF in the little areas it rubs.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back